Legojon

Dash cam fitting guide

bgb

Jan 22, 2019
I have a rear view dash cam. Not installed yet but I like it. I have a couple's of issues. One, the straps are not big enough to fix on to the rear view mirror and if the fuse you use allows power permanently, and I mean when the car is off, would it kill the battery? I ask this as the device is designed to activate a recording when the vehicle is bumped?

Sent from my MI 8 Lite using Tapatalk

Would depend highly on the camera you have to be able to determine what its operating parameters are.

My Thinkware F770 2CH uses a switched and perm live, one for continues driving which turns on when the switched fuse becomes live, the other is power during parking mode. The camera has a iPhone app that allows me to change the settings of the battery drop level, so when the camera detects the cars battery is below 11volts say, it shuts down.

I haven't tested the longevity of parking mode, i have my camera set to shut off after 24 hours as i don't foresee myself not driving it for longer than that, parked in a place where I'm concerned. When the car is in a compound for 2 weeks over a holiday break, i don't know if any camera will support that length of time!

DaRa

Nov 21, 2019
Thanks for the guide !
I bought this kit :
https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B0789G3QT8/ref=pe_3044141_185740131_TE_item
To go with this one :
https://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B0711K92J1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hopefully your browser will auto translate, if it doesn't : "AUKEY Dashcam Full HD 1080P" and "Dash Cam Hardwire Kit Mini USB wire 12V -24V à 5V"
Any tips for my MK3, about the fuses or anything else ? (never tried to do anything like that)
ofc feel free to link me a post if someone already asked and I missed it,
Thanks,
Cheers

DaRa

Nov 21, 2019
You can have a look at the MK3 fitting guide here:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index.php?threads/diy-hardwire-dashcam-installation.415052/

Keep in mind it also depends if you want your camera to be off when you leave the car, or you want it on for eg parking mode. That'll determine whether you use ignition live or permanent live.
thanks I'll get a good look at this guide.
Well I guess better go for the permanent mode, if the cam software is good enough it shouldn't drain my car's battery. So then Permanent live would be my choice
Unless I am missing something ?

DaRa

Nov 21, 2019
So does anyone know how/where I can plug my dashcam in the fuse box so it's stay Permanent please ? If I understood correctly this guide is for ignition

DaRa

Nov 21, 2019
I figured it out like a big boy !
I had to replace the fuse with the black connector I bought, but put it 1 position above to make it permanent.
Cheers

pedxxx

Nov 23, 2012
Guide now located in the new resources section of the site

Excellent instructions. Meant I could use a known working earth point. Unfortunately I can't get the dashcam (a Nextbase 412GW) to power up. It definitely works from cigarette lighter so I suspect the kit. Thing is I've ordered two kits and neither work. I think it is the inverter to blame. Going to try in my other car tonight but don't think I'll get any further forward.

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Excellent instructions. Meant I could use a known working earth point. Unfortunately I can't get the dashcam (a Nextbase 412GW) to power up. It definitely works from cigarette lighter so I suspect the kit. Thing is I've ordered two kits and neither work. I think it is the inverter to blame. Going to try in my other car tonight but don't think I'll get any further forward.

You sure the fuse your piggy backing off is live?

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise