1.5tsi fr exhaust conversion to cupra

Dec 8, 2019
Hi all, I have a 5f facelift 1.5tsi leon, and I have also bought a 280 cupra exhaust does anyone know what I need to do the conversion as I can see the 280 exhaust is not like the facelift 290 but seems to be quite close. Has anyone done this before,
Thanks

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
How much did you pay for the 280 system? You might have been better off just getting a custom exhaust put together and fitted, I got quoted £249 for a full stainless steel catback system from Tony Banks Exhausts in Leeds. I'd imagine that the mounts for the exhaust are fairly similar but where it connects to the back of the cat/engine would be a fair bit different. Won't you also have to chop up the right side of the bumper for the dual exits?

Dec 8, 2019
Hi I only paid 100 for cat back I had a feeling it would be different and yes will eventually have to cut out the other side of I do it or just get the cupra diffuser, kind of wish I did get a custom one going to seem too much hard work for what is

HighFlyingBird

2016 Leon FR 1.4 150 in Chilli Red 2019 - 2020
Jan 15, 2019
Leeds
Full system for 100 isn't a bad deal. You could see if you could cut yours out from before the middle triangular silencer and have the cupra system fitted there if it's the same pipe diametre, if not some sort of adapter would be needed. As for the bumper it would need to be cut, otherwise it's swapping out the whole back bumper. Any decent exhaust fitting place or body shop should be able to do a decent OEM looking job of it though, worst case scenario you buy a 3rd party diffuser to hide the cut

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Complete myth that turbo cars need back pressure, infact back pressure is a engine killer on tuned turbo cars
Apologies, as many people I got mixed up with exhaust flow velocity and back pressure. I'm definitely not a flow mechanic expert. I just knew one size exhaust doesn't suit all and bigger doesn't always equal better, even on turbo engines. As you have said back pressure isn't a good thing for turbo cars but every engine wants a high exhaust flow velocity for maximum performance. This is why wastegates exist to offset the back pressure implications of creating a high exhaust velocity flow system at lower rpms. Low exhaust velocity means low turbo spool resulting in lower power.

Reactions: The Daily Meme
Dec 8, 2019
Thinking of just putting the cupra back box on to where I want it and sleeving it, too much messing do you reckon itll sound different or not,

Dec 8, 2019
Thanks everyone for the advice too I'm going to take it to my local garage tonight or some time this week and then I'll let you know what's happening

MH0

Aug 7, 2019
Hi all, I have a 5f facelift 1.5tsi leon, and I have also bought a 280 cupra exhaust does anyone know what I need to do the conversion as I can see the 280 exhaust is not like the facelift 290 but seems to be quite close. Has anyone done this before,
Thanks
This is a simple job, my mate had his 2.0 tdi fitted with my old cupra backbox with tips on it. Take it to any garage that do exhausts and they should be able to do this for you without a problem. As its a dual exit exhaust, be prepared to spend a minimum of £250. Not cheap at all.

Dec 8, 2019
This is a simple job, my mate had his 2.0 tdi fitted with my old cupra backbox with tips on it. Take it to any garage that do exhausts and they should be able to do this for you without a problem. As its a dual exit exhaust, be prepared to spend a minimum of £250. Not cheap at all.
I've already got the exhaust just need it piping and swapping over.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise