Revo v APR v Custom map

RYANBRZ

Sep 10, 2019
This must have been discussed but I cant find a recent thread.

With a Revo & APR map + DSG map being in the region of £1200 - £1400 and a custom map + DSG at £500 I'm really struggling to justify paying the extra.

I'm aware that Revo and APR are the better maps as they have been engineered over a few years and that they will provide higher BHP numbers and give you better gear ratios and protect the engine slightly more potentially.

Some garages have also been providing custom maps that have guys that are experienced and have been doing their job for years so they will know the best way to map a car.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
There’s pros and cons to a mainstream tuner like Revo, APR and RacingLine versus a custom mapper.

The main benefit to a custom mapper is that you’ll get a custom map no one else has (as long as it’s a reputable tuner and not a £50 file back street garage job). And the map will be custom to your car setup, how it’s currently running and what the potential other mods unlock at that moment, in those conditions at the time.

However the main benefit of a tune from the mainstream guys is the R&D money and time spent developing and testing the maps over different conditions, different levels of tunes and to a safe limit. Thousands and thousands of miles of dyno and road testing. And then if you have an issue, you can go to any garage authorised by Revo, APR or RacingLine to have it looked at. A custom mapper, you’re tied to just them (usually).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
There’s pros and cons to a mainstream tuner like Revo, APR and RacingLine versus a custom mapper.

The main benefit to a custom mapper is that you’ll get a custom map no one else has (as long as it’s a reputable tuner and not a £50 file back street garage job). And the map will be custom to your car setup, how it’s currently running and what the potential other mods unlock at that moment, in those conditions at the time.

However the main benefit of a tune from the mainstream guys is the R&D money and time spent developing and testing the maps over different conditions, different levels of tunes and to a safe limit. Thousands and thousands of miles of dyno and road testing. And then if you have an issue, you can go to any garage authorised by Revo, APR or RacingLine to have it looked at. A custom mapper, you’re tied to just them (usually).

What he said ^

If you do go custom, do your research. I’ve seen a ‘custom’ tuned Golf R that had less than 10k on the clock and the engine was destroyed. When I first saw the video I thought it was a diesel with broken engine mounts.

@paddy6789 has seen the video too.

paddy6789

Staff member
Aug 31, 2016
Preston, Lancs
What he said ^

If you do go custom, do your research. I’ve seen a ‘custom’ tuned Golf R that had less than 10k on the clock and the engine was destroyed. When I first saw the video I thought it was a diesel with broken engine mounts.

@paddy6789 has seen the video too.

Ah yes. And that map was done by someone with years of experience too ‘apparently’. It was near enough a brand new Golf R too I seem to recall.

Best thing to do is to do your research on the guys who custom map. Get reviews, feedback of their work. There will be 2, maybe 3 names that come up for custom maps, Unicorn being one of them. They’re fantastic and the guy who runs it (Rick) is spot on.

One thing to note, just because a remap is cheaper, it doesn’t mean it’s better value for money. Everyone says ‘buy cheap, buy twice’.

Reactions: Zer0

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
Unless you are running loads of mods there is no point in a custom map, even an exhaust and intake i would still go generic, only really need a custom map when running different turbo setup.

quantum tuning are a big company i would just get a generic remap from there think they are £350

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Most "custom" maps aren't.

I also wouldn't use Quantum lol.

Stick to APR, REVO, Racingline, Unicorn, MRC (they do a lot of custom work but your stock car wont require custom).

Reactions: RYANBRZ

RYANBRZ

Sep 10, 2019
Most "custom" maps aren't.

I also wouldn't use Quantum lol.

Stick to APR, REVO, Racingline, Unicorn, MRC (they do a lot of custom work but your stock car wont require custom).

MRC tuning is only a 40 min drive away from me and they have good reviews. I will give them a call, thanks.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise