Rain Water creeping through driver side door

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
I have noticed recently with all the rain we have had lately that when I open the driver side door there is water always sitting at the top where the “felt” bit is fortunately it is not coming inside the car. I have checked all the other doors and they seem to be absolutely fine and dry . I have booked the car in at the dealers as it is still under warranty but just wanted to know if there was any common cause for this to happen.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Is this the felt surface on the rubber window surround that makes contact with the upper parts of the door aperture when the door is closed?

VW use the same type of rubber window surrounds On my VW this felt surface sometimes gets damp when I wash my car. It’s never bothered me, and when it does get damp, the dampness has never ‘crept’ beyond the felt section, to cause water to drip into the car.

Reactions: R45HU

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Yup @SRGTD you described it to a T! to be honest with you it would not have bothered me either the only reason it caught my attention was the fact that all the other doors are perfectly dry when this process of rain/wash happens so I automatically assumed that there must be an underlying issue. The car is straight though and the door sits flush along with all the seals and felt in tact

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Cheers @The Daily Meme i did have a browse before posting this thread but most information I could find was related to the actual rubber seals but i don’t think that is the issue in this instance

The Daily Meme

Insta: @thatredcupra
Jan 3, 2018
Cambridge
Cheers @The Daily Meme i did have a browse before posting this thread but most information I could find was related to the actual rubber seals but i don’t think that is the issue in this instance

Here we are:
The first one seems to have a much more extended discussion with lots of photos of possible issues/solutions.

The second looks like it could have been down to an incorectly fitted door.

R45HU

Jan 10, 2020
West Yorkshire
Here we are:
The first one seems to have a much more extended discussion with lots of photos of possible issues/solutions.

The second looks like it could have been down to an incorectly fitted door.
Fantastic seems like it is a common problem then it is booked at the dealers anyways so I will let them deal with it. Thanks for the advice and info chaps

matthab

Jun 16, 2010
West Midlands
Sorry to resurrect this thread. My Leon seems to be doing this and was wondering if you had any luck?

Water seems to be coming in from the lower top of the drivers door but it only does it while moving. Leave the car on the drive in the pouring rain and it's fine but after a while down the road it starts to drip. You can see water has made it passed the felt and then got stuck between the inner door seal. My last two Leons have never done this so I am a bit stumped whats going on.

Last edited:

slartibartfast

Jan 25, 2015
Worcestershire
Sorry to resurrect this thread. My Leon seems to be doing this and was wondering if you had any luck?

Water seems to be coming in from the lower top of the drivers door but it only does it while moving. Leave the car on the drive in the pouring rain and it's fine but after a while down the road it starts to drip. You can see water has mace it passed the felt and then got stuck between the inner door seal. My last two Leons have never done this so I am a bit stumped whats going on.
I had a problem with my 2016 leon that also dripped from the top door seal in the area above my knee when I got in and started driving in the rain. A new door seal fitted under warranty cured the problem completely.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.