Mk2 leon cupra buying advice

Apr 5, 2020
Wrexham, North Wales
Hi all new to the forum am looking at buying a leon cupra 2008 and thought this is the place to ask what I should look out for when buying? Any common faults to be aware of when I'm looking?

Also am trying to find out if they are torsion beam or independent rear suspension if anyone can help

Thanks

Last edited:

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Cambelt - when last replaced

Cam chain- listen for rattles

Diverter valve - when last replaced/ what revision

Cam follower - when last replaced

Oil pickup pipe - when last time checked

Sticking calipers

Poor radio reception - replace aerial base

Rust on front wings

Rear screen wash not working - pipe inside boot trim come apart

These cars are now getting old so the above list is only a collection of potential fault.

These are the main points I can think of

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Dave81

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Hi all new to the forum am looking at buying a leon cupra 2008 and thought this is the place to ask what I should look out for when buying? Any common faults to be aware of when I'm looking?

Also am trying to find out if they are torsion beam or independent rear suspension if anyone can help

Hi, aside from the same sort of things I'd check with any car I was buying. I'd specifically ask when the cambelt was last done. Advice varies, but I think my garage is saying every 4 years now, so that could be a £375 bill straight away. Ask when the cam follower was last inspected / replaced. Not expensive to replace but excessive wear causes a lot of damage. Difficult if you've never owned one before because they are very noisy engines. But any rattle on startup that continues while it's running could be a sign the chain / tensioner needs doing. Also inspect around the wheel arches closely for rust.

Reactions: Dave81 and Brimfull
Apr 5, 2020
Wrexham, North Wales
Thanks for the replies some good advice there that I wouldn't have realised

Anyone know if rear suspension is torsion beam or independent on them having?

Last edited:

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
Thanks for the replies some good advice there that I wouldn't have realised

Anyone now if rear suspension is torsion beam or independent on them having?

Independent on the MK2s. Torsion beam is on some MK3 models.

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham

Thanks
Another thing to check is that the thermostat is working correctly. Engine temp should rise to the 90 degrees on the dial and stay there.

If the needle drops below 90 when driving but sits at 90 during idle it will need replacing.

Cheap part to buy but the labour involves alternator off and sometimes the intake manifold removing in order to change the thermostat.

(Just had this done on mine)

gurpz94

Feb 12, 2019
Another one to look out for (albeit quite hard to notice) is misfires. If you have a VCDS scan tool you can check misfires. This can caused by something simple like spark plugs (£20 for a set), coil packs (£80 a set for good ones) up to injectors (mine set me back £800 a set!).

Also pop the bonnet and have a look at the insulation - if its soaked then you may want to replace it which will cost a bit. MK2 Leons have a common issue where it leaks so if you don't want a nasty saggy looking insulation you may need to replace it.

Other than that Brimfull and Legojon covered the other main bits.

Another thing to check is that the thermostat is working correctly. Engine temp should rise to the 90 degrees on the dial and stay there.

If the needle drops below 90 when driving but sits at 90 during idle it will need replacing.

Cheap part to buy but the labour involves alternator off and sometimes the intake manifold removing in order to change the thermostat.

(Just had this done on mine)

Sorry to go on a bit of a tangent, do you have the part # for the thermostat? I might try do this whilst we're stuck at home.

Reactions: Brimfull and Dave81

Brimfull

Nov 7, 2018
Wrexham
Another one to look out for (albeit quite hard to notice) is misfires. If you have a VCDS scan tool you can check misfires. This can caused by something simple like spark plugs (£20 for a set), coil packs (£80 a set for good ones) up to injectors (mine set me back £800 a set!).

Also pop the bonnet and have a look at the insulation - if its soaked then you may want to replace it which will cost a bit. MK2 Leons have a common issue where it leaks so if you don't want a nasty saggy looking insulation you may need to replace it.

Other than that Brimfull and Legojon covered the other main bits.

Sorry to go on a bit of a tangent, do you have the part # for the thermostat? I might try do this whilst we're stuck at home.
06f 121 111f is the part number. I got it from coverdale car parts. Genuine vag item for a tfsi bwa engine is what I got.

It's a real pain in the bum to fit and can take a good few hours to fit yourself

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise