Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Here she is, the striking new CUPRA Ateca. This is a mid-life facelift, but it feels like CUPRA have upped the stakes here both in design and performance.

The new CUPRA Ateca can now hit 0-60 in under 5 seconds at 4.9. The pre-facelift version took 5.2 seconds.

Design-wise we can see a much more aggressive front with the lower bumper featuring a similar design to the CUPRA Formentor.

Read on and we’ll get into the details….

2020 CUPRA Ateca

Engine and chassis

No surprises on the engine front. The new CUPRA Ateca comes with the tried and tested 2.0 litre TSI engine, producing 300PS and...

Continue reading...

Attachments

• CUPRA_Ateca_2020_front.jpg
    CUPRA_Ateca_2020_front.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 381
  • CUPRA_Ateca_2020_interior.jpg
    CUPRA_Ateca_2020_interior.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 409
  • CUPRA_Ateca_2020_rear.jpg
    CUPRA_Ateca_2020_rear.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 372
Last edited:
Reactions: Billyray911

Ian Sturgess

Dec 8, 2019
Berkshire
Not 100% sure about the new front, things I like but some are a bit strange. Like the new steering wheel with starter and Cupra buttons, like the seats if they are standard but those wheels are nasty.

Reactions: Syphon

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
Autocar magazine’s original published review of the 2018 model tested 0 to 60 in 4.9 seconds. Maybe it’s always been 4.9???

I've quoted CUPRA's Official figure from the original press release and the new one. Timings and power are sometimes underestimated. Maybe they decided to be more accurate with this one. I'd expect the exhaust is lighter though and the new gearbox might make a difference.

beddin90

Mar 31, 2014
I think overall it looks good! Shame about loosing the Cupra lettering across the lower grille, and i'm not sure about the wheels. Might look better in silver?
Are those exhausts standard fit or an option?

Reactions: Syphon

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I think overall it looks good! Shame about loosing the Cupra lettering across the lower grille, and i'm not sure about the wheels. Might look better in silver?
Are those exhausts standard fit or an option?

Yes I'd hoped the CUPRA lettering would be a thing on all CUPRA models going forward but sadly it was not to be. I think the exhausts are standard, as they are not mentioned as an option. I'm waiting for confirmation.

Reactions: beddin90

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I read somewhere the other day that with the PFL Cupra, they timed 4.7 on the 0-62 time. I also recall seeing a H2H against a golf R, where the difference was minimal. I imagine the new car is quicker by 0.2 or so, but I think the PFL is sub 5 seconds too!

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Interesting! certainly a nice option to have depending on price obviously
The exhaust is usually c£3k. On the Golf R, it was the one optional extra which pushed the car over £40k as a minimum, so it effectively cost even more than that. I can't imagine the list price of the new ateca will be sub 40k, but it's still a lot of money for an exhaust.

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
It will be interesting to see how the facelift is pitched,price wise.Now that VW have released details of the Tiguan R (which looks fantastic in Lapiz blue),it may steal a lot of the limelight from the C-A.
Does anyone have any ideas on whether the comfort,sound and design packs are still the same?

Reactions: 'Little' John

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
It will be interesting to see how the facelift is pitched,price wise.Now that VW have released details of the Tiguan R (which looks fantastic in Lapiz blue),it may steal a lot of the limelight from the C-A.
Does anyone have any ideas on whether the comfort,sound and design packs are still the same?

I think there is a good chance they will be. We'll have pricing and availability in the next few months I'd expect.

Reactions: Billyray911

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
I looked at a Tiguan before the Ateca. Even a 190 TSI was pushing 40k. I wanted a 230, but that was 40k+. I'd expect the Tiguan R to be considerably more than the Ateca. They also have the Touareg R, which must be £65k+, so there's a high in brand benchmark

Billyray911

Aug 12, 2018
I looked at a Tiguan before the Ateca. Even a 190 TSI was pushing 40k. I wanted a 230, but that was 40k+. I'd expect the Tiguan R to be considerably more than the Ateca. They also have the Touareg R, which must be £65k+, so there's a high in brand benchmark

I’ve always liked the Tiguan, but I agree that I can see the R being priced more towards Macan territory.Its hugely popular for VW, so the market will probably be there.
Pricing for the facelift C-A will be interesting too.Getting rid of the expensive seat option is a good idea,but I wonder if they will drop the design pack and integrate it somehow to keep it under the 40k mark?

Syphon

Site Owner
Staff member
Feb 28, 2002
South West
www.seatcupra.net
I’ve always liked the Tiguan, but I agree that I can see the R being priced more towards Macan territory.Its hugely popular for VW, so the market will probably be there.
Pricing for the facelift C-A will be interesting too.Getting rid of the expensive seat option is a good idea,but I wonder if they will drop the design pack and integrate it somehow to keep it under the 40k mark?

They've built the expensive seats into the cost

"Leather Bucket seats are now standard."

Mike the_cupra

May 29, 2020
Now I've seen the Tiguan R I have to admit I like it a lot. Now i'm hoping its pushing £50k with the Akro exhaust...

After april the PFL Ateca C&S (which I have) went over the £40k list price, due to the tax changes. I think the addition of the bucket seats is a way to justify all the new Ateca's costing £40k+.

I also hope that, and the new tax rules in general mean you see less base-spec cars on cheap lease deals. For a car like the C-A, it's strength is the exclusivity, and I don't want it falling into Golf R syndrome.

*Hopes nobody acknowledges my hypocrisy for having a '15 plate 'pov spec' Golf R before the CA*

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise