Cupra 290 Fuel type

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
just taken delivery of a new registration cupra 290 hatch, a question about the fuel type?
It says recommend fuel is 98Ron but 95 Ron minimum? Does anyone run there’s only on 95RON and does it damage of affect the running of the cupra??

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
Personally I wouldn't put 95 in mine, If I have to I put 97/98 in but normally 99ron for me (V-Power or Momentum).

I've got zero facts to back it up it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside lol I don't think 95 ron has any cleaning additives etc to help keep the engine in good nick.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Personally I wouldn't put 95 in mine, If I have to I put 97/98 in but normally 99ron for me (V-Power or Momentum).

I've got zero facts to back it up it just makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside lol I don't think 95 ron has any cleaning additives etc to help keep the engine in good nick.

Warm and fuzzy is very important.

The discussions about fuel additives/performance fuels can go on forever. Some say no difference, some say the additives help with fuel pump, injectors etc. It's not necessarily a performance thing but keeping everything running clean (or so the marketing people want us to believe).

Personally - my cars have always `preferred` a premium fuel. My old TDi Leon liked BP Ultimate and my newer one prefers V-Power.

I also have a fuel additive that goes in the odd tank of Tesco fuel (I swear it's the same stuff that goes in V-Power).

You've just bought a 290. Give it the fuel it deserves!

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Damo H

Remind me, what's an indicator?
Staff member
Oct 3, 2012
Car Length In Front
The guys in Republic of Ireland have no choice but to run 95, their premium fuels are still 95 just more additives.

The effect? On Dyno runs, stock car power output is lower than the factory figures. So the older 290 (none PPF/GPF) for example gets 265-270 not the 286hp its supposed to have.

So depends if you think you will miss the extra 15-20hp.

Adambomb100

Sep 9, 2020
Harwich, Essex
The guys in Republic of Ireland have no choice but to run 95, their premium fuels are still 95 just more additives.

The effect? On Dyno runs, stock car power output is lower than the factory figures. So the older 290 (none PPF/GPF) for example gets 265-270 not the 286hp its supposed to have.

So depends if you think you will miss the extra 15-20hp.
The only reason I ask is where I live there’s only one station that offers premium fuel so if I can’t get it there I only have the choice of 95RON, it says on the fuel flap 98RON/95RON in smaller font, I’m sure like you say may be a drop in performance, more worried about messing the engine up!!

Reactions: Simon_R

Jimbobcook

Staff member
Nov 24, 2012
The only reason I ask is where I live there’s only one station that offers premium fuel so if I can’t get it there I only have the choice of 95RON, it says on the fuel flap 98RON/95RON in smaller font, I’m sure like you say may be a drop in performance, more worried about messing the engine up!!
Same here and that's only 97ron but I drive 20 miles (round trip) out my way to get V-Power if i'm not going near anything soonish. Not sure if it's because of the fuel or because I want to drive the car haha probably a little of column A and column B...

Reactions: Adambomb100

Legojon

I only wanted a remap
Staff member
Jul 7, 2015
just taken delivery of a new registration cupra 290 hatch, a question about the fuel type?
It says recommend fuel is 98Ron but 95 Ron minimum? Does anyone run there’s only on 95RON and does it damage of affect the running of the cupra??

It'll run on 95 but likely pull timing (lose hp). It won't damage anything. But if I paid for 290bhp, I'd be annoyed if I wasn't getting that.

Reactions: Kirky

r3d

Nov 21, 2018
I feel no difference at all between 95 and 98. Sometimes it pops n bangs more on 98 and sometimes on 95. I think summer/winter fuel makes more difference than the octane number.

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
My pal has a 300 st he bought recently. ( second hand )
He was running 95 without knowing better.
Came over and was gutted it had started making a noise that he’d heard on another ST he test drove. ( a noise that put him off buying that particular car )
It was pinging and was easily heard.
I asked what fuel he used.
95 Ron
As I do track days I have octane booster in my garage.
Some was added and within 2 mins of running the noise had abated.
Do not use 95 Ron fuel.
Seat don’t recommend 98 it’s not a choice thing.
it’s stated that it needs it.
Apart from the drop in power.
( see YouTube 5th Gear, re fuel types where they run different fuels on the dyno in a 2014 VW GTI)
But it’s up to you.

Badger5 Custom Map + TIP,
3”Custom exhaust, FMIC, Bosh 550’s, BC Coilovers, ARB’s +loads more.

Last edited:

Deleted member 123864

My pal has a 300 st he bought recently. ( second hand )
He was running 95 without knowing better.
Came over and was gutted it had started making a noise that he’d heard on another ST he test drove. ( a noise that put him off buying that particular car )
It was pinging and was easily heard.
I asked what fuel he used.
95 Ron
As I do track days I have octane booster in my garage.
Some was added and within 2 mins of running the noise had abated.
Do not use 95 Ron fuel.
Seat don’t recommend 98 it’s not a choice thing.
it’s stated that the engine needs it.
Apart from the drop in power.
( see YouTube 5th Gear, re fuel types where they run different fuels on the synod in a 2014 VW GTI)
But it’s up to you.

Show me where Seat state that the engine requires it please?

Sparkie

Angling Adict.
Sep 25, 2009
Middlesex
I believe it states that you need 98 on filler door.
Think you’re trying to be a bit picky.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
I believe it states that you need 98 on filler door.
Think you’re trying to be a bit picky.

It says 95 minimum, 98 recommended. I always run 98 plus a few gallons of E85.

Robtt

Jan 14, 2020
North Yorkshire
Must admit mine runs well on Tesco 99ron fuel. We don’t have a Shell or BP retailer locally. So it’s either Sainsbury’s 97 ron or the Tesco 99ron.

Last edited:

Fester999

May 17, 2020
I run my 1.4 150 2017 fr on normal 95 stuff.
I've got a 1000cc Yamaha mt10 which I run on the better stuff, I always used v power but have switched to esso premium the bike runs better and does more mpg, although it's still cack!

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
All normal cars sold into EU have for years needed to comply or designed to run on 94/95RON petrol, so SEAT must have allowed these 290s to run on 94/95 without any chance of incurring any engine damage, though there will be a slight loss of top end power.
I'd always plan, when using one of these cars in town diving, just to fill up with 95RON and use 98RON in every 5th tank fill to keep things clean.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.