New to DSG - advice?

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
Even in Cupra mode my throttle has this dead spongy feel until you are quite far down, it just makes it really hard to modulate acceleration from standing. You have to just randomly judge it and see if it catapults you forward or not.

My MK2 FR had the same DQ250 DSG but didn't feel like this, but that had a different pedal and did'nt have all these other throttle settings.
That doesn't sound right. Have you driven someone else's to compare?

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Even in Cupra mode my throttle has this dead spongy feel until you are quite far down, it just makes it really hard to modulate acceleration from standing. You have to just randomly judge it and see if it catapults you forward or not.

My MK2 FR had the same DQ250 DSG but didn't feel like this, but that had a different pedal and did'nt have all these other throttle settings.

Know exactly what you mean, either a slow start or light the tyres up.. it is an odd feeling on the pedal

I believe this might be more down to how the throttle pedal works. I am sure some bods on here say there is two modes direct and progressive. the default is progressive which i guess is a bit more designed for everyday driving comfort.

I would think in direct it might be a lot easier to judge how much power you are putting down. unfortunately i think you need a carista type device to switch it, perhaps someone on here has done it and can explain the difference. I intend to but not until warranty has run out

Reactions: Tonezz

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
That doesn't sound right. Have you driven someone else's to compare?

It is normal, theres alot of threads about people with Golf R's with the same problem, I guess some people don't realise it if they didn't come from a similar car.

I think its just to force you to set off smoothly and gradually instead of gunning it from a standing start, but it just makes it feel sluggish and half the pedal does nothing. I guess its something to do with how they managed to give it such high MPG figures as well.

Apparently a DTUK/Racechip pedal box helps alot but they are about £200.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Know exactly what you mean, either a slow start or light the tyres up.. it is an odd feeling on the pedal

I believe this might be more down to how the throttle pedal works. I am sure some bods on here say there is two modes direct and progressive. the default is progressive which i guess is a bit more designed for everyday driving comfort.

I would think in direct it might be a lot easier to judge how much power you are putting down. unfortunately i think you need a carista type device to switch it, perhaps someone on here has done it and can explain the difference. I intend to but not until warranty has run out

Yea if you give it a little too much as well you just look like an idiot hopping on the spot with the FWD!

I guess thats the upside to the Golf R, it'll rip off the line with the Haldex even if you slam the throttle.

Kirky

Copper Cupra Advocate
Apr 10, 2019
It is normal, theres alot of threads about people with Golf R's with the same problem, I guess some people don't realise it if they didn't come from a similar car.

I think its just to force you to set off smoothly and gradually instead of gunning it from a standing start, but it just makes it feel sluggish and half the pedal does nothing. I guess its something to do with how they managed to give it such high MPG figures as well.

Apparently a DTUK/Racechip pedal box helps alot but they are about £200.
Redundant travel would annoy me. I can't use Eco because of the awful throttle response delay. If 25-50% of the travel wasn't doing anything I'd want a fix as it would drive me crazy!!
It would have the opposite effect of setting off smoothly as you've taken away 25-50% of the travel which could have been used to modulate the throttle with more control. You'd be packing the same range of throttle 0-100% into a smaller range and therefore losing resolution.

Reactions: Tonezz

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Redundant travel would annoy me. I can't use Eco because of the awful throttle response delay. If 25-50% of the travel wasn't doing anything I'd want a fix as it would drive me crazy!!
It would have the opposite effect of setting off smoothly as you've taken away 25-50% of the travel which could have been used to modulate the throttle with more control. You'd be packing the same range of throttle 0-100% into a smaller range and therefore losing resolution.

Yup thats exactly the problem, if you want to just potter off really slowly basically like off throttle, its fine. But if you want to like launch off the line a bit, its complete guess work with your foot. It makes it feel like you're not in control of the car until you pick up some speed.. But by then you're probably already at a speed you need to slow back down. :happy:

Reactions: TomsLeon

Kothaex

Sep 24, 2018
Lurching when parking can be calmed slightly by turning off stop/ start and others have temporarily switched off auto hold to aid.

Think this is the post I was looking for.. I've just taken delivery of my Cupra 300! Taken it for a quick drive - it was awesome - and noted mostly that parking... is tough.
I shall try turning off autohold and start stop and see how I get on.

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Think this is the post I was looking for.. I've just taken delivery of my Cupra 300! Taken it for a quick drive - it was awesome - and noted mostly that parking... is tough.
I shall try turning off autohold and start stop and see how I get on.

I've never had a problem with parking DSG.

if you find you need to inch forward a bit but can't get it to creep just go the other direction again and roll it in.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Auto Hold does not use the handbrake. It applies all 4 brakes via the ABS system. Very useful for during a 3 point turn on my friend's very, very steep drive.

Reactions: queen

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
Auto Hold does not use the handbrake. It applies all 4 brakes via the ABS system. Very useful for during a 3 point turn on my friend's very, very steep drive.

That's hill hold or hill start assist - you can have that on cars with a manual handbrake lever.

Autohold is only available with the electronic handbrake as it uses the handbrake motors to hold instead of the hydraulic system.

Zer0

Jun 22, 2019
Another thing, the newer DSG 7 is a lot faster when up to speed than the DSG 6 due to gearing. It's about 1.5 seconds faster in a 100-200 km/h run. If that matters. :p

Edit: I should mention the time difference is for a Golf R, pre FL DSG 6 vs FL DSG 7 so times not completely accurate for a Cupra.

Last edited:

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
I've never had a problem with parking DSG.

if you find you need to inch forward a bit but can't get it to creep just go the other direction again and roll it in.

Was about to say that too...but I had the old school handbrakes in my two DSG Seats. I just let go of the brakes and the DSG would move the car without any throttle inputs..reverse and forwards...and in don't recall it being too difficult or parallel park and engine never cut out, until I put it into P...but maybe I didn't have the e-brake..

Tonezz

Jan 12, 2011
Preston
Was about to say that too...but I had the old school handbrakes in my two DSG Seats. I just let go of the brakes and the DSG would move the car without any throttle inputs..reverse and forwards...and in don't recall it being too difficult or parallel park and engine never cut out, until I put it into P...but maybe I didn't have the e-brake..

Yea mine has a normal handbrake still, it does usually creep but occasionally it doesn't.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
That's hill hold or hill start assist - you can have that on cars with a manual handbrake lever.

Autohold is only available with the electronic handbrake as it uses the handbrake motors to hold instead of the hydraulic system.
My 2018 1.4TSi FR DSG has Electronic H/B & AutoHold. The manual states that AH uses the ABS pump to operate all 4 brakes.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
From Seat web-site:
The Auto Hold function is an extension of the electric parking brake and offers you more convenience and extra safety. Operated via the ABS/ESC hydraulic unit, it stops your car from rolling away accidentally when standing still or setting off. When you brake your car to a standstill position, Auto Hold retains the last-applied braking pressure. You can take your foot off the brake, and all four-wheel brakes will stay on. If the ABS wheel speed sensors detect any rolling, braking force is automatically increased until the car comes to a standstill again. As soon as you press the accelerator and, in the case of manual gearboxes, release the clutch, Auto Hold reduces the braking pressure.

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
From Seat web-site:
The Auto Hold function is an extension of the electric parking brake and offers you more convenience and extra safety. Operated via the ABS/ESC hydraulic unit, it stops your car from rolling away accidentally when standing still or setting off. When you brake your car to a standstill position, Auto Hold retains the last-applied braking pressure. You can take your foot off the brake, and all four-wheel brakes will stay on. If the ABS wheel speed sensors detect any rolling, braking force is automatically increased until the car comes to a standstill again. As soon as you press the accelerator and, in the case of manual gearboxes, release the clutch, Auto Hold reduces the braking pressure.

Yes, sorry, I stand corrected, I'm confusing myself now ha! It's auto-handbrake that I was thinking of, but it seems the Leon's don't have that despite being EPB? So you have to physically pull the EPB button when you stop and switch the engine off, it doesn't automatically apply the handbrake in that scenario?

UnworthyBean

Dec 6, 2019
Yes, sorry, I stand corrected, I'm confusing myself now ha! It's auto-handbrake that I was thinking of, but it seems the Leon's don't have that despite being EPB? So you have to physically pull the EPB button when you stop and switch the engine off, it doesn't automatically apply the handbrake in that scenario?
In my FL DSG it will automatically apply the handbrake when I turn it off in park. Think I've only ever manually pressed the button when I want to ease it out of a tight space slowly otherwise I'll just let it do its thing.

To add to the original topic, it has been touched upon but thought I'd add, the box is not magic. If you're slowing down for a junction the box will assume you're going for a lower gear and get it ready so that when you see a gap and floor it, it will usually take a moment to get a higher gear ready.

Glosphil

Nov 10, 2004
Gloucestershire
Since buying my 2018 Leon FR DSG 16 months ago I have never touched the Autohold or EHB buttons - both have always been selected as on. I do cancel Stop/Start as soon as I start the car. .
I have never had problems parking, delay on entering roundabouts, reversing up hill, etc. as reported by other owners. Nor did I in my previous Octavia vRS DSG.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.