Best Tyres for Front Grip

Oct 11, 2020
Hampshire, UK
I've had my 2017 Cupra 300 DSG since November last year. It's got Bridgestone 235/35 r19 tyres on the front. Although the front end grip round corners is awesome I find that they let go too easily from a standing start so that the traction control kicks in. Apart from that making it feel like it's got square wheels it also kills the acceleration. I realise that putting 300 bhp through the front tyres is always going to be a challenge but does anyone have advice on the best tyres available in the UK to reduce this problem?
Thanks, Steve.

Polly

Jan 16, 2019
MICHELIN Pilot Sport 4S's
Personally I would now like to find some errr 'Quieter ones'. Getting a lot of rod noise.
However just read that a new Porker on these has very intrusive tye/road noise.

Reactions: Steve300

280jl

Nov 20, 2015
Bromley
Agree with the michelin pilot sport 4's

Another option is the pilot super sports, but they can be a bit more tricky in the cold/wet, but hold so well in the warm and dry

Goodyear Eagle F1's are a cheaper option and better than the pirelli or Bridgestone tyres in my opinion on the cupra - also noticeably quieter for me

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Agree with the michelin pilot sport 4's

Another option is the pilot super sports, but they can be a bit more tricky in the cold/wet, but hold so well in the warm and dry

Goodyear Eagle F1's are a cheaper option and better than the pirelli or Bridgestone tyres in my opinion on the cupra - also noticeably quieter for me
The pilot sport 4S is actually the pilot supersport replacement, where as the pilot sport 4 is the pilot sport 3 replacement, agree with the goodyear F1 supersport, its a very good tyre!

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
Pilot Sport 4S is a more track orientated version of the Pilot Sport 4. I just fitted Pilot Sport 4 to the front of my car and they're a bit noisier than the Goodyear Efficientgrips I had on before but the grip is amazing and they're supposed to be very long lasting.

May 20, 2021
Hi all, picked up my 18 plate 300 dsg 4drive estate 2 weeks ago, bought it from a seat garage in Devon and drove it home to Essex. been cleaning beach sand out of it for two weeks and a lot of cleaning and polishing. Fronts and rears need replacing was going to buy all ps4s but was also considering yokohama flava 107s mainly because the ps4s are 72 db and the yoko`s are 68 db other stats are the same, i only do 2-3k miles a year and the huge boot is normally empty, i have noticed the contisports currently fitted are noisey and badly cracked all over and the empty boot makes it worse. any thoughts welcome.

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
@gunnergonk; I’d personally go for the PS4’s. Bear in mind that official tyre noise ratings relates to tyre noise levels outside the car rather than interior noise, so inside the car there might not be an appreciable difference in tyre noise between the Yokohamas and the Michelins and could always add some additional sound deadening to the boot floor.

PS4’s perform consistently very well in tyre tests against other brands, and I’d be prepared to sacrifice a little extra tyre noise for a better performing tyre - especially on a 300ps 4WD performance car.

2021 Tyre Reviews Ultra High Performance (UHP) Summer Tyre Test - placed 1st out of 14 tyres
  • Positive - Excellent rounded tyre with almost no weakness, excellent grip in the dry and wet, short braking distances and safe balance.
  • Negative - Not the most sporty feeling of the UHP tyres.
  • Overall - The Michelin Pilot Sport 4 is a tyre with almost no weaknesses, it has excellent grip in all conditions, good aquaplaning resistance, and a low noise. The only negative is that it's not the most responsive of tyres during the dry handling test.
2021 Auto Zeitung Summer UHP Tyre Test - placed 4th out of 10 tyres
2020 Tyre Maeket Overall Braking Test - placed 1st out of 49 tyres

2019 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test - placed 14th out of 20 tyres
  • Positive - Short dry braking, low noise, low fuel use.
  • Negative - Average grip and handling in the wet, high wear.
  • Overall - Conditionally recommended.
2019 Summer 53 Tyre Braking Shootout - placed 16th out of 45 tyres
2018 Auto Review 225/45 R17 Tyre Test - placed 9th out of 11 tyres

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
If you decide to go down the michelin route go for the 4S over the 4, yes they are slightly more expensive but you make that back in the wear rate
Screenshot_20210605_132623_com.android.chrome.jpg

May 20, 2021
Thankyou guys for the info, I'm a bit of a bargain hunter so spent a few hours trying to get the best price. think I have bagged a bargain,
4x Michelin pilot sport 4s fully fitted on my driveway for £531.87 including vat. 2hr time slot, weds 9th. not sure if I'm allowed to say who by
but very big retailer. If asked I will tell in case it helps anyone.

thanks again for the help guys.

motty225

Polestar 2
Sep 11, 2008
Ashby De-La Zouch
Thankyou guys for the info, I'm a bit of a bargain hunter so spent a few hours trying to get the best price. think I have bagged a bargain,
4x Michelin pilot sport 4s fully fitted on my driveway for £531.87 including vat. 2hr time slot, weds 9th. not sure if I'm allowed to say who by
but very big retailer. If asked I will tell in case it helps anyone.

thanks again for the help guys.
Seems a good price to me, over £100 cheaper than the black circles price

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.