Insurance Increase Again!

Dannnnn

Dec 9, 2018
Hampshire
I'm over fifty and insurance for anything is £300-odd quid.

It can be hard to know why quotes are high. My son lives in Glasgow and there was a year or so when a local knob was scratching everyone's cars. That one guy put everyone's insurance up but I'm sure there would be people in that scheme who had no idea why their insurance went up.

I'm 30 and mine is around £350

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I need to figure out if claiming to be retired or a house person is the better way forward, still under pension (just) age but no intention of working again so didn’t unemployed was a good idea, but who knows?

TomsLeon

Sep 26, 2020
I'm still 'mid 20s' (until my 30th birthday lol) but mines about £300 on my worthless 2.0 TDI Golf. Will only cost £20 to change to a £16k 2019 2.0 TSI Leon! Cupra would be another £30 on top again. Don't understand how you can still be paying over a grand at 30!

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
My renewal from AXA is now touching £500 with the current cover.

I did a fresh quote with them out of curiousity taking off commuting and lowering the milage as the car is hardly being used and that was even more expensive.

I don't get how they work things out!

I'm going to give them a call on Monday and see if they'll do anything over the phone as they've been quite helpful in the past.
I called AXA earlier and managed to get the price back to where it was before renewal. I dropped the milage down from 12k to 10k.

Ive only done around 6k over the past 12 months and can't see me doing much more in the next 12 months at this rate!

They kept commuting on the policy but noted that the car is mostly at home.

So back to £395 with the better half as named driver and 7 years NCD.

I also remembered that a car just down the street was broken into about 6 weeks ago. I'm not sure if that would've had an impact on the renewal price.

All good now, definitely recommend calling the insurers as they seem to have a little discretion.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
I'm still 'mid 20s' (until my 30th birthday lol) but mines about £300 on my worthless 2.0 TDI Golf. Will only cost £20 to change to a £16k 2019 2.0 TSI Leon! Cupra would be another £30 on top again. Don't understand how you can still be paying over a grand at 30!
Insurers use multiple risk factors these days when the calculate premiums. There’ll be many risk factors in addition the ones we usually associate with car insurance - the usuals being policyholder age, garaging postcode, car make / model and claims history / number of years no claims discount (NCD) entitlement. So for a group of people of a same age, driving the same make /model of car, living in the same area and the having the same NCD entitlement, premiums can vary considerably, as other factors will influence the premium, such as;

• marital status
  • policyholder’s occupation
  • use of the vehicle
  • where the vehicle is garaged
  • named drivers on the policy and their driving experience / claims history
  • age of the named drivers
  • motoring convictions
  • voluntary excess level selected
  • any ‘add-ons’ included in the premium - e.g. breakdown cover, legal expenses cover
  • some insurers carry out credit checks when you get a quote, so there‘s a chance they could use some of the information associated with the results of that credit check when they calculate the risk premium.
  • the underwriting strategy of different insurers will differ, influencing the risks they want to attract. If one insurer doesn’t want to write hot hatches, they’ll deliberately quote high premiums for them to discourage that segment of business.
There‘ll no doubt be other factors too.

So taking the above into account, two similarly aged individuals driving the same type of car could have very different premiums.

As has been said by others, never let your policy auto-renew; always shop around but bear in mind the cheapest insurer isn’t necessarily the one to go for. It’s always worth doing some research on an insurer’s claims service as a low premium might mean an insurer cuts corners on repairs and / or provides poor service.

Reactions: TomsLeon

Oliver Pawley

Mar 9, 2019
2.5k for my 280 cupra - 21, 2 years ncb, driving for 2 years, prices were all over the place when I was looking originally, just seems like pot luck to me.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Peller

Mar 29, 2016
Edinburgh
I've just renewed the insurance and now I have another cost!

The 2nd year service is due, even though the last one was done only only 7k ago

(2nd year service is £239 via SEAT website and includes 12 months breakdown cover)

I need to do it as the 2 year roadside assistance is due to expire so booked in for the official service to claim another years cover (not to mention being an VWFS lease)

I'm hoping the newish PS4s (5mm) hold up until summer before putting the stock conti's with 4mm tread left before handing it back!

Last edited:

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
Recently-last week- I renewed the Leon insurance, since then I’ve had 3 companies call re accidents, one I told they were mistaken-no accident, and I didn’t hold insurance- true it’s in the wife’s name, the second I agreed about an accident and gave lots of details until it got to injuries and I claimed it was fatal, I had in fact been killed in the accident, cue one unhappy, and rude caller, the third I asked to hold and they’d gone after 15 minutes.
Just how much do insurance companies get for renewal contacts, do they get paid simply for phone numbers or was I simply unlucky getting a spate of junk calls, as far as I know insurance does not hold my mobile number.

BillyCool

Jan 16, 2020
Leicestershire, UK
Recently-last week- I renewed the Leon insurance, since then I’ve had 3 companies call re accidents, one I told they were mistaken-no accident, and I didn’t hold insurance- true it’s in the wife’s name, the second I agreed about an accident and gave lots of details until it got to injuries and I claimed it was fatal, I had in fact been killed in the accident, cue one unhappy, and rude caller, the third I asked to hold and they’d gone after 15 minutes.
Just how much do insurance companies get for renewal contacts, do they get paid simply for phone numbers or was I simply unlucky getting a spate of junk calls, as far as I know insurance does not hold my mobile number.

I have seen a direct link between me buying something online and/or filling out a form that needed my phone number and then getting a couple of random calls to my mobile within 48 hours.

Either these sites share/sell the data of their security is poor. Either way, it really grinds my gears.

Cuprabenwytm

Jun 17, 2020
Thats brilliant haha

Sent from my MRD-LX1 using Tapatalk

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
just renewed mine.. £540 with Axa. Unfortunately my postcode doesn't help.

My last company Privilege have just tried to charge me extra for fitting a GPS tracker! "its a modification". yes you gimboids but make the car more recoverable if stolen ultimately costing you less.. Nope they didn't get that

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
You mean the ones that start 'hello, our records show that you were in an accident that wasn't your fault. I always love these calls to 'play with them,' I even claimed that I disloated my lung in one of them. On a separate note, my other half often receive similar calls from scam callers from what I suspect is call centers abroad. They stopped calling since I started singing hindi songs the minute I answered, and they haven't called back since!

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I have seen a direct link between me buying something online and/or filling out a form that needed my phone number and then getting a couple of random calls to my mobile within 48 hours.

Either these sites share/sell the data of their security is poor. Either way, it really grinds my gears.
I renewed the policy in a phone call so I could negotiate a discount, and I asked that no information be passed to ‘ambulance chasers’, telesales trustworthy?

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
A friend of mine has an African grey Parrot.
If he gets any sales calls of any kind he puts the parrot on the phone and let’s them have the conversation with that.
That gets rid of them sharpish. ?
Brilliant :p My stock answer is "which accident? - I've had hundreds" They tend to hang up after that.

DigitalSushi

Sep 7, 2020
Brilliant :p My stock answer is "which accident? - I've had hundreds" They tend to hang up after that.

Another great game to play is the memory loss one. I taught this to my pensioner dad and it keeps him amused as for some reason he gets these calls all the time even though he has never had an accident in his life

"our records show that you have had an accident... blah blah"

"oh yes I had a big one, took a massive knock to the head. affected my memory" - pad this bit out as much as possible to waste time

"We can help you get compensation for the accident"

"What accident?"

"The one in our records"

"oh yes I had a big one, took a massive knock to the head. affected my memory"

rinse repeat for as many loops as you can.

My best was 4 loops before they hung up..

seatgraham

Feb 14, 2012
Another great game to play is the memory loss one. I taught this to my pensioner dad and it keeps him amused as for some reason he gets these calls all the time even though he has never had an accident in his life

"our records show that you have had an accident... blah blah"

"oh yes I had a big one, took a massive knock to the head. affected my memory" - pad this bit out as much as possible to waste time

"We can help you get compensation for the accident"

"What accident?"

"The one in our records"

"oh yes I had a big one, took a massive knock to the head. affected my memory"

rinse repeat for as many loops as you can.

My best was 4 loops before they hung up..
One of my colleagues had a call from one of those companies - she said she hadn't been in an accident.
The advisor said 'accidents can be quite traumatic, you might have forgotten!'.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members