Votes: 21 5.4%
  • CUPRA Formentor VZ5

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • CUPRA Formentor VZN

Votes: 7 1.8%

• Total voters

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
No settings for the exhaust. And yes, in cupra mode the pops and bangs are really noticeable.
I've seen some modules being sold to allow control over the exhaust bypass, but hard to tell if they would work in the Formentor.

Soundaktor is only enabled in Cupra mode IIRC, but I can double check since I didn't spent much time in sport mode
So when you use custom mode and turn off soundaktor, do you get pops and bangs? Perhaps it's connected with the engine mode.

Reactions: jcbmally

Maypack

Ambassador for Cumberland Sausage
Apr 20, 2014
Gods Country - West Cumbria
So when you use custom mode and turn off soundaktor, do you get pops and bangs? Perhaps it's connected with the engine mode.

Soundaktor just gives fake engine noise in the cockpit. It makes it sound meaner but false so i immediately turned it off in my Leon Cupra so i could hear the real engine sound.

In my Leon Cupra there are plenty of pops and bangs in all driving modes so id expect the Formentor to be the same when its warmed up and run in.

The Soundaktor is just a bad idea imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
Soundaktor just gives fake engine noise in the cockpit. It makes it sound meaner but false so i immediately turned it off in my Leon Cupra so i could hear the real engine sound.

In my Leon Cupra there are plenty of pops and bangs in all driving modes so id expect the Formentor to be the same when its warmed up and run in.

The Soundaktor is just a bad idea imo.

No, it is different.

Formentor has a valve in the exhaust. In Comfort mode, the exhaust flap/valve is closed and (my guess) engine mapping doesn't produce pops and bangs. When you switch the mode to sport or cupra, you can hear an flap/valve open if you are outside the car, you can see that "smoke" comes out of all 4 exhausts now and in this mode you hear the pops and bangs. In some situations, car does not open the valves until it is warm.

You can drive all day long in Comfort mode without pops and bangs.

This existence of a valve/flap is not well known, most reviewers of the car did not know about it, but it is definitely there. I remember there is a video where a guy is in a cold garage and he shows how when in comfort, the smoke is coming out of only 2 exhausts and when you switch over to sport/cupra all 4 exhaust pipes are "smoking" (I know it is water vapour).

The soundaktor only helps with the sound inside the car. To be fair, the car does not sound very good from the inside. I completely understand why they did it, even though I don't like the concept.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021

There was a better video, where the vapour is more clear, but even here you can hear the difference in sound and if you turn up the volume, you can hear the "flap" opening between comfort and sport modes. Sound test starts after about a minute.

Found it, better video (4 minute 45 second mark)

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
No, it is different.

Formentor has a valve in the exhaust. In Comfort mode, the exhaust flap/valve is closed and (my guess) engine mapping doesn't produce pops and bangs. When you switch the mode to sport or cupra, you can hear an flap/valve open if you are outside the car, you can see that "smoke" comes out of all 4 exhausts now and in this mode you hear the pops and bangs. In some situations, car does not open the valves until it is warm.

You can drive all day long in Comfort mode without pops and bangs.

This existence of a valve/flap is not well known, most reviewers of the car did not know about it, but it is definitely there. I remember there is a video where a guy is in a cold garage and he shows how when in comfort, the smoke is coming out of only 2 exhausts and when you switch over to sport/cupra all 4 exhaust pipes are "smoking" (I know it is water vapour).

The soundaktor only helps with the sound inside the car. To be fair, the car does not sound very good from the inside. I completely understand why they did it, even though I don't like the concept.

I agree with what you say about the valves as i was aware of them prior to making my decision to order.

The valves and their operation i am happy with as mine will probably be open a lot.

As for the soundaktor, it will be off do i can hear the real engine sound.

Pops and Bangs are a bonus.

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
Just back from a quick drive.

If the engine sound option is on Comfort, soundaktor is turned off, but it also seems that either the exhaust valve is closed, or something in the map doesn't produce any pops and bangs.

As soon as you change it to sport or cupra options, soundaktor is turned on, and on rev decrease you can hear the pops and bangs.

That's a bummer. Would also like to have one wihtout the other.

Agnes.Surrey

Nov 6, 2020
Surrey
Configure Individual settings and switch off fake engine sound there and setup other options the way you like. You will also find different advice how to switch it off physically or remove the part. Saw it online somewhere.

ruivo

Jan 28, 2021
Configure Individual settings and switch off fake engine sound there and setup other options the way you like. You will also find different advice how to switch it off physically or remove the part. Saw it online somewhere.

Yeah, that's what I did in the individual driving profile.
Whenever engine sound option is in comfort, pops and bangs are also not present.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
My Cupra Formentor VZ2 has just arrived at the Dealers and i can confirm it does have the Virtual Pedal.

Off to see it tomorrow and get the dealer to run my Dashcam cable in from the front to rear dashcam.

Should be able to get some pictures taken while there too.

Reactions: jcbmally and ruivo

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Congrats. How much are they charging for the dash cam install?

Nothing. They are only running the cable from front to back for me so i dont need to remove panels from the boot or the rubber cable holder between the car and boot lid.

Ill be doing the rest once i get the car on the 01st March.

Maypack

Apr 20, 2014
Just seen my car in the flesh.

35df925ad9000dd7fdeefb9037579fbf.jpg

I can confirm that the VZ2 does come with the Virtual Pedal snd Electric Boot

76d70a6c64a2f8dc4517fb162f105cc8.jpg

Interior in Black Leather looks good and that infotainment screen us massive

41941dfc21b8bd402b145792455ef49c.jpg

c0dca43109c5e053d647b8845d0c2d87.jpg

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
In individual mode set engine to Cupra, sound to Comfort and everything else to whatever you want. You will get burbles and pops without to much fake noise in the cabin. When you start the car up you will hear the car tone change when it opens/closes the exhaust valves, they will be open/closed depending what engine mode you select.
The soundaktor doesn’t sound that bad when it set in sport IMO, I don’t mind it at all as it is better than the standard 4 pot engine sound.
So mine is set as follows:
Engine - Cupra
DCC - Softest on the slider.
4Drive - Comfort
ACC - Comfort
Steering - Sport
Sound - Sport.
When I want all out nuts mode I press and hold the Cupra button, if you press and hold it again it will return to the previous mode you had it in.
I did a launch the other day and @Maypack was listening, I’m sure he will pass comment :thumbup:

Reactions: Maypack and Peyton

Ricknffc

Feb 20, 2021
Hi guys, new to the forum,

I ordered my VZ2 towards end of January and was told a car in my spec had been allocated from the factory. The paperwork shows a delivery date of 8th March and will have the new 21 reg plate. Asked for an update on Friday was told it was still ' in transport' and an update will be given to me early next week. I'm counting down the days. Seen as though not been able to get in showrooms etc I've been researching reviews and YouTube videos for months even in all different languages just trying to get a real feel for the car. I like doing my research anyways, was a bit different negotiating via emails Nd over the phone but hey ho I got it over the line.

Peyton

Jan 20, 2021
In individual mode set engine to Cupra, sound to Comfort and everything else to whatever you want. You will get burbles and pops without to much fake noise in the cabin. When you start the car up you will hear the car tone change when it opens/closes the exhaust valves, they will be open/closed depending what engine mode you select.
The soundaktor doesn’t sound that bad when it set in sport IMO, I don’t mind it at all as it is better than the standard 4 pot engine sound.
So mine is set as follows:
Engine - Cupra
DCC - Softest on the slider.
4Drive - Comfort
ACC - Comfort
Steering - Sport
Sound - Sport.
When I want all out nuts mode I press and hold the Cupra button, if you press and hold it again it will return to the previous mode you had it in.
I did a launch the other day and @Maypack was listening, I’m sure he will pass comment :thumbup:
Great advice.

Might be good to pull it into a separate thread. Are mods interested in doing so?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.