Media Issues (or user error)

• Thread starter Deleted member 129529
  • Start date

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Probably need to try one album on a USB. Reckon a jpeg in the folder would take precedence over anything EACs would copy across integrated. Feels like an experiment. Art work is also suppose to be found on mib2 highs via Gracenotes but I've never really been aware of it doing that. May be the online aspect of mib3 might try something like that ?.
Will have a play and come back with any findings

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Probably need to try one album on a USB. Reckon a jpeg in the folder would take precedence over anything EACs would copy across integrated. Feels like an experiment. Art work is also suppose to be found on mib2 highs via Gracenotes but I've never really been aware of it doing that. May be the online aspect of mib3 might try something lik

Probably need to try one album on a USB. Reckon a jpeg in the folder would take precedence over anything EACs would copy across integrated. Feels like an experiment. Art work is also suppose to be found on mib2 highs via Gracenotes but I've never really been aware of it doing that. May be the online aspect of mib3 might try something like that ?.
Tried new usb c. and only 3 out of 35 albums show art. Still trying to see what the difference is. Tried embedding
jpg using Windows Media but no difference. Noted one album was a download from Amazon and had no Cover jpg.
Other two Flac files had cover.jg. Obviously missing some hidden folder difference.

Tell

Staff member
Tried new usb c. and only 3 out of 35 albums show art. Still trying to see what the difference is. Tried embedding
jpg using Windows Media but no difference. Noted one album was a download from Amazon and had no Cover jpg.
Other two Flac files had cover.jg. Obviously missing some hidden folder difference.
I don't think they would need embedding, the embedded ones greater than 500x500 may be the problem. Most of the media player server software expects no more than 500x500 so if they have used those libraries (could be an old standard which is why embedded art it bigger). Why I put the cover art in a cover.jpg file limited to no more than 500x500, that's the mib2 standard and historic media server software. Noticed commercial CD's can have bigger embedded art files which would not get thru if the standard dimensions are applied.

Feels like more experimentation. May be EACs without the integrated art but the cover.jpg file no more than 500x500. If that works, try the integrated cover art with and without the cover.jpg file limited to no more than 500x500.

The issue of cover art on the mib3 hasn't really come up before probably due to a fair few people playing streaming services with the new system rather than albums. Lot to be said for playing albums in the car 🤔. (cover art is nice to see)

Last edited:

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
I don't think they would need embedding, the embedded ones greater than 500x500 may be the problem. Most of the media player server software expects no more than 500x500 so if they have used those libraries (could be an old standard which is why embedded art it bigger). Why I put the cover art in a cover.jpg file limited to no more than 500x500, that's the mib2 standard and historic media server software. Noticed commercial CD's can have bigger embedded art files which would not get thru if the standard dimensions are applied.

Feels like more experimentation. May be EACs without the integrated art but the cover.jpg file no more than 500x500. If that works, try the integrated cover art with and without the cover.jpg file limited to no more than 500x500.

The issue of cover art on the mib3 hasn't really come up before probably due to a fair few people playing streaming services with the new system rather than albums. Lot to be said for playing albums in the car 🤔. (cover art is nice to see)
Will try a few different things. Noticed that the Jon Cleary album downloaded from Amazon is mp3 and has no folder/cover jpg but appears to have art for each track. The Flac copy of Fleetwoodmac Rumours has a pdf file with the art. Looking at a metadata editor.
Does bring that recurring question to mind as to why it worked on older mib and new mib is not able to handle this. Not exactly Vorsprung Durch Technik. !!

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Will try a few different things. Noticed that the Jon Cleary album downloaded from Amazon is mp3 and has no folder/cover jpg but appears to have art for each track. The Flac copy of Fleetwoodmac Rumours has a pdf file with the art. Looking at a metadata editor.
Does bring that recurring question to mind as to why it worked on older mib and new mib is not able to handle this. Not exactly Vorsprung Durch Technik. !!
Can recommend MP3Tag as a free tag editor, you can even re-size album art in bulk

Tell

Staff member
Hmmm came across that on my laptop conversion at the minute. Looked at that in the distant past. I'll have to copy it over to my new HP Spectre that looks like a Cupra in copper 🤣. No fancy brakes on it.

Right mib3 does have Gracenotes in it which may explain where some of the album art may be coming from. It was in the mib2 high. Preloaded art that's indexed. Mib2 standard didn't have Gracenotes but everybody can now enjoy with mib3 🤗.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/au...9-220/bang-olufsen-specs-mib3-2021-a-3008792/

Gracenotes:

Problem with Gracenotes is how up to date it is. EACs is user supported and the home system doesn't have access to Gracenote so digitizing home stuff Gracenotes isn't of help to cover car and home if your media server doesn't support it. EACs you type missing stuff into it from the back of the CD cover - old school, submit to the community and do your own artwork 500x500 but if the mib3 unit isn't seeing cover.jpg or doing strange things. Those BBC concerts I do that way. Every directory gets a cover.jpg file no bigger than 500x500 all other artwork I dump in a directory called Artwork. My own production method for digital music for the home or car mib2 / mib2 high.

So some artwork may well be pre installed in the system or dragged down over the air from Gracenotes reading the Id. Hopefully album art presented in a folder takes precedence over anything integrated into the file or indexed using Gracenotes.

I was never too sure when the Gracenotes stuff got updated on a mib2 high. Probably at the time of any firmware updates to the unit, not navigation. I circumvented it in any case. Doesn't feel timely if in mib2 it's fixed to the firmware. Mib3 ?. You would sort of expect it gets updated over the air like the maps.

Keep experimenting. Reckon you need to create an mp3 or Flac from a broadcast with no ID information and see whether it will read a companion Cover.jpg file or folder.jpg sized 500x500. Keep the test simple, stripping away the variables. I'd like to know whether it reads companion art folder file or whether that's been abandoned.

Last edited:

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Hmmm came across that on my laptop conversion at the minute. Looked at that in the distant past. I'll have to copy it over to my new HP Spectre that looks like a Cupra in copper 🤣. No fancy brakes on it.

Right mib3 does have Gracenotes in it which may explain where some of the album art may be coming from. It was in the mib2 high. Preloaded art that's indexed. Mib2 standard didn't have Gracenotes but everybody can now enjoy with mib3 🤗.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/au...9-220/bang-olufsen-specs-mib3-2021-a-3008792/

Gracenotes:

Problem with Gracenotes is how up to date it is. EACs is user supported and the home system doesn't have access to Gracenote so digitizing home stuff Gracenotes isn't of help to cover car and home if your media server doesn't support it. EACs you type missing stuff into it from the back of the CD cover - old school, submit to the community and do your own artwork 500x500 but if the mib3 unit isn't seeing cover.jpg or doing strange things. Those BBC concerts I do that way. Every directory gets a cover.jpg file no bigger than 500x500 all other artwork I dump in a directory called Artwork. My own production method for digital music for the home or car mib2 / mib2 high.

So some artwork may well be pre installed in the system or dragged down over the air from Gracenotes reading the Id. Hopefully album art presented in a folder takes precedence over anything integrated into the file or indexed using Gracenotes.

I was never too sure when the Gracenotes stuff got updated on a mib2 high. Probably at the time of any firmware updates to the unit, not navigation. I circumvented it in any case. Doesn't feel timely if in mib2 it's fixed to the firmware. Mib3 ?. You would sort of expect it gets updated over the air like the maps.

Keep experimenting. Reckon you need to create an mp3 or Flac from a broadcast with no ID information and see whether it will read a companion Cover.jpg file or folder.jpg sized 500x500. Keep the test simple, stripping away the variables. I'd like to know whether it reads companion art folder file or whether that's been abandoned.

Gracenotes:

Tried a Flac folder and an mp3 folder with same album. Art on Flac was cover.jpg ann mp3 with art enbedded on files with Stamp ID3. When scrolling through in car the tracks came up in duplicate with each second one with the art so Flac mp3.
Will try suggestion from #Bedlam and see if Mp3tag helps

Tell

Staff member
Tried a Flac folder and an mp3 folder with same album. Art on Flac was cover.jpg ann mp3 with art enbedded on files with Stamp ID3. When scrolling through in car the tracks came up in duplicate with each second one with the art so Flac mp3.
Will try suggestion from #Bedlam and see if Mp3tag helps
Sure Gracenotes isn't kicking in. That's why it needs to be tested without any ID contained in the file so it doesn't try to use Gracenotes database within the system to see whether it's reading the cover art file. Then test it again with a file which has got the embedded art and ID etc. Then with the cover.jpg file placed in the directory etc.

If you are seeing it twice might be once from what you present and what Gracenotes finds. The plot thickens. Bedlam is on mib2 I reckon.

Wonder if these things are being discussed on foreign boards ?. Mib2 works fine the way I described which was originally posted up on the Seat Cupra site, an old mib2 trick 🤗.... and it works with BubbleUPnp in the home - tick the boxes for me.

I installed Mp3tag in May 2016 when I started digitizing all my home stuff but didnt use it 🤣. Just looked at the file dates.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Sure Gracenotes isn't kicking in. That's why it needs to be tested without any ID contained in the file so it doesn't try to use Gracenotes database within the system to see whether it's reading the cover art file. Then test it again with a file which has got the embedded art and ID etc. Then with the cover.jpg file placed in the directory etc.

If you are seeing it twice might be once from what you present and what Gracenotes finds. The plot thickens. Bedlam is on mib2 I reckon.

Wonder if these things are being discussed on foreign boards ?. Mib2 works fine the way I described which was originally posted up on the Seat Cupra site, an old mib2 trick 🤗.... and it works with BubbleUPnp in the home - tick the boxes for me.

I installed Mp3tag in May 2016 when I started digitizing all my home stuff but didnt use it 🤣. Just looked at the file dates.
The double entry was a side issue as I had loaded the same album twice but changed the folder title on second one.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
The double entry was a side issue as I had loaded the same album twice but changed the folder title on second one.
Think I have cracked it.
Tried a few albums using Mp3tag to view the directory of album. Lets me do a select all and drag drop album art to embed on each file. This now shows art when flicking the carousel of covers on the media.

Question is whether there is an easy way to do an auto batch as have just been downloading an image and copying across. Noticed that there was Freedb but did not seem active on Mp3tag.

Reactions: Tell

Tell

Staff member
Oh are we having good news. Like good news 😅.

I see some people don't have success on their VW mibs

Competitor board, the guy is pushing his recovery art software but has an interesting bullet point:

* Artwork image files hidden by MS Windows don't display - affects Mib3

That's an interesting one that doesn't effect mib2. Possibly keep it simple stupid is a good one.

Tell

Staff member
Think I have cracked it.
Tried a few albums using Mp3tag to view the directory of album. Lets me do a select all and drag drop album art to embed on each file. This now shows art when flicking the carousel of covers on the media.

Question is whether there is an easy way to do an auto batch as have just been downloading an image and copying across. Noticed that there was Freedb but did not seem active on Mp3tag.
Hopefully it will be sorted out when I'm on mib5 in 10 years time :). You could look at the guy's batch fixer in the link above if @Bedlam doesn't reckon Mp3tag would do it... leaves me wondering where Gracenotes built in comes in.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Oh are we having good news. Like good news 😅.

I see some people don't have success on their VW mibs

Competitor board, the guy is pushing his recovery art software but has an interesting bullet point:

* Artwork image files hidden by MS Windows don't display - affects Mib3

That's an interesting one that doesn't effect mib2. Possibly keep it simple stupid is a good one.
Will have a look at the batch idea
Not sure the MS Windows issue applies as could see the jpg files and the files play on other media.

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Ha looks like a fix. Did it old school using Mp3tag to embed the album art on each file. Briefly add directory from data stick, open each album folder, select all files then drag drop the cover.jpg or in one case drag from google, then save and change to next folder. Might not be easy with large amount of albums. Did not check for any batch process options and did not find the Discog link on Mp3tag easy to source the album art.
Thanks to @Bedlam and @Tell for heads up on this one.
Using a right angle usb c plug and cable to a double ended usb stick

Now we just need a fix for Radio logos :)

Attachments

• IMG_20210322_174337.jpg
    IMG_20210322_174337.jpg
    423.3 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_20210322_174412.jpg
    IMG_20210322_174412.jpg
    518.1 KB · Views: 105

Oldboy racer

Apr 18, 2017
Glasgow
Ha looks like a fix. Did it old school using Mp3tag to embed the album art on each file. Briefly add directory from data stick, open each album folder, select all files then drag drop the cover.jpg or in one case drag from google, then save and change to next folder. Might not be easy with large amount of albums. Did not check for any batch process options and did not find the Discog link on Mp3tag easy to source the album art.
Thanks to @Bedlam and @Tell for heads up on this one.
Using a right angle usb c plug and cable to a double ended usb stick

Now we just need a fix for Radio logos :)
PS
One album still had no art. Schoolboy error on my part as the image was more than 500x500 !

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Using MP3 Tag you can select your source directory (root of USB, SD Card or whatever) then select all files listed, then right click the artwork "box" (which will be empty) and get some options, one of which is to resize artwork, this in essence is a batch job to re-size all artwork

Tell

Staff member
Seems there are three methods of working:

A. The old Seat Cupra way, slap an image of no more than 500×500 in the album directory (named cover.jpg, folder.jpg whatever) (That's standard media server practice). Don't have any other standalone album art in that directory other than that.

B. MP3 Tag that puts the image on each file rather than folder, resize or place if doesn't contain one.

C. The TROC guys home brew RecoverArt macro

----

C. feels like B. but applies some magic which we are not sure about to clean connected to MS Windows supposed hidden graphic files. Not sure about that one. May not offer anything over B.

A. works on all Mib2. I guess it's fine on Mib3 unless Mib3 stumbles on big Art contained within the music file. Was trying to get Oldboyracer to test that. B. gives you specific art to the track so if you mix tracks within a folder each has its own art. How that shows for the folder view pass.

Z. Is leave it to built in Gracenotes yet to be proven how that reveals itself in mib3 certainly wasn't fixing the initial problem. I've always discounted Gracenotes since it won't label your own home brew material obtain from broadcasts which you play in the car or home. Eg. Big Weekend or whatever.

A. or B. are probably fine assuming in the A. approach the unit ignores big graphics within the media files and takes the cover.jpg appropriate sized art in precedence. Not sure that one was resolved in the test. B. is boots and braces.

That leaves us with any witchcraft that is required with RecoveryArt... suspect A. or B. Is just as good dependent on your method of working but if still stumbling that TROC guys macro is another option. He does name some art libraries in that post which may be of use if you get pressed for finding album art work using a Google on images for an album. That's generally an issue for very old albums where they haven't been released on CD so Amazon art of a Google image search doesn't find anything or very new albums which are 600x600 (just blows the limits of 500x500). Those I downsize myself by just resaving in a graphics package. Obviously that's where B. comes in or C. to resize the image within the media file.

Not a macro man myself they always go wrong 🤗.

Reactions: Oldboy racer

Bedlam

Feb 26, 2009
North Yorkshire
Using MP3 Tag you can select your source directory (root of USB, SD Card or whatever) then select all files listed, then right click the artwork "box" (which will be empty) and get some options, one of which is to resize artwork, this in essence is a batch job to re-size all artwork
I should clarify "then right click the artwork "box" (which will be empty)"
It is "empty" because you have selected multiple tracks from multiple albums, the reality is that the Artwork is actually preserved for each individual track and/or album.
So by "right clicking" the "empty" artwork box you will be offered batch processing options for all selected tracks.
The FAQ's of "MP3 Tag" are very intuitive too

Edit: "MP3 Tag" when re-sizing will attempt to use 500 x 500, if the artwork is smaller than that it will not "grow it" to 500 x 500

Last edited:
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.