Software Update 1896

There are some pretty large service packets available which cover quite a few modules. Worth checking your car has had any available ones carried out

Well - mine has chucked a wobbly

Taken it in today because the dash kept lighting up like a christmas tree.
error - start/stop system
error - front assist unavailable
error - lane assist unavailable
error - park assist unavailable
error - park distance control
error - tyre pressure loss indicator
error - electronic parking brake - please take to workshop
error - dynamic road sign display
error - auto hold
error - stability control ( ESC )

Currently on 1804 - guessing they will put 1896 on it as a first attempt to fix it.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
There are some pretty large service packets available which cover quite a few modules. Worth checking your car has had any available ones carried out
Right now they have me worried.
They have had the car since Tuesday
They are trying to update it from 1804 to 1896
The are saying the update keeps crashing part way through and have tried multiple times.

So I have gone from a drivable car that shows lots of errors - to a car that they now say doesn't work !!!!

It's not looking good.

The are saying the update keeps crashing part way through and have tried multiple times.

So I have gone from a drivable car that shows lots of errors - to a car that they now say doesn't work !!!!

It's not looking good.
Don't stress, they'll sort it

They'll get as much technical support as they ask for (if they're patient)

Reactions: DEAN0

IanH72

Jan 20, 2019

It's not looking good.
Hi Deana, I’m sorry to hear about the problems with your car. If I was you I would call Cupra customer services (0800 049 7106) and get them to look into the issues with your car and also supply you with a Formentor courtesy car.

JamieSeatMaster

May 7, 2021

error - auto hold

Currently on 1804 - guessing they will put 1896 on it as a first attempt to fix it.
The 1896 will fix a lot of your problems but there are update for the auto handbrake...

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
The 1896 will fix a lot of your problems but there are update for the auto handbrake...

As of a couple of hours ago - the car is still refusing to take 1896 - and won't even accept going back to 1804.
They have been on to the tech team for the last couple of days but don't seem to be getting any further.

Tell

Staff member
As of a couple of hours ago - the car is still refusing to take 1896 - and won't even accept going back to 1804.
They have been on to the tech team for the last couple of days but don't seem to be getting any further.
Feels a bit like mib2 where you can go in one direction but tricky to go in reverse. This is where you wonder whether dealers have the software experience. If it was mib2 you'd have to go in the back end and force the update thru to go backwards. Suspects it's similar design. Then if you jump trains you get in a pickle although 1804 is still in 18xx so wouldn't be that.

I wasn't impressed when I messed my mib2 high in my early days, the Seat guy was busy soaking engine parts in petrol out the back and explained how support worked from HQs. They just followed instructions they were given. Had a week to sort it out before the charged visit. Two days before I located the map update the car came with, restored it myself and Bob was your Uncle. I don't reckon the dealership would have sorted it out.

For you at worse they would have to lay their hands on another unit and fit that or someone who knows how to do a firmware refresh in the backend would have to talk them thru it. If it's like mib2 you enable the developers menu which give you the SWDL command then do a full install using the manual, all toggle. 😉. Bet it's similar. Explained that a few times on the mib2 firmware thread. Without the backend menu enabled you can't go backwards.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Feels a bit like mib2 where you can go in one direction but tricky to go in reverse. This is where you wonder whether dealers have the software experience. If it was mib2 you'd have to go in the back end and force the update thru to go backwards. Suspects it's similar design. Then if you jump trains you get in a pickle although 1804 is still in 18xx so wouldn't be that.

I wasn't impressed when I messed my mib2 high in my early days, the Seat guy was busy soaking engine parts in petrol out the back and explained how support worked from HQs. They just followed instructions they were given. Had a week to sort it out before the charged visit. Two days before I located the map update the car came with, restored it myself and Bob was your Uncle. I don't reckon the dealership would have sorted it out.

For you at worse they would have to lay their hands on another unit and fit that or someone who knows how to do a firmware refresh in the backend would have to talk them thru it. If it's like mib2 you enable the developers menu which give you the SWDL command then do a full install using the manual, all toggle. 😉. Bet it's similar. Explained that a few times on the mib2 firmware thread. Without the backend menu enabled you can't go backwards.
No idea what their next plan of action is right now.

After 4 days of trying - the update is still not happening.

They claim to have already had tech support involved ( guessing on line rather than in person )

Tell

Staff member
No idea what their next plan of action is right now.

After 4 days of trying - the update is still not happening.

They claim to have already had tech support involved ( guessing on line rather than in person )
Will be good to know what they do since I don't reckon there is too much community knowledge out there exactly on mib3 processes. The people that tinker haven't got mib3 yet to tinker with. Seat workshops follow set instructions but aren't software engineers, mechanics and sales folk.

Guess they will swap the unit out if they can lay hands on one and study back at Seat UK what the issue is unless they have a European supremo support that can tell them what to do. Might be some simple instruction they aren't following and with the right guy they would get it right.. ... That's where your Seat master technician fully trained is suppose to come in as the interface. The guy who use to do the driving at one dealership I used told me once they hadn't got one and the dealership was in a mess 😂. Comes of using retired business folk as drivers.

/dev/null

Nov 12, 2008
How long have you had the car? You could potentially reject it based on unfit for purpose.

Reactions: Big A

Tell

Staff member
It's a software upgrade that's gone wrong. There will be quite a few going thru that route and those that are on lower trains which are all waiting to get on the 18xx one. Leon 4 and Formentor then there are the wider upgrades to sort out other issues. Probably why VAG should get it right first time when the car is shipped rather than relying on coding of shipped cars. Must be going to be a big back log one suspects.

I'm sure they will sort out Deano's car but interesting how they do.

Updated from 1672 to 1896.

Please bare in mind this is only currently possible for cars with the PR code 8AR, NOT 8AW. This means it wasn't officially available for my car but I'm sick of waiting for it

First impressions - mindblown

Attachments

• IMG_20220411_212911.jpg
    IMG_20220411_212911.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 292
  • IMG-20220411-WA0050.jpeg
    IMG-20220411-WA0050.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 272
Reactions: Tell

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK

error - auto hold

UPDATE - car is back - it is still on 1804 - they seem to have sorted the errors.

Apparently there was a wiring issue !!

No details given but apparently they were guided on a fault finding mission by a senior tech.

Reactions: Big A and Tell

Big A

Jul 7, 2021
UPDATE - car is back - it is still on 1804 - they seem to have sorted the errors.

Apparently there was a wiring issue !!

No details given but apparently they were guided on a fault finding mission by a senior tech.
That's good you've got it back and all working, albeit still on the older 1804 software.

I'm just back from my local dealer, as my gearbox decided to through a wobbly. Turns out I've got a sporadic gear selector issue, so will hopefully get sorted when it is in next week for it's previous issue. Starting to loose the love slightly with this car.

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
Updated from 1672 to 1896.

Please bare in mind this is only currently possible for cars with the PR code 8AR, NOT 8AW. This means it wasn't officially available for my car but I'm sick of waiting for it

First impressions - mindblown
BTW, can you share
TPI document so that I know which magical words to say for them to apply it?

In other words, unless I complain about specific faults it supposedly fixes, they will not perform the update.

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.