Software Update 1896

Naxterra

Apr 10, 2022
From what I've seen on here some minor updates can happen over the air but full infotainment updates need to be done at the dealers. It takes up to 3 hours apparently. Mines booked in for early May.
Oh, that is a shame :(

Tell

Staff member
From what I've seen on here some minor updates can happen over the air but full infotainment updates need to be done at the dealers. It takes up to 3 hours apparently. Mines booked in for early May.
You don't get off the software release with an over the air update. Suspect they change the long string or something which the current release uses rather than the actual code so the functionality changes but same old release. Just the program is steered differently. That's my take on what the over the air updates are.

Heya, I hope this is not a noobish question but is there a way to update my car to latest firmware on my own or do I have to bring it to the service?
Whilst there's a way, I wouldn't recommend it. There's been a lot of niggles/issues even with small updates

The update from 1672 to 1896 is a huge service pack that 100% isn't DIY

Reactions: oldgitdave and Tell

MartinT

Nov 22, 2021
Had mine updated to 1896 on Wednesday having waited since last July to book it in for what I hoped would be a ‘fix all’ update.

Had speaker pops and loss of data connection on the way home from the dealer, speaker pops followed by ‘SOS Error’ on the following day, and multiple speaker pops and loss of data connection today. Utterly amazed that they can’t get these things stable :banghead2

Tell

Staff member
I think that's the SOS unit software so the infotainment update isnt going to fix that.... well I never thought it was going to fix it. I did post up the VW fix for that some months ago, think Seat has not got round to issuing that fix yet. I did post up someone's VW worksheet where it was fixed that I lifted of a VW forum.

If I re find that perhaps East Yorkshire can use their system to find out what that VW fix was. Basically VAG use the core firmware code then decorate it into brand releases, sort of like sub routine libraries... might be showing my age now, youngsters will call them something else now 🤣.

Reactions: MartinT

MartinT

Nov 22, 2021
Thanks for that info, unsurprisingly the dealer assured me that all my list of bugs would be fixed with 1896….. they’ll be getting a call from me on Tuesday.

MartinT

Nov 22, 2021
Here’s all the info:

Before:

Device part number: 5FA035862D
Hardware: H56
Software: 1803
Display unit/control panel hardware: H43
Display unit/control panel software: 6074
Navigation database: 22.1
Media Codec: 3.1.4

After:

Device part number: 5FA035862K
Hardware: H56
Software: 1896
Display unit/control panel hardware: H43
Display unit/control panel software: 6074
Navigation database: 22.1
Media Codec: 3.1.4
Radio database: 1.30.30

The ‘overtake prevention feature’ and the SOS error (which I get very often and always results in the sat nav going way off course) are the two biggest issues that make long journeys a frustrating experience. Early days, but since 1896 I haven’t seen any km/h speed limits indicated and all ACC overtakes have been fine, so maybe at least that’s been sorted.

Reactions: Tell

Napmasterflash

Jan 21, 2021
My car had the SOS pops fixed a few months back. They said they needed it for a few days as if a software update didn't fix it, it required a hardwear change.

Fortunately the software sorted it and had it back on the same day but no change to infotainment software version so think it's separate.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Tell

Staff member
My car had the SOS pops fixed a few months back. They said they needed it for a few days as if a software update didn't fix it, it required a hardwear change.

Fortunately the software sorted it and had it back on the same day but no change to infotainment software version so think it's separate.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
The SOS issue is outside of the infotainment firmware. I haven't relocated yet my post with a VW job sheet that said what they did to fix a VW.... fellow poster may find it 😉. It's there somewhere.

Tell

Staff member
Still looking for my old post with the VW dealer fix but found this:

Screenshot_20220418-011526.png

Further Google and lot of VW Golfs got called back in.

The OCU is the connected car chip. Reckon it's Seats version of that which is the issue which they are slow to sort out.

Screenshot_20220418-013017.png

MartinT

Nov 22, 2021
Thanks, bit disappointed with the dealer as they had a list of complaints and really should have known what software update was needed for it. If Napmasterflash (and I’m pretty sure others too) have had a fix, it must be known by the dealer network. They also told me that there was an outstanding recall on it, but that they didn’t have the equipment to perform it, but then nothing else was said on the subject. Maybe time to try a different CUPRA dealer.

Apologies for the slight thread hijack.

Tell

Staff member
Well people thought that 1896 was going to fix all their woes but the pop that originates from the telematics software it doesn't touch so I would not apologies. I don't reckon too many Seat / Cupra people have had that fix but I could be wrong. That is the issue that has been plaguing VAG MQB Evo platform reported in the media and forums. E.g..

1896 does fix the LHD / RHD jumping and overtaking issue when it gets confused thou experience to East Yorkshire retro above. I always thought that was driven by the map data. They have probably pinned the car down to the country it's being driven in now so it doesn't skip about. Programming bug.

Well people thought that 1896 was going to fix all their woes but the pop that originates from the telematics software it doesn't touch so I would not apologies. I don't reckon too many Seat / Cupra people have had that fix but I could be wrong. That is the issue that has been plaguing VAG MQB Evo platform reported in the media and forums. E.g..

1896 does fix the LHD / RHD jumping and overtaking issue when it gets confused thou experience to East Yorkshire retro above. I always thought that was driven by the map data. They have probably pinned the car down to the country it's being driven in now so it doesn't skip about. Programming bug.
The cars thatve gone from 16xx to 18xx and had the big service pack will have received the clicking fix, the SOS fix and a vast array of others

Cars already on 17/18xx and updated to 1896, I don't believe have had the huge service pack yet - however I haven't checked the software versions on the other affected modules

Reactions: Tell

Jaco2k

AWD FTW
Mar 11, 2018
Tampere, Finland
www.youtube.com
The cars thatve gone from 16xx to 18xx and had the big service pack will have received the clicking fix, the SOS fix and a vast array of others

Cars already on 17/18xx and updated to 1896, I don't believe have had the huge service pack yet - however I haven't checked the software versions on the other affected modules

Any news or rumours regarding the few lucky bastards that are still stuck with 1672 and that are not part of the initial group?

Ninjakebab

Apr 12, 2022
Went from 1804 to 1896 yesterday. Just told the workshop it was being sluggish and they updated. I don't really have any issues :whistle:

Definitely more responsive and faster to startup when turning on the car. The battery management screen has also been updated a bit, with more descriptive controls of what it does. I like it.