CHUGGING ENGINE IN THE MORNING

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Hi there everyone I have noticed on some cold mornings my car starts absolutely fine but now and again the engine chuggs for a brief second as if fuel is not getting through. After I rev the engine for a bit it stops it completely. Like I say only seems to do it when the temp drops. Any ideas. No warning lights on engine at all and starts first time every time my car has just done 63k and is 2018 model could the fuel filter need changing ? cheers thanks

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
My 184FR does exactly the same thing, and it's doing my tit not know why it does it! It's done it a few times over the years.
Starts up on a freezing cold morning perfectly, de-ice the car for a few mins, then it starts misfiring/chugging/lumpy. Switch it off/on and it's back to being fine. I'm assuming it's a sensor somewhere, but I've Googled everything I can think of to see if anyone else has had the same issue, and nothing.
I put OBDeleven on it the other day and nothing recorded.
Do you use your car daily?

Reactions: Leonfrdiesel184

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Not too sure if this is part of the cold start cycle - as you are probably aware, diesel has a tendency to 'wax' when very cold - similar to slush.

Glow-plugs typically heat for 5-7 seconds pre-heat, a couple of seconds during start, 120-180 seconds once engine is running. Perhaps, glowplugs are switching off before enough heat is in the engine for smooth combustion.

Switching engine off, restarting, will restart the glow plug cycle, hence smooth running.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
I had the waxing on a C-Max TDi. Ford said the fuel filter would wax up and stop the flow of diesel through the pressure rail. Whenever I put my foot down, it would go into limp mode. They recommended changing the fuel filter annually.

Wondering if the 184 is waxing up as I'm only using it 1-2 times a week. May not be such a problem if I was using it daily.

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
My 184FR does exactly the same thing, and it's doing my tit not know why it does it! It's done it a few times over the years.
Starts up on a freezing cold morning perfectly, de-ice the car for a few mins, then it starts misfiring/chugging/lumpy. Switch it off/on and it's back to being fine. I'm assuming it's a sensor somewhere, but I've Googled everything I can think of to see if anyone else has had the same issue, and nothing.
I put OBDeleven on it the other day and nothing recorded.
Do you use your car daily?
Hi mate thanks for the reply I do alot of miles everyday in mine so little use shouldn't be the problem but at least it sounds like it's nothing to worry about if your car has been fine last few years mate.

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Not too sure if this is part of the cold start cycle - as you are probably aware, diesel has a tendency to 'wax' when very cold - similar to slush.

Glow-plugs typically heat for 5-7 seconds pre-heat, a couple of seconds during start, 120-180 seconds once engine is running. Perhaps, glowplugs are switching off before enough heat is in the engine for smooth combustion.

Switching engine off, restarting, will restart the glow plug cycle, hence smooth running.
Hi mate do you think changing the fuel filter would make any difference to this at all ? Thanks mate

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022

Is it anything to worry about mate ?

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
In your initial post, you stated that you rev the engine it stops. I assume you mean the 'chugging stops' rather than the engine stops/stalls?

If this is the case, then it is probably be ok

With VCDS it is possible to raise the low idle engine speed slightly to cure a rough low idle.

In terms of the fuel filter, it should have been replaced at 90,000 km (56,250 mi). If not replaced, then it is due.

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
In your initial post, you stated that you rev the engine it stops. I assume you mean the 'chugging stops' rather than the engine stops/stalls?

If this is the case, then it is probably be ok

With VCDS it is possible to raise the low idle engine speed slightly to cure a rough low idle.

In terms of the fuel filter, it should have been replaced at 90,000 km (56,250 mi). If not replaced, then it is due.
Thanks again mate no the engine doesn't stall just the chugging goes away once I give it a few revs. I will get the fuel filter changed it seems an easy thing to do looking online should I have some spare diesel in a can to top the filter back up afterwards ? What is vcds mate ? Lol

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
VCDS is a diagnostic tool, equivalent to the dealer tool. It can read/write to the vehicle control modules and can be used to conduct some maintenance functions.

The workshop manuals are here:

Instructions are in the documents titled 'maintenance' and 4 Cyl Diesel Engine (or something similar).

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017

I wonder if it's got any thing to do with the automatic glow period control unit - J179

1674548584703.png

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
I wonder if it's got any thing to do with the automatic glow period control unit - J179

View attachment 35289
The issue is that it is operating as intended. Whilst the glow plug controller could be changed to operate for longer on the start cycle, this would reduce the life of the glow plugs. The car isn't stalling, and there are plenty of other sensors measuring pressures, temperatures, engine speed, vibration etc that ensure it is functioning within the design parameters. For example, no of cold starts is one of the factors that will reduce the distance/time on a car subject to variable servicing regime.

As above, unless the amber glow plug in flashing on the dash, and no DTC fault codes, the car is ok.

RUM4MO

Jun 4, 2008
South Scotland
Diesel, in UK, changes to a winter formulae in maybe early October, same for petrol, so waxing should not be happening unless it is still Summer Diesel that is in the tank.

SteveGSXR600K1

May 6, 2017
As above, unless the amber glow plug in flashing on the dash, and no DTC fault codes, the car is ok.
Tomorrow morning is going to be a bit more milder than it has been, but if it does play up, I'll record it and see if revving it makes it go away. When it plays up the revs are up and down between 750-950, car shakes/rocks, engine sounds like someone's tapping it with a hammer. Definitely not ok.

black_sheep

Mar 10, 2013
Diesel, in UK, changes to a winter formulae in maybe early October, same for petrol, so waxing should not be happening unless it is still Summer Diesel that is in the tank.
EN590 CFPP (cold filter plugging point) is -15 deg C (winter grade), but the fuel starts to cloud (wax) from -5 deg C (but there is no specification for this). Also, a lot of fleet/plant operators are having issues with newer bio-fuels mixes waxing at higher temps than is the norm.

Attachments

• 0447925B-38D9-4D8D-9AA4-F76F82C80FFF.jpeg
    0447925B-38D9-4D8D-9AA4-F76F82C80FFF.jpeg
    241.3 KB · Views: 47

Leonfrdiesel184

Apr 18, 2022
Tomorrow morning is going to be a bit more milder than it has been, but if it does play up, I'll record it and see if revving it makes it go away. When it plays up the revs are up and down between 750-950, car shakes/rocks, engine sounds like someone's tapping it with a hammer. Definitely not ok.
Hi mate how did you get on ?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.