Infotainment restarts

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
I contacted Cupra Sweden earlier this year and they responded thay had spoke to my garage and that they would be happy to take it in. After checking with the garage I was told there’s no update available for my car (I’m on A896) so I decided not to bring it in. They can’t fix software issues if there’s no update and they have no idea when/if there will be one anytime soon.
The latest firmware is 1898 and 1899 so there is an update for your car but it won’t fix the rebooting issue as I’m on 1898 and it still does it 😡☹️

Hampa1

Mar 23, 2021
The latest firmware is 1898 and 1899 so there is an update for your car but it won’t fix the rebooting issue as I’m on 1898 and it still does it 😡☹️
Yes, I’ve seen some members here having 1898 and 1899 but I never understood why some of us are told these versions are not available for our cars. Either the garage lie/don’t know or there’s another reason behind. Might be some good reason not being available, but it’s beyond me.
A896 (OTA) works pretty well 95% of the time and especially compared to 1804 which the car came with late 2021, but the reboot is so annoying.

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
Yes, I’ve seen some members here having 1898 and 1899 but I never understood why some of us are told these versions are not available for our cars. Either the garage lie/don’t know or there’s another reason behind. Might be some good reason not being available, but it’s beyond me.
A896 (OTA) works pretty well 95% of the time and especially compared to 1804 which the car came with late 2021, but the reboot is so annoying.
The problem is that the dealers just put the chassis number in to the system to check for updates.
Unless there is a specific problem to solve - the system will tell them the car is on the latest sofware it needs to be on.

They are not going to spend time updating software unless it serves a purpose ( fixing a problem )

Alex667

Jan 10, 2023
United Kingdom
The problem is that the dealers just put the chassis number in to the system to check for updates.
Unless there is a specific problem to solve - the system will tell them the car is on the latest sofware it needs to be on.

They are not going to spend time updating software unless it serves a purpose ( fixing a problem )
And that's exactly why I take photos of everything happening and print them out for the mechanic to see so they can't fob it off and say nothing's wrong. I keep video too but that's harder to print :D

Reactions: Hampa1

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Exactly thats what my dealer told me when I asked about the latest update, plus he would need the car for the whole day if I still wanted an update. He politely told me not to bother unless I have an unsolved issue and so I didnt. Still have every two months or so the occasional non working radio sound or mobile phone sound through the speakers or some parking assistance messages letting me know they are not working but they are back working at next start up of the car. Thankfully this is only what's occasionally wrong with the car, otherwise problem free for close to 20 k km.

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
Exactly thats what my dealer told me when I asked about the latest update, plus he would need the car for the whole day if I still wanted an update. He politely told me not to bother unless I have an unsolved issue and so I didnt. Still have every two months or so the occasional non working radio sound or mobile phone sound through the speakers or some parking assistance messages letting me know they are not working but they are back working at next start up of the car. Thankfully this is only what's occasionally wrong with the car, otherwise problem free for close to 20 k km.
We're getting so many different replies from the dealers it beggars belief tbh! I don't have any issues (so far) to speak of but I've had a text to say mine needs a software update and my dealer has confirmed the same. 90 mins to do it, but its due service and a recall anyway so it's booked in for 27th March.
I shall report back.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2023
Went to a dealer service twice, they said that made a reset and reinstalled the software again and now the Wi Fi is not working and Android Auto can't connect even by cable......
They said to wait a new software update end of April .....
Really don't know what to say......

Mar 29, 2023
Having the same issue with my Formentor - had it since early November. I didn’t notice the reboot issue happen right away but over the past few months they the infotainment system will randomly restart for no rhyme or reason.

I’ve not noticed a pattern to it, but before the infotainment crashes I’ve noticed my music will stop playing for 2 or so seconds, the screen goes black, I get a warning on my dash about there being an error with the dynamic road sign system, and then the system restarts.

Often I only notice it 5 minutes after I’ve started my engine - I’ve never noticed it happen mid journey or any longer after the initial 5 minute or so period. But I can go a couple of days without it happening, I went maybe 2 weeks without it happening in Feb but then it returned. Doesn’t seem to be much of a pattern with it that I can tell.

I’ve spoken to the dealership I bought it from last year, they just verified I’m on the latest software and it didn’t go anywhere else.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
To me the infotainment crushing happens when I start the car (also the glitches of the parking assistance and sensors), never while driving but its annoying as sometimes it doesn't get fixed unless you restart the car after a while.

Shaun123

Sep 5, 2020
To me the infotainment crushing happens when I start the car (also the glitches of the parking assistance and sensors), never while driving but its annoying as sometimes it doesn't get fixed unless you restart the car after a while.
Mine is going in today to have a reset done on the infotainment system to see if that fixes the rebooting issue. If not next step could be a new control unit 😩

Reactions: LetsForment

oldgitdave

Mar 27, 2022
UK
On 27th March mine went in for a software update to 1899. I was invited via a text message from CUPRAUK on 23rd Feb and it was due for its second service in March anyway.
I've not really had any issues of note whilst on 1896 so was quite happy to have the latest version installed. All went well and again no issues until today (21st April) when on my way for a week's holiday in Devon driving from home in Derbyshire.
So, I joined the M5 from the M42 near Bromgrove and somewhere between there and Worcester I had a couple of speaker pops but no other issues. A couple of miles further on and two more speaker pops, then up popped the SOS emergency signal! (Not had this since version 1806).
Everything continued to run fine and I cancelled the SOS by making an emergency call and pressing cancel (it must have taken at least 3 minutes before poping up on the infotainment screen though). All seemed OK after that.
Just past Gloucester whilst cruising on ACC the whole system crashed, including the instrument panel front of me. ACC continued to work surprisingly, but both the infotainment and instrument panels rebooted. However, it all seemed to be reset to a default. I was no longer the primary user, privacy settings had been set to full privacy, all my destinations and favourite radio stations were gone. Strangely Android Auto was still connected via my mobile but it didn't show in the instrument panel. It said 'no sources found' but AA was there in the infotainment panel.
We were on a scheduled stop at Portishead anyway so parked up, got breakfast and went for a walk with the dog. Got back to the car an hour and a half later, started up and everything was back to normal. WTF?

Secretagent

Nov 26, 2022
On 27th March mine went in for a software update to 1899. I was invited via a text message from CUPRAUK on 23rd Feb and it was due for its second service in March anyway.
I've not really had any issues of note whilst on 1896 so was quite happy to have the latest version installed. All went well and again no issues until today (21st April) when on my way for a week's holiday in Devon driving from home in Derbyshire.
So, I joined the M5 from the M42 near Bromgrove and somewhere between there and Worcester I had a couple of speaker pops but no other issues. A couple of miles further on and two more speaker pops, then up popped the SOS emergency signal! (Not had this since version 1806).
Everything continued to run fine and I cancelled the SOS by making an emergency call and pressing cancel (it must have taken at least 3 minutes before poping up on the infotainment screen though). All seemed OK after that.
Just past Gloucester whilst cruising on ACC the whole system crashed, including the instrument panel front of me. ACC continued to work surprisingly, but both the infotainment and instrument panels rebooted. However, it all seemed to be reset to a default. I was no longer the primary user, privacy settings had been set to full privacy, all my destinations and favourite radio stations were gone. Strangely Android Auto was still connected via my mobile but it didn't show in the instrument panel. It said 'no sources found' but AA was there in the infotainment panel.
We were on a scheduled stop at Portishead anyway so parked up, got breakfast and went for a walk with the dog. Got back to the car an hour and a half later, started up and everything was back to normal. WTF?
I experienced an issue today, I was surprised as it's behaved itself recently. Started the car when returning from shopping and up comes a couple of failure symbols and messages, I didn't have a clue what it was referring too oh and no audio, switched the ignition off and tried again, no joy.
Got home with symbols and messages still showing, switched off the ignition then returned 10 minutes later, ignition on and everything was fine, never a dull day owning a Formentor.

Wyld Stallyn

Be Excellent To Each Other and... Party On Dudes!
Mar 10, 2022
I do wonder if the SW is writing cheques that the processor can't handle all at once? 🤔- I don't bother with Lane assist or ACC and other such unnecessary modern fangled Nancy toys wasting valuable processor capacity for the infotainment and AC.

I just, Pump up the Volume and Drive 🤘😎

Occasionally when pressing on, theres a strange big red symbol pops up in the binacle - at a glance looks a bit like a broken Spiderman symbol and an annoying beep eminates from the dash - I try to ignore it as at that point I'm busy concentrating on the road and my surroundings...

Doogle

Ageing rocker🤟🏻🎸
Nov 25, 2021
Cumbria
I’m still getting them but bizarrely I had an E-mail from my Cupra dealer(Who I’d bought the car from) saying that my car had flagged on their Cupra Connect with an amber alert, as it didn’t say exactly what the alert was for they were seeing if I wanted the car booking in.

My Cupra Connect wasn’t showing any alerts (Amber or otherwise) and neither was the car, I sent a lengthy reply saying that I suspect it could be due to the infotainment restarts as if they occur whilst driving it triggers all the driver assistance alerts etc.
The reply expressed apologies (On behalf of Cupra🙄) for the issues I’d told them about and asked if I wanted to book it in for an investigation, as it’s a good 2.5 hour motorway drive away, and I doubt very much (unless Cupra have an update that finally puts these issues to rest properly) I did not see any benefit in taking the car all that way only for the problems to continue.

To be honest other than the crappy restarts I love the car and am prepared to put up with it for now, until the sky falls in and Cupra/Seat sort this irritating issue out🙄

Mad Spoons

Spoons
Jun 27, 2005
Yorkshire
Mine did it 3 times in half an hour one day this week, but didn’t do it for nearly 2 weeks before that. Getting a bit fed up of it now.

LetsForment

Nov 28, 2022
South East England
Anyone notice that the problem gets worse after an hour or so of driving, almost as if something is over heating in there ?

Still have problems from the get go, but it seems to be worse later in the drive.

pkaps

vz310
May 10, 2022
Being on a road trip for the last 10 days, this morning , my return home day, I started the car after having it parked for a couple of days and it happened, parking assist, sensors and infotainment sound were all out of order, hadn't happened in some time and elected to happen today on my 4 hour trip back home. Well, I tried rebooting the infotainment, nothing happened, I shut off the car for a few minutes, as this did the trick previously, nothing happened, so I couldn't wait the whole day and I was on my way back, no radio, no sound at all so me and the engine and road noise (thankfully the engine noise is almost non existent), stopped to gas up, started up again still no sound and no parking assistance. Anyhow, I got home after 4 hours listening and talking to my self, parked got all my stuff to my house , spent a few more minutes inhouse before going out to grab a bite to eat, started up the car and ALL was back to normal, sound, parking assist etc. All it needed was a few extra minutes to reset, now I remember when the same happened in the past it all went back to normal after a restart but I also remember the car been stopped, out of coincidence, for more than 10-15 minutes. Seems it needs some time before restarting to have the systems working again.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members