• Evo Magazine are looking for a mint and (and ideally unmodified) Leon Cupra Sub8 to drive and photograph for a feature. Find out more here .
  • Hey Guest👍👎 We're looking for reviews of your local CUPRA or SEAT Dealership - it's quick and easy to do: Leave a review now
Sep 27, 2026
3
0
Hey I am new on here. Need some help guys. I own a seat Leon fr 2.0 tdi dsg 150hp 5 months now. Suddenly my Leon experienced a breakdown (AROUND 40/50MPH) as I was getting on a slip road to go on Motorway (LOUD POP SOUND AND HISSING) dashboard said restart engine but the engine wasn’t turned off lost power parked on hard shoulder. Requested RAC on App

RAC towed it to garage they done a diagnostic test only 02 sensor came back. Been told by the RAC patrol most likely the culprit is TURBO BOOST PIPE.

A friend/mechanic of mine started to inspected the turbo boost pipe just for the purpose of photographs and videos as he doesn’t deal with these jobs.

On inspection after removing the air box he noticed something rattling inside airbox to find small metal object. Shown on first image. (LATER IMAGES SENT TO A MOBILE MECHANIC CONFIRMED ITS PART OF THE TURBO) after took off turbo elbow to see the catastrophic damage to the turbocharger. Engine does not turn over. Anyone can help please feel free to message to recommend a turbo specialist garage as everyone in my area who does the jobs are way too busy and won’t take on the job. HOPEFULLY MY ENGINE IS NOT DAMAGED

I am from burnley lancashire thanks
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6865.jpeg
    IMG_6865.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_6866.jpeg
    IMG_6866.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_6868.png
    IMG_6868.png
    698.5 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_6850.jpeg
    IMG_6850.jpeg
    405.4 KB · Views: 57
I’d be getting the engine thoroughly checked over aswell, out of all due respect that turbo looks f*cked!!

You’ll struggle finding a garage close by that specialises only in turbos, unless others on here know anyone. If I were you I’d be ringing all the local vw specialists near you, see if they can inspect the engine for damage and source/fit a new turbocharger. There must be at least one that’s not busy surely
 
  • Like
Reactions: nd-photo.nl
I’d be getting the engine thoroughly checked over aswell, out of all due respect that turbo looks f*cked!!

You’ll struggle finding a garage close by that specialises only in turbos, unless others on here know anyone. If I were you I’d be ringing all the local vw specialists near you, see if they can inspect the engine for damage and source/fit a new turbocharger. There must be at least one that’s not busy surely
Hi yes it’s defo f****d. There’s only one VAG specialist in my town to be honest they are gonna charge arm and leg that’s why I haven’t called yet. There’s a handful of experienced mechanics that can look into it too but mega busy. Appreciate if you or anyone could find anyone preferably lancashire based as it would need towing. Cheers
 
Sorry to see this, did you buy from a garage? If yes - i'd be contacting them about fixing.
Looks like the turbo has 'eaten' itself! That metal piece is the nut/shaft that used to hold the compressor wheel in place!

Has it being remapped? and were you giving it the beans? Remapped engines run higher boost - which comes from higher turbo RPMs, if not a reputable tuner may have been operating above the turbo's 'safe' RPM limit?

I don't understand how this could cause you engine to lock up unless some 'debry' is in your cylinder/valve or unless you had an oil problem first - which destroyed your turbo & bottom end?

This is a new turbo compressor & nut:
1790584205893.png


I would pull out your glow plugs & injectors (quite an easy job) - as their tip condition can tell you a lot about your combustion cylinder condition and if anything metal has been bouncing round in there?
I recently got myself a borescope from temu (the £30 + ones which can articulate, not the cheap USB ones) - it's being amazing, I would highly recommend getting one, and you can inspect your cylinders, valves, egr, turbo, dpf etc..
If there is no damage in your cylinders/valves and your engine is locked up - I would suspect some oil system problem and probably need a new engine!
 
  • Like
Reactions: cupra.hsd
If you bought it from a garage, contact them first/directly. I don't know how the laws are in the UK, but if you buy a car, then it should have reasonable quality and work correctly for X years (and not 5 months).

Engine lockup is not a good sign. There might be a chance that a big chunk of the turbo has filled a cilinder(s), which results in the piston not being to able to reach top dead center (?)

One of the pictures only shows the intake side, I'm wondering how the exhaust side looks like. The first 2 pictures show the shaft, that should be straight :unsure:

61XGJDr4t-L.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: SuperV8