Oil Pressure & Oil Temp Gauges

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
OK, I know I fitted them to the 1.6 and that was a task and it was pretty crampt, I know the Cupra is worse but the main answer I'm looking for is who has successfully fitted both? If answer to that is me then read on...

... Did the oil temp sender and oil pressure sender fit with a T-piece at the oil filter housing, or did you need to use a remote mounting kit? It looks like the senders may fit in but it'll be tight, the main problem been the size of the autometer oil pressure senders.

Also I know autometer senders all have a 1/8NPT thread so I'll need a T-piece that has two female 1/8NPT ports and one M10x1 male port, anyone know where to find such an item??

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Before I just had the oil pressure in the 1.6 (same filter housing) and it touched the dizzy when trying to screw it in, other than that it was fine. Wont have the dizzy problem with the Cupra but there looks to be some plugs inline with the housing bolt.

Going to go see if I can get some measurements and see if the plugs can be re-located. I did a write up when I did the 1.6 so I'll do the same for the Cupra.

You fitting both or just oil temp?

Jonzy

autometer pressure sender, had a good look but can only sell the solid banjo connector on top of the housing.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Right, you got an 1/8NPT Female to M10x1 Male addaptor? If not buy one, fitting of just the sender is easy and there looks to be enough room (will go check with my old sender and adaptor once the engines cooled). I'll just go dig out the pictures of the bolt from the 1.6 pictures.

Jonzy

the 20vt and the 1.6 share the same housing then? Ill get an adaptor today.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Yeh it does, heres the 1.6 one...

gaugeinstall_5.jpg

I'll just go get a cupra picture, 2 secs!

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Got the pictures, but need to go to work now (well should have set off 6 mins back lol). Will be back about 22:30 / 23:00 will post the pictures up then. I've also got pics of the adaptor, i bought it from the 42nd Draft Design importer based in ireland.

Martin CUK

CruisinUK.com
Jul 13, 2004
NW
www.cruisinuk.com
I've tried 3 times to get the blanking bolt out but it just won't budge! :(

Plus it's an awkward place to get to. I didn't realise i needed an adapter either, so it's a good job I didn't get it out either, lol.

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Jesus am I the only one who's managed to wire them up into my previous Ibiza's lol? Oil Pressure on its own, or Oil Temp on it's own is dead simple... It when you want to run both does it get awkward due to space issues!!

Here's the pictures that'll help you find the block off, also note the picture of the Autometer sender WITH the 1/8NPT Female to M10x1 Male adaptor.

cupra_blankingplug.JPG

Look through the gaps in the intake manifold to find those two plugs, then tilt you head to the right a bit and you should be able to see the blanking plug, located down on the filter housing. To remove it you need a 6mm allen key and it can be tight, I used a long lever one on the 1.6 and it came out quite easy.

cupra_oilsender.JPG

Be prepared to loose loads of knuckle flesh when removing the plug and fitting the sender, on the Cupra it'd be wise to remove some brackets to make a little more room.

Last edited:

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
im fitting my oil pressure gauge this weekend just waiting on the relocation kit

unlike the MK3 though i can't get my hand anywhere near the housing so front end and rad have to come off before i can reach it :(

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
Also was thinking if people are interested when I do mine I could make these "wiring looms" with all the atachments so people wouldnt have to pratt around with the wiring too.

On the 1.6 I did the same instead of random wires all over the place made it into one loom as it looked neater and you couldnt see it under the bonnet etc, also remember to solider all the plugs in, never been a fan of just crimping!

roly

midnightmotors.net
Jan 2, 2002
Midnight Motors Workshop
just the oil pressure

the autometer sender i've got is to big to fit into either of the holes on the 20VT oil filter housing so i've ordered a kit from Impossible Performance (not sure on the make tho)

eventually i will fit oil temp aswell so it makes sense to relocate it all now while im doing the pressure gauge

Craig!

IHI Ibiza Cupra
Jan 6, 2005
Guisborough
www.vagcars.co.uk
What I need is a re-location kit that has an M10x1 Male joining line, which leads into a block that'll take two 1/8NPT Male sender units, I presume the one you have bought it like this?

If its not too much trouble can you get some pictures of the kit once it arrives?

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.