Side strip removing

bashy

How should I go about taking the side strips of? Going to get them colour coded. Thanks

rashcupra

MV AGUSTA & 1.8T DUB MK4
Oct 15, 2006
crawley
you may be able to remove them but refitting them is going to look pants! as they are stuck on! think there about £20 odd quid for both sides (4 mouldings) so buy new ones and then take old ones off and respray new ones and then stick them on to take the old ones off get a credit card or something flat and plastic and work a corner up get a grip on lifted edge and pull off the car dont pull to hard dents can be made!

davels

soon 2B 2 wheeler!
Jun 16, 2006
Norwich
try heating them up a bit with a heat gun or if you haven't got a heat gun then use a hairdyer. should loosen the glue a bit, don't get too close though or you may scorch the paintwork :no:

gazjones

seat heat them up to remove them when i had new ones painted when it came to fitting them hey stuck m y car in the spray booth and turned the oven on got pannel temp to about 30 degrees and pulled them off only a 5 cm bit out of all 4 had to be peeled off after!

tasty_kebab

Jun 6, 2006
Glasgow
With regard to heating the side-strips, do you reckon pouring some warm water over it would do they trick? Remember doing that for debadging and it was easy peezy.

gazjones

they have locating lugs so there will be holes unerneath them

Ibiza02

Oct 7, 2006
North East
a bought some new ones for my car just havnt got round to painting the new ones and taking old ones off they cost about £17 for all four i think and got some paint from work to do them in:)

Cupra_Jay

Orange Wheels FTW!!
Oct 25, 2006
Pub!!
has anyone had the stripes colour coded by seat?? if so how much did it cost as i am wanting to get mine done. how long did it take them to do? a day?

i take it when you get it done you have to buy new stripes when this is done?

tommmineh

1.2 POWER
Feb 28, 2005
Sheffield/Rotherham
has anyone had the stripes colour coded by seat?? if so how much did it cost as i am wanting to get mine done. how long did it take them to do? a day?

i take it when you get it done you have to buy new stripes when this is done?

Yeah get it done by Seat if ya like bein had with ya pants down :blink:

Buy new 1s and take em to a body shop to rub down and paint.

EDIT- removed part#s

Last edited:

Chrome

they have locating lugs so there will be holes unerneath them

You mean holes in the door panel, in the metal? :confused: So, if I want to take them off I must have the holes welded and the door painted? Damn, I wish there were no holes in the doors! :cry:

wazb

Mar 29, 2008
Berks
Originally Posted by justlivyalife
6L3853536B 9B9
6L3853535B B41
6L3853515B 9B9
6L3853516B 9B9

These are the numbers gazjones posted for the side-strips.

I thought there was only two parts os bith sides were the same?, abit of the moulding has chipped on the rear of the right hand side, any one know the part number for this?

ChristianFR

what the best way of getting the glue off after removing them?

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
As said before, Hairdryer, bit of brute force, and some balls..

And yes, there is several small holes left behind where the locator pegs fit, always best to by some more :)

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
You should be able to get it started with the edge of your finger, that's how i did it, took a bit of patience and strength (neither of which I have) :p