how to get oil coating out of cooling system on 1.9d

sssstew

Editing your spelling
Just got a 93 Golf 1.9d.

Any clues how to get a previous owners light coating of oil out of the cooling system? is there some strong flushing stuff you can get?

Aparently the oil cooler for the engine is leaking oil into the system so they have bypassed it, but im going to refit a new one but want to clear out the cooling system properly.

Tom B

Apr 2, 2002
Northampton
The issue here is finding something that doesn't wreck akk the seals in the cooling system.

If it was me, I'd give it 2 coolant changes. Whack some cheap yet safe coolant in for a week, then flush it out for good stuff. As the coolant gets warmer, it'll start to lift the grease off anyway.

Jun 28, 2001
we always use 1/4 box of persil/washing powder run it up till hot then drain fill with fresh water drain then fill with G12

Jun 28, 2001
nah never don any car any harm with persil as it contains silicone. have used it over 100 times before always o.k.

Jun 28, 2001
spoon in 1/4 box into header tank then fill with water run up till hot let it cool down a bit the n drain run with frsh water then drain then fill with g12.
Remember cooling sysvingtems are hot and dangerous let it cool down before remo expansion bottle cap

ballthebuilder

Jul 19, 2009
Persil

Hi......Just stumbled across this old post. I've got to replace the oil cooler on my Leon FR, so will need to flush the cooling system out. Can you tell me which type of Persil washing powder to use, is it bio, non bio or another type?

Cheers Dave

towcester vag

Oct 17, 2011
duston northants
i use aerial actiilft clothes wash liquid sachets
designed for washing machines so ok on rubber hoses etc and dont foam as much as persil etc
use about 3 per flush do 2-3 flushes then clear with fresh water
add coolant

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.