Another speaker thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
this looks fairly easy i was going to pay to get this done but i think i will do it myself, going tio re-read this thread and order the parts, so i need speakers, leads, mk4 surround and some time

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
The speaker leads come with the mk4 spacers, so no need to buy extra. I found my local motorworld to be the cheapest place to buy these from, at £12.99 per set (you get 2 spacers and 2 wiring adapters in each).

Just modded my spacers slightly to fit the 653.7i's - looks as though I'll get them in after all!!!

If you want hassle-free sound from infinitys I'd advise not to buy the 653.7i's, get the 652's instead - the tweeter area doesn't stick out as much.

Modding the mk4 speaker spacers is MUCH easier than you'd think, so don't be put off (as I was). All you need is a small hacksaw, a bench, and about 15 mins, if that.

Fingers-crossed I'll be able to report back on Sunday with good news, and my on-going speaker fiasco will be finished at last!!!!

Last edited:

Tell

Staff member
Modding the mk4 speaker spacers is MUCH easier than you'd think, so don't be put off (as I was). All you need is a small hacksaw, a bench, and about 15 mins, if that.

or get your brother to do it as I did :D .... just cut this bit off whilst I warm up the soldering iron. Brother used a stool not a bench.....

I threw the crossover inside the door where it's happy to be as far as the Altea is concerned, it doesn't rattle, isn't effected by water in side the skin of the car. I'm assuming these ones also have a crossover box which isn't mounted on the speakers.

Also like any speakers they need wearing in, the sound gets better once used.

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
...isn't effected by water in side the skin of the car. I'm assuming these ones also have a crossover box which isn't mounted on the speakers.

I found some water on the back of the standard fit speakers in the front so I think i'm going to attach the crossovers to the skin of the door rather than let them drop to the bottom.

Tell

Staff member
I just tossed mine inside the door, but I can see that if you lifted them up off the bottom of the door then you would know that they aren't sitting in water. When you open the Altea door you see water drop down from the drainage holes, well I assume that is where it's coming from. Haven't got down on my knees and looked. Saying that the crossover boxes don't seem to be effected by laying on the floor of the door.

Stuart83

Jan 2, 2007
Tamworth, Midlands
All done at last!!! Trimmed down all of the spacers by chopping a few cms off, still leaving enough clearance in front and behind the speakers.

I've only had a quick play, but I must admit, they sound VERY nice. No more vague flat sound, and no more distortion beyond vol level 10.

johnfbr

Fxing speaker adaptor query

Excellent thread both in here and altea.

I have purchased and cut the flange off the SAK 3103 spacer. I am waiting for new speakers to be delivered - got the infinity 652.5i.

I did not get any long screws with the autoleads kit - should it have come with some or can I use the long screws already holding speaker to be replaced in car. have not go round to removing these yet. TIA

simon34

smoooooooth
May 2, 2006
northampton
Excellent thread both in here and altea.

I have purchased and cut the flange off the SAK 3103 spacer. I am waiting for new speakers to be delivered - got the infinity 652.5i.

I did not get any long screws with the autoleads kit - should it have come with some or can I use the long screws already holding speaker to be replaced in car. have not go round to removing these yet. TIA
I used the origional screws to hold the adapters in and then the speakers screw into the adapters

Tell

Staff member
It sounds about right... from memory I used all the black screws that came with the speaker adapter kit, whether they were long or not [for the Altea]. But if Simon used the existing ones it will be fine. I know I ended up with a choice of screws between what I'd taken out and what came with the adapter kit and went with all the new ones.

Slightly amusing what the makers of the adapter kit think the demand is for the Golf IV kit is... all those people changing their speakers they will be thinking, head scratching, may be one day they will make an adapter kit for the Altea / Leon.

johnfbr

Now received infinity speakers and being very thick in understanding how to connect speakers to autoleads element. Understand that you connect woofer and tweeter lead from crossover box to speaker.

Assume that you connect autoleads red/black leads to the amplifier positive & negative connection leads using plastic junction box to provide power ? Then snip lead to tweeter. TIA

Tell

Staff member
Have you found my original notes on the Altea site ?. It's all covered there.

The existing speaker has a plug which clips into it, that pulls out and that's what plugs into the speaker adaptor kits. It's the speaker adaptor kit wires that you cut to silence the tweeter, basically they are on a loop through so that loop is broken. I do say what colour those are in my notes. There is no other crossover between the existing speakers and the new ones so that's fine. You put on the crossover in with the new speakers. That's a technical note but it would have been a bummer if the existing tweeters were not on a loop since that would have meant that the output which you are connecting too would have had it's frequencies capped, they aren't.

So you connect up all the wires in the house to the adaptor kit, solder or crimp or whatever the wires onto the speakers, observing polarity [important note, you can reverse connect them as long as they all are]. I threw the crossover box inside the door skin where it's happy to be, doesn't rattle or anything, so it's out of the way, then having sliced the bit of the adaptor kit bolt it all together. As I recall there is a rubber seal which you slide out which holds the wires, least in the Altea and the adaptor kits wires are slip back under that, the rubber seal is put back into place on top of it. You have to do that to get the wires into the right place. Bolt it all in.

Do find my notes, a link will be given above for sure, they run off here, second post down, second page Loadswine pictures when he did it himself. He put his crossover in the door bin, I put mine inside the skin of the car, so you still have to slide out the rubber bung. Looking at the picture he didn't put his bung back in.... tut tut. My bung goes back onto of the speaker wires.

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76991

Clear is mud.... perhaps ....

LeonDK

Aug 10, 2004
Malmö
Upgrade OEM Radio with amplifiers!!

@ ALL.

Blaupunkt is about to introduce a new line of Digfital amplifiers with optional cables for Plug & Play installation in the OEM radios.

They can be used with the std. speakers, or with upgraded systems.

More info can be found at the Blaupunkt site under: THa 475 PnP

I have ordered one for my car and will try ASAP I can get my hands on one.

LeonDK

Tell

Staff member
The only way that would work is if you have a facia that's distinct from the headend, which is all that is about looking at the picture and text. This could snooker people taking out existing headends and using the slot, if all you have on the dash are built in knobs and buttons. Handy for sports cars and the like.

If it's some how suppose to fit into with existing OEMs like in the Seat then your existing headend does nothing apart from filling the slot and providing the knobs, if it is as you say. Some how I doubt it.

Passing comment.

johnfbr

Installed infinitys yesterday and much improved over original fit - only problem I had was getting plug out of original speaker - - my poor technique I think. Thanks to all for posting instructions and tips.

k4ith

Goodson!
Sep 3, 2006
West Lothian
ordered my Ifinity's courtesy of a bloke on ebay £48 bnib, purchased autoleads adaptors also, should be here in a few days, whats the polarity thing i need to watch is it fairly straight forward?.

Tell

Staff member
Well it's just that the coloured wires all have to be connected up the same on each speaker, you can't connect positive to negative and if you do, then the sound is degraded since one speaker is pushing the cone out, whilst the other's pulling it in. Standard sterio sound stuff, so you just double check that you don't cross over the wires ie. polarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.