Another speaker thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeonDK

Aug 10, 2004
Malmö
@ Tell.

Why so upset??? I dosent want to argue if the solution is neat or not, but the Blaupunkt adaptor fits without cutting - thats it...

loadswine

loadswine
I don't think Tell was upset. He was just pointing out the simplicity of the original option, plus Blaupunkt stuff might be a bit dearer and doesn't come with the wiring adaptors that the other kit does.
Either way its always good to have another option and nobody will be upset about that, except maybe Seat , who put rubbish speakers in there in the first place.

agplant

Dec 10, 2006
Anyone know best way to stop the speaker grills from vibrating after putting decent speakers in? ...and not by just turning the bass down! lol

Tell

Staff member
I would be interested in seeing a picture of the Blaupunkt adaptor kit if such a part exists since my Googling abilities are second to none :)... no doubt it comes with wet water protectors ;).

Where was the thread on the existing speakers being better covered, since Phillips speakers are paper they would need it else you's get paper mash. The Infinity speaker are designed for for the US market I reckon where cars probably leak like sives so I'm not worried that the plastic diaphram won't handle it. After two years I've had no problems with the Infinity ones.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
Bought these speakers and adaptors so i'll let you know how it goea this weekend :D

Tell

Staff member
The original thread that started all of this off was this one for Altea owners was this one, then Leon owners started to do the same:

http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53080

The adapter kit that you hack the edge off, that's the Golf IV is actual for 16.5 cm speakers, SAK-3103, leads are included with this. I see they now have SAK-3108 for Golf 5 [no leads] don't know about whether you have to hack the lip off this or not, again 16.5 cm.

http://www.nexxia.co.uk/Speaker_adaptors/volkswagen.htm

When the question of whether 16.5 cm came up latter I said the .5 cm wouldn't make much difference. Basically you can fit the Infinity Kappa 652.7i which seem to be rated as 16.5 / 17 cm with the adaptor kit since that's what everybody else has been doing in the last year. Now there is a bigger speaker in the Infinity range and you have to look back in this thread as I recall where some more hacking has to be done if you fit that on the Leon since the front grill won't go back on.

So basically there are a lot of Altea and Leon's going around with the Infinity Kappa 652.7i and SAK-3103 edge hacked off to fit since it's a proven solution :). Details and pics on original thead.

Tell

Staff member
Well they would not be the corect ones if they were not the ones you bought, but if you are pleased with Infinity speakers then they are the cortrect ones to fit... so they are the correct ones :). Those are the ones that people have been fitting.

Afraid I started the Inifinity thing off in 2005 when I gave out the details of how to fit with the said adaptor and they aren't bad speaker since you got the adjustable hot spot tweater build in, external crossover box and the patented base extension bit or patent applied which means that the speaker diafram has a ripply bit in it so you get more material to push air.

Go for it :).

markfranklin

Mar 24, 2007
On those Infinity Kappa/Reference speakers, it looks like you get a twisty knob/button on the front of them - does this have any purpose?

Tell

Staff member
Yes that's to adjust for your sweet spot ... as they call it.

Basically the speaker is, is a mid range under neither with a separate tweeter bolted on top of it, the direction of the tweeter is what you turn, so that knob is the tweeter. Your sweet spot is the point between your ears. To adjust the tweeter you can just adjust them so you can visually see them rather than twiddle with the knob using hearing, it's quicker, and does the same.

LeonDK

Aug 10, 2004
Malmö

Tell

Staff member
I have no shares in autoleads but then nobody to my knowledge has fitted the ones that you plugged several times on here, well I think one person did and their speakers got wet which to me is relayed to the construction since it's two part as I recall. So the proof may be in the pudding. Even if they are £3 - that's the English way of typing £ on 3£s ;).... I doubt they are available in the UK and you still have to buy the leads which are free with the GolfIV kit. I'm surprised you aren't moaning at me for suggesting Infinity speakers.... goes off holding head about men, internet and the sizes of their members and then they normally say that size doesn't count.... well obviously they have dicky ones :).

LeonDK

Aug 10, 2004
Malmö
this is funny...

why should i nag about you choosing infinity speakers??? I was once working for the company...

What I do wonder about, is why you all put in a 2 way speaker when you have tweeters in the top of the doors.

If you want to improve sound, then why not use a woofer in the doors, and consider to use the tweeters in the a pillars.

This is not a bad system for such a solution: http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/...OS&ser=KAP&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

I did not try to install the Blaupunkt rings yet, but due to your comments I will.

For now I use the alu rings from exact audio (http://www.exactaudio.de/html/zubehoer/prod_mr180.php with a Peerless HDS woofer and a Scan-speak tweeter

I only had to modify a bit on the door, as it was less work than modifying the rings...

For sure this is a solution far below your high end solution, but I'm quite happy with it...

Pictures of a similar installation can be found here: http://www.carhifi-store-buende.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=39
terrible, I know...

So if you are finished talking about the size of your ..., then get into doing some real car hifi or allow me to tell about other solutions than the ones you have found...

to all others, pardon for my poor English...

Tell

Staff member
a. because the tweeters in the door are crap and it costs £200 per door or something like that to get at them out

b. they are placed in the wrong position which is partly why the sound is crap since you get a mishmash of sound coming from the rears at ear level as well as the front

c. the is no crossover in the tweeters so you'd have to replace them in any case if you like them at that position and get proper ones with crossovers, with the cost of taking the door apart unless you are an expert at taking the door apart yourself [that's the Altea cost above]

So best to disconnect them and be done with it, which is what the Altea folks did years ago, for the last two years. Obviously you can hand over a mint to someone but part of the enjoyment is doing it yourself.

The disconnection of the tweaters, the speaker mountain etc was something that was worked up as a solution. The other thing is that people want to move the speakers with them as they change cars hence they have no desire to get into heavy work and costs, they have a rep car, want to hand it back as they got it and take the speakers with them, that has come up a lot as well, least in the Altea area.

This thread was spawned since New Leon owners took the Altea solution that I posted up in mid 2005 and started using it themselves on Leons, I didn't tell them too, I just got told by one of the Altea owners when someone bought the wrong speakers and they got poked in the eye when they tried to be help over here and said take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.