Removing Speakers "HELP!"

Rattic

May 29, 2007
Runcorn, UK
www.rattic.co.uk
OK. So I had the bright idea of changing the speakers over. Did a fair bit of research on here and at Club Lupo. Drilled out the rivets which I thought was going to be the hard bit, particularly since I've never used a drill in my life :redface:. But now im concerned about hammering the remaining metal 'posts' incase I damage the door? Do I hammer them in towards the door? lol.

dlh-0011.jpg

But more importantly. When I removed the old speaker there was water on it and I have a river inside the door. I'm guessing the speaker isn't supposed to get wet?

dlh-0008.jpg

Any help would be appreciated.

I do apologise for being a DIY disaster in the making. I'm TRYING to teach myself, lol

Cheers
Day

1litre wonder

(s)Low rider
Jul 6, 2006
Glasgow
first off , good on ya for trying it yourself , first off , im more worried at water in the door ... thats not a good sign .

anyway about the "posts" they will more than likely look like a mushroom on the inside of the pannel ( if you have a look they will more than likely they will of been flattend out on the other side of the pannel ) . due to that AND theres a metal lip on the other side of the bit of rivet , i would say slowly and i mean slowly as you can completely drill them out as in even though the speaker is out , use the drill bit turning to machine out the whole of the rivet untill your through the pannel . if you hammer it your running the risk of denting the pannel , if you drill it , worst case is the hole is a little larger than planed but you can use a wider screw . anyway im sure somebody who has removed the speakers before will be along to advise you best mate

Craig

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I did the same. Drilled the existing rivets out then cocked it all up and got someone else to do it for me. How on earth did you manage to get the speaker covers off without snapping them ? :confused:

Rattic

May 29, 2007
Runcorn, UK
www.rattic.co.uk
I've got one cover off without snapping it, lol. The other is yet to come! Think I'm goin to try n get hold of one of those dremel multi tools n see if I can cut most of the post off n hopefully it 'might' fall out :s Speaking to a guy at work who has done some similar stuff n he said doors are prone to gaining water. The holes in the bottom of the door are apparently for drainage he thinks. Am going to try and cover the back up with some kind of plastic container if I can.

haha. If it does go all wrong though, I too shall be getting someone else to do it for me!

lunalupi

...is not a bloke!
Jul 29, 2006
Wiltshire
The doors are prone to getting water in them, and you're right - thats exactly why they have drainage holes.

It might be worth putting some sound deadening/plastic sheet behind the new speakers when they go in to keep them dry :)

Rattic

May 29, 2007
Runcorn, UK
www.rattic.co.uk
yay! I did it!

I installed my speakers! Right, from what I've gathered the Arosa speaker size is 6" however the majority of replacement speakers will need the above mentioned bracket (model no. SAK-3106) to move the magnet away from the wound down window. This puts the speakers size up to 6 1/2". I also purchased these connection adapters to save cutting the original Seat adapter up, should I have needed to revert back to the old speakers.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=170135529798&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=007

I'm hoping the speakers will be alright without any cover behind them from the water, since the old speakers seem to have managed fine without any protection for 5 years.

After drilling the rivets, I wanted to remove the posts with a dremel multi-tool but was too impatient to buy one so just pinched them off with a pair of pliers (the metal was surprisingly soft), then just hit the remaining stump out with a punch n hammer.

And voila....I'm quite proud of myself. Nothing too fancy, but good for a start!

dlh-0019.jpg

Rattic

May 29, 2007
Runcorn, UK
www.rattic.co.uk
I got them from Ebay, but would NOT recommend the seller as I ordered them on the 15th of July and they arrived about 2 days ago (Avoid KSH Audio)!

The seller who I got the adapter LEADS from was very good and quick.

I've just been for a drive in the rain and the speakers are still workin. Time will tell.

Boo

The original wee beastie
Nov 12, 2006
Eastbourne
I ordered some stuff from ebay and it took a while to get through because of the postal strikes :shrug:

Rattic

May 29, 2007
Runcorn, UK
www.rattic.co.uk
I think I ordered them about a week before the postal strike. I also still managed to order parts after I ordered the brackets and after the postal strike started, and they still arrived before the brackets. Might have just been bad luck. I ordered them from: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=320131220888&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

I supposed them turning up late is better than them not turning up at all.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.