daft question (HIDs)

Mat

I must be the king of asking stupid questions. But i like to know stuff, and be 100% before following through with anything

HID kits, do they only replace the main beam? I'm guessing the answer is yes, but it's always best to ask :D

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
you can get it to replace both, but it costs twice as much
normally you would buy only for dipped

Mat

thats what i thought.

cheers for clearing up such a stoopied question :D

I heard there's no need for full beam when you convert to HID. As for sidelights, go for these...

SS850753.jpg

White LED's, 5 white LEDs surrounding 1 blue LED. Gives a very similar tint to HID, will match in well.

Mat

they look smart. would they pass MOT??? where you get them from?

also, wheres best place for HIDs? and what should you be looking at paying???

I looked last year (before joing here) and was like £250+ but i'm sure i've seen on here sub £100 mark

Mat

i'm guessing they're easy enough to fit. I like to think i'm ok with car electronics

Mat

even though its in Dollars, can i just go ahead and buy "normally" as i would with a UK seller?

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
Yes you can Paypal will convert it to UK pounds when it goes on your card.

I also bought from that seller and got them for £39 (bought mine is aussie dollars though), have been using them for around 2 weeks, good quality etc and 6 day delivery.

Also have those very sidelight bulbs, match very well with the hids.

On your main beam question, I rarely use mains now as hids are so good, and the mains don't really light anymore of the road.

Last edited:

Black TDI Turbo

Shussssh Its A Diesel ...
Oct 2, 2005
North East
Yup same kit as mine from the same supplier great quality and product, they are illegal because xenon/his headlight should be self leveling and should have headlight washers as this effects the beam pattern, but should pass an m.o.t, however blue sidelight bulbs will probs fail as your not allowed to show any blue light at the front of the vehicle.

ganda_cupra

VW Commercial Technician
Sep 4, 2006
Near Sheffield
As i understand it the self levellers and washers are only legal requirements on new vehicles to meet regulations, there is no mention of retrofit kits. At the end of the day the bulbs only draw 35w as opposed to 55w of standard bulbs, and its not illegal to have lower powered (w) bulbs.

The sidelight bulbs are white leds shine a similar colour to the 6k hids.

Last edited:

Mat

the side lights are more legal than the ones i used to have up until MOT (aug), they were red :D

just ordered some number plate bulbs (having just bought some standard ones from Halfrauds). I ordered the ones mentioned in General Chat.

So soon I should be able to see better. Recently I feel like my headlights aren't on, and keep flicking them to sidelight and back on just to check :D Coupld possibly having something to do with the fact that the car needs cleaning (although, surely de-icer on the headlights every morning hould have cleaned some **** off)

Anyway, Pics when i get HIDs

Mat

HIDs arrived. Great packaging! If I was a stamp collecter I'd be in heaven by now, must be 40+ stamps lol

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise