Car start

chrislocalboy

Oct 25, 2022
So... Stay with me as this might sound an incredibly daft question to ask. But I've 100% read somewhere (think it was a post here but could be the Cupra MK4 Facebook group) that a dealership told an owner that the hybrid version won't start if the batteries run totally flat (not the 12v, the actually hybrid batteries)

This can't be correct surely?

Only reason I ask is that going on holiday in a few weeks and the owner has specifically stated when booked you are not allowed to charge cars at the cottage (via the home adaptor cable).. which is ridiculous if you ask me but with the price of electricity I sort of get it.

Anyway I'm just looking for confirmation.

jcbmally

Started with nowt and still have most of it left.
Staff member
Dec 26, 2013
Cybertron
Never heard of that before, can’t be right, when a hybrid car runs out of leccie it just runs on the ICE.

Rullandetunna

Sep 9, 2022
It might be like the volvo hybrid, my parents had a volvo xc60 t8 before. and the battery died. and the could not charge it up because the cell died in the battery, and the car went in to "limp" mode or something like that. so maybe thats what he meant. If the Cupra high voltage system dies, you cant use only gasoline?

Copar

Mar 14, 2023
I’m pretty sure hybrids don’t have a 12v starter motor for the ICE. Lithium hybrid batteries aren’t allowed by the control system to in reality fully discharge either, as that kills them. I think the not-starting scenario is very unlikely for a nearly new car.

andylong

Jan 21, 2021
Hybrids use the hybrid battery to start the car, the 12v auxiliary is used to run the 12v systems in the car.
If the hybrid battery were truly flat then sure it would not start the car.
But ev batteries of all sorts only use part of thier capacity so are never empty, or full for that matter to make the battery last longer.
Around 80% of the capacity gets used, you will have a good 10% left when it's empty, which is lots of starts.

Reactions: oldgitdave

Richiepoos

Oct 14, 2022
There's currently a thread about a Formentor Hybrid being dead and 12v not charging (Sorry, no idea how to post a link to it!). I'm also pretty sure that the demonstrator I was supposed to test drive had died and couldn't be started.

Chrismalkinuk

Nov 17, 2015
Stoke on Trent
There's currently a thread about a Formentor Hybrid being dead and 12v not charging (Sorry, no idea how to post a link to it!). I'm also pretty sure that the demonstrator I was supposed to test drive had died and couldn't be started.

My Cupra hybrid did exactly the same. Cupra Assistance had to come and “jump” me and took me straight to the dealer who kept my car for a week and put me in an enterprise rent a car (VW Arteon shooting brake)

I drove to work and got to work with 4% hybrid battery left. The 12v wasn’t charging (hadn’t been for weeks and Seat/Cupra fobbed me off)
02f0b0172690efbc8571f9181de9f23d.jpg

I had a video of me trying to start the car but getting 1minute 10 seconds of errors popping on the screens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise