LCR 249 Bypass

cuprajim

Apr 26, 2006
Cupraland
Right, I have read and researched and now, as the cows have just arrived home, I need clarity.

Looking through the 'how-to's' and the gallerys, the only information and pictures available to bypass an N249 valve is for Ibizas or 180 Leons.

Is there anything that I need to be aware of for an LCR? The bypass unit pipework looks considerably different to the pictures on SCN. Has anyone completed this mod on an LCR sucessfully and noted any difference in partial throttle performance?

Also, has anyone got any pictures of the mod on an LCR?

As I can determine the following would be suitable:

1. Remove DV signal pipe and block.
2. Cut a T-Piece into FPR line (a'la Boost Gauge)
3. Run a new piece of 4mm hose from T-Piece to the DV.

Job done???

cuprajim

Apr 26, 2006
Cupraland
I cannot believe for one minute that no one has tried this on an LCR?!

Anyone out there with some finite guidance?

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
i had it done on mine and it did make a difference to throttle response. i took it off after a session on some dodgy rollers where the operator didn't know his arse from his elbow. i'll be putting it back on when i remember where i put it. send a PT to alex (TTS roadsport) or post in their section of the forum to ask whats involved.

karlosR

TORQUEY, NOISEY V6
Mar 10, 2006
BEDFORD
at the TTS/backdraft open day on saturday there was a BT TT that had everything removed and was running a manual boost controller in place of the N75 valve. it looked a lot tidier on top of the engine with everything gone.

cuprajim

Apr 26, 2006
Cupraland
Right, done this last night.

The definitive guide to LCR N249 Bypass.

Piece of p*ss really. 10 mins max. A bit Heath Robinson but will be tidied up when I can be bothered.

1. Remove Engine Cover
2. Remove hose from the top of the DV to the N249 valve completely
3. Cut a small piece of 5mm ID hose (approx 3" long), stuff a 5mm bolt in the end and cable tie it.
4. Attach the blocked piece of hose to the outlet of the N249 valve (where you removed the DV hose from) and cable tie or jubilee clip in place.
5. Cut a new length of 5mm ID hose to go from the top of the DV to the Fuel Pressure Regulator hose.
6. Attach one end of the hose to the top of the DV and the other end needs to be cut in to the Fuel Pressure Regulator hose (a'la Boost Gauge) with a T-Piece.
7. Crack open 3rd celebratory beer.
8. and another, hic!

Materials and Tools required:

Beer
Flat Blade Driver to remove engine cover and to prise off hoses and tighten jubilee clips
Sharp cutters or Stanley Knife to cut pipe and dress cable ties

Length of 5mm ID hose (Halfrauds)
T-Piece (Halfrauds)
5mm bolt (Floor of Garage)
Cable ties and jubilee clips as required.

No difference in power; however a lot smoother in mid throttle delivery and part throttle lift off.

CAVEAT: There is a downside to all this 'DIY', Darth Vader under the bonnet is now LOUDER, much to my dismay. How a closed loop dump valve can be so bl**dy loud is beyond me. The car sounds more akin to a CVH powered Southend Chariot.

AIII, booyakka.

:)

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
i'll be totally honest and say i have no idea what the N249 is lol.

Any pics? ( i've seen the other threads too, but no LCR pics ).

On the airbox to turbo inlet pipe i have a bailey recirc' dump valve, and a standard looking valve ( is this the N249? )

cuprajim

Apr 26, 2006
Cupraland
No the N249 is below the engine cover just above and between Cyl 3 and 4 coilpacks. It is a square Valve with a network of pipes, a Non-return valve and a Vacuum Reservoir.

I will try and take some pics tonight if I can make it past my beer fridge. Damn that beer fridge!!

andycupra

status subject to change
so i presume the original vac reservoir is there to aid the operation of the DV?
removal of which would in theory slightly increase the possibility of issues with a non operating DV? which may or maynot be offset by having a better DC fitted?

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
so i presume the original vac reservoir is there to aid the operation of the DV?
removal of which would in theory slightly increase the possibility of issues with a non operating DV? which may or maynot be offset by having a better DC fitted?

- or the vac reservoir is there to be used by the ECU to control the DV when there isn't vacuum............ / when it wants the DV to open........

cuprajim

Apr 26, 2006
Cupraland
For reference, pre- Fly-by-Wire Throttle days, all DVs took their signal from the vacuum direct from the inlet manifold.

i.e. when there was pressure against the throttle body, it was dumped by the action of a closed TB creating the vacuum in the manifold.

The N249 allows a vacuum to be available regardless of TB position and relies on the ECU to judge when the DV should be opened. This can be problematic on mapped cars running higher boost as part throttle actions can appear jerky as the boost is dumped earlier than a fully closed TB.

By bypassing it and relying on the inlet manifold vacuum to Dump Boost, 'seems to' eliminate the jerky part throttle feel (in my recent experience). I can't think of any dangers this will cause to the engine apart from if you get Boost Spikes (Overboosting) where the N249 would be able to regulate this regardless of TB position.

I am fairly new to all this, so my understanding could be slightly wrong here, I am free to be criticised on any innaccuracy.

bud-weis

Jan 27, 2008
i'm fairly sure i've done this correctly...but i now have an engine warning light illuminated! lol

big eck

Aug 11, 2005
Falkirk, Scotland
Sorry to dig this thread up but does anyone have any pics to show where the parts are on how to do this???

Also is there really a danger doin this mod on a remapped car???