Fitting HID's and Sidelights!

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
Hi all,
After reading through all the forum trying to source HID’s and side lights to match, I have finally found a reasonably priced set that work perfect in the seat leon mk2.

The HID4U kit also work, but IMO they are way too expensive and over priced for a set of bulbs! So I searched Ebay and the forums to try and come up with some that work. I found this company http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....category=72235&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:CUST
Who sell both the H7R and the H7 HID kits for the golf mk5 that work with the canbus systems! So far i’ve had these on my car for a week, and havnt had any problems with the auto lights or anything! No flickering or any thing like... and I must say, they are awesome!
Here is a small fitting guide of what i’ve done with mine...........

The lights............
DSCF3296.jpg

You can see the difference here.......

DSCF3300.jpg

And here
DSCF3301.jpg

To fit these you will need a 25mm drill bit, I used a wood one and it was ok, but if your unsure prob best to use a circular bit! These holes need to be made in the cover for the lights as the wires and box need to be mounted externally.
DSCF3302.jpg

Cut the hole...........
DSCF3304.jpg

Then just plug all the cables in from the ballast to the bulbd and your almost there, you need to fit the rubber grommet that comes attached to the HID kit, and then re’fit the cover...

Now you need to mount the ballast where ever you wish, on the drivers side I have used the wheel arch, and on the passengers side, just simply put the ballast in front of the battery, tie wrapped all the cables and job done! 30 mins MAX!

Have a look at the images, and it may become more clear!

DSCF3305.jpg

DSCF3303.jpg

DSCF3306.jpg

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
LED side lights.........
DSCF3309.jpg

Right.. now onto the side lights, again I used the same company to buy the side lights, and the resistor that needs fitting. Basically AGAIN due to the canbus system the LED side lights will not work without the resistor, they come on for 2 seconds then go off, so you need to put a resistor between + and – of the bulb, this basically simulates a bulb, so the car thinks there is one in place, connect the resistor how ever you wish.. I used scotch blocks from maplins, these were a bit of a pain to fit, but got there in the end! If your handy with crimps, i’d probably go for that next time!
I tried to explain here..........
DSCF3311.jpg

I left the resistor on the out side, as it does get warm quick, not tried it for a long period of time, but should be ok where I have left it.... (yes it could be neater, but just wanted to get this worte up.)
And finally the fitted pic
DSCF3312.jpg

I’m sure you will all have questions regarding this matter... but please try the search function before plastering simple questions all over.

Hope some of you benefit from this....

Thanks to cms_sales from Ebay! Great service, and great comms!

Jordan

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
Hi, I contacted an ebay seller, cms_sales after a discount for more than one set (the Mrs has a Golf MKV). He asked if I needed the Golf Adapter - I have no idea, could you enlighten me?

Cheers
Paul

I've no idea mate, just tell him you got the ref from jordan.999 as thats my ebay name, tell him you want the same as me! (well thats if you want yours to fit your leon mk2) I'm sure he will be able to help you out!

Jordan

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
Just to update, I've had no problems with the side lights, or the HID kit!

Now considering a H1 kit, for the main beam!

Jordan

JUS CRU-ZN

BOOST JUNKIE!!
Mar 14, 2008
Please post some pics at night of the bulbs ndiviuallu lit. Should be awesome. Thx for the tut.

jordanogrady

Sep 29, 2008
Please post some pics at night of the bulbs ndiviuallu lit. Should be awesome. Thx for the tut.

Not sure what "ndiviuallu" means mate!

But i'll get some images up soon, although the lights are really bright, will need to play arround with the camera!

Jordan

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
i'm not changing my high beams to hids, due to the fact that hids need a warm up time and if ur using them to flash other drivers out of junctions or blind drivers would can't see u. This will inevitably kill the kit as they don't take very kindly to this sort of action.

also hids on HI-Beams is just a bit OTT imo, normal light will already dazzle someone, so u could in theory kill someone coming torwards u on a twisty country road if u don't turn them off quick enough.

money isn't really an issue. I drive a lot of country roads being in scotland, so that was a deciding factor for not fitting hids on hi-beam

Matt21385

Fantastic write up. As soon as I saw this, I just had to order them. Received them today and fitted them in 30mins. Look amazing. :D

jtr

Feb 22, 2008
I've got an 08 FR which kit would I need H7 or H7R - sorry for being think don't understand the difference.

I've seen a fair few different kits on ebay ranging from about £35 - £40 upwards, all saying they have the digital ballasts etc, anyone know which are the best and are true 'plug and play'?

Also, by fitting a set, would there be any way that warranty issues could come in the future from the dealer?

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members