Engine Temperature issue

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
G'day,

I have a 2003 LCR, and I have noticed that the engine temp is sitting around the 60 mark and hardly lifting off, the journey i do is a bit of town then 25 miles trip on motorway, and it still hasn't risen, when it does lift up in traffic as soon as i start driving at speed it drops back down to 60.

i'm thinking it may be the thermostat, anyone any other ideas, is it due to the cold weather, has been below 5 degrees outside most of the time.

Cheers

Andy

:confused:

andycupra

status subject to change
well thats certainly not right.

I would also guess the thermostat, but id also raise the coolant temp sender as a potential cause as these do fail.

If you can get Vag com on there it may highlight something.

Last edited:

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Ok, thanks guys, will give the coolant tank probes a clean up (they look ok though) if nothing a new themostat.

cheers

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
UPDATE.

Changed the thermostat today, and the car is still running with the dash temp displaying about 60 degrees, when you get it up to about 80, the fans cut in and it drops right back to 60. Not sure what to try next, have ran vag com and got nothing apart from a code "16825 Evaporative Emission Control System - Incorrect Purge Flow A" Havent a clue what it is but it doesn't sound like it is to do with the coolant.

Any help??

LEE69

Stage 2 Revo'd
Dec 10, 2004
C\UK\Devon\Torquay
I wouldn't have said the thermostat as the problem, your explaining is more than likely the sender for the dash gauge.
You probably had to disconnect it to remove the thermostat.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
I wouldn't have said the thermostat as the problem, your explaining is more than likely the sender for the dash gauge.
You probably had to disconnect it to remove the thermostat.

Hi there,

The only thing apart from the thermostat that i had to disconnect is the exhaust gas temperature sender.

Do you mean the black/green sensor that fits into one of the pipes, if so i replaced that a couple of months ago for the green (newer) version, that was for a different reason.

It seems to me that there is a controller somewhere for the engine temperature that might be knackered and keeping the engine too cool, if that makes any sense.

Also the MPG is down from about 35 to 29 MPG but i suppose that is due to it running cold all the time.

Cheers

Andy

sebasti0n

Nov 6, 2006
I had the same problem with mine.... Dealer has checked it out & says the engine is running fine, and no fault coming from the sender or the thermostat...

Mind you it only does this when its really cold - when the ambient temp is 7 or more then the gauge runs normall at sits at 90. so ok during the summer months...

Not sure what to do next !!!!

Last edited:

traumapat

Leon Cupra IHI
Jul 24, 2005
sunny sussex
apparently theres a gauge sender in the thermostat housing?

both the leon and our passat have the same issue. on a good day they hit 90 but often needle sits under. nothings ever shown on vagcom.

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Another update.

Okay, after posting last night i went back out and i swapped over my temperature sensor from my green one to the old black one (which had an intermittent fault, thats why it was replaced in the first place) and the gauge is now running as it should getting up top 90 and staying there.

So it looks like my new sensor in buggered, only replaced it in October. also the car wasn't running any fault codes apart from the one i mentioned before but i don't think that is related, on that note does anyone have any info on it.

Going to do some more tinkering today just to double check to make sure it is the sensor that is at fault.

antsdd

where abouts is the temp sender mine goes up and down and if i go on a long run the engine light comes on i need to try change it but not sure where the sender unit is cheers ants

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Hi there,

the temp sensor is on the left hand side of the engine on the coolant hose running from the top of the radiator. It is either green or black. 5 min job to replace, a small amount of coolant will come out when you remove it but nothing major.

Andy

(Will post a picture if you need it)

adm013
[/URL][/IMG]

adm013
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
Actually, just to confuse things even more....isn't there two sensors for the coolant, one in the bottle and one in the coolant hose??

Sorry antsdd, i think the one you are needing is in the bottle, 2 silver prongs. Might be worth giving them a clean before pulling them out, they might just be dirty.

Andy

adm013

Mar 4, 2008
Edinburgh
So the one in the coolant hose is the one for the gauge aswell. Still having problems with my car, all to do with the temp sensor, one should be coming today. Rough when starting and it cut out on me today, revs away up to 2000-2500 rpm then settles down....doesn't matter if it hot or cold.

Andy

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members