My1.4MK3 Sounds like a Diesel

Endi2008

Apr 26, 2009
Bristol
My Seat Ibiza 1.4MK3 Sounds like a Diesel(It ticks alot), I had a new exhaust fitted but ive had it checked by 2 RAC Blokes and a garage and none of them know what it is, Thinking maybe the timer or somthing?

cuprachrissy

put this in the main mk3 section mate or the main ibiza section then you might get some answers. no1 ever really replies on the faq for some reason :shrug:

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
yep mine sounds the same and has always done so! I think the injectors are noisy on these its not the cam followers because as you rev the engine the noise does not get worse.

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Ive always thought it was the tappets... is it not like?

Well the Tappets can go silent when the car is revved if there is an oil pressure problem, however 99% of the time they will make more noise as the valves open and close faster when the revs increase. With injectors the noise tends to be more consistent.

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
Yep mine is the same !!
As well as this you may find the clutch stiff as foook.

Improves your left calf though lol

I have a huge left leg.

Well the Tappets can go silent when the car is revved if there is an oil pressure problem, however 99% of the time they will make more noise as the valves open and close faster when the revs increase. With injectors the noise tends to be more consistent.

I find that the engine does get louder as the revs rise, especially when the engine and oil are cool.

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
I find that the engine does get louder as the revs rise, especially when the engine and oil are cool.

They do piston slap as well when cold, What oil are you using? How many miles? and how often does it get changed? (sorry for all the questions mate)

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
lol no bother, 0w-40 fully synth, probably about 200 miles a week or so and changed every year... should probably change it more really.

tbh mate I have always done mine at 10k or 1 year and use fully syth 5w-40 and when I open the oil cap the insides look spotless! Good on you using fully synth! Our seat main dealer was using magnertec 10w-40 semi-synth:cry: (while it was in warrenty) Just out of interest do you have to top up the oil with yours?

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
tbh mate I have always done mine at 10k or 1 year and use fully syth 5w-40 and when I open the oil cap the insides look spotless! Good on you using fully synth! Our seat main dealer was using magnertec 10w-40 semi-synth:cry: (while it was in warrenty) Just out of interest do you have to top up the oil with yours?

Yeah, ive never ever had a trace of any cream lol. I know, fully synth is the one! The week before last my oil was just a hair below the MIN mark on the dipstick so i put a tiny bit in and thats the first time ive ever had to put any in in a year... so no not really... Do you like?

Endi2008

Apr 26, 2009
Bristol
Thanks

God That was a wuick and v.full response cheers guys must be tappets then because when i rev it dissapears and once i been giving it some for a while seems to die down, if thats a common thing with these cars i dont mind i wander if you can silence it though i like the pur of a smooth running car lol :)

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.