My1.4MK3 Sounds like a Diesel

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
Yeah, ive never ever had a trace of any cream lol. I know, fully synth is the one! The week before last my oil was just a hair below the MIN mark on the dipstick so i put a tiny bit in and thats the first time ive ever had to put any in in a year... so no not really... Do you like?

Thats good mate! I'm using 1 litre between oil changes, I have to admit with the semi-synth it never needed topping up! the emmisons results on the mot were spot on( 0.01% co2, 7ppm hc) so all is healthy.

Jun 26, 2008
Sunderland
God That was a wuick and v.full response cheers guys must be tappets then because when i rev it dissapears and once i been giving it some for a while seems to die down, if thats a common thing with these cars i dont mind i wander if you can silence it though i like the pur of a smooth running car lol :)

Probably not mate, unless you stick loads of sound deadening under the bonnet but that will either not work or you'll not be able to hear the engine at all. Afraid you'll probably have to put up with it!

Thats good mate! I'm using 1 litre between oil changes, I have to admit with the semi-synth it never needed topping up! the emmisons results on the mot were spot on( 0.01% co2, 7ppm hc) so all is healthy.

Sounds good to me. Nah i never really have to put anything in to be honest.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
Yeah our engines are very poor, they always sound like a diesel engine... unless you get an induction kit... but then that just wastes your petrol with no performance gain!

I think it's just because VW were lazy, they bought SEAT, facelifted the Ibiza and then were like "o god all we have is this rubbish 1.4 as an entry level engine, oh well it'll do, and we'll just make sure the one we put in the polo is a 16v and better"

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
Yeah our engines are very poor, they always sound like a diesel engine... unless you get an induction kit... but then that just wastes your petrol with no performance gain!

I think it's just because VW were lazy, they bought SEAT, facelifted the Ibiza and then were like "o god all we have is this rubbish 1.4 as an entry level engine, oh well it'll do, and we'll just make sure the one we put in the polo is a 16v and better"

just feel sorry for the poor 1.0 owners then!

Adam R

Diesel ISN'T a Dirty word
Mar 5, 2007
lee in the solent
well my 1.4 got to 60 in 12 seconds and that was with a 14 stone guy doing the timing sitting in the passanger seat.

so i would guess with a 1.0 it would be around the 50 seconds @ 60-70 mph.

my 1.4 has just had a new engine in it, it sounds abit tappet'y but nothing to worry about,

it actually feels alot quicker and more responsive than it did with the old engine in, my friend who fixed it showed me my old engine the breather was completly blocked with thick black sludge (not good), he also took a couple of restricting pieces off of the airbox and put in some descent HT leads, my friend has a 1,6 zetec s fiesta and he was shocked when he had a go in my 1.4, he said it was not far off being as quik as his car wich suprised me,

but it made me think, maybe theese 1.4's arent actually that slow to start off with, they just slowly get clogged up and slow down , maybe wen they were new they were quicker

just a thought

lemonslap

In The Know
Mar 14, 2009
Kent
my 1.4 has just had a new engine in it, it sounds abit tappet'y but nothing to worry about,

it actually feels alot quicker and more responsive than it did with the old engine in, my friend who fixed it showed me my old engine the breather was completly blocked with thick black sludge (not good), he also took a couple of restricting pieces off of the airbox and put in some descent HT leads, my friend has a 1,6 zetec s fiesta and he was shocked when he had a go in my 1.4, he said it was not far off being as quik as his car wich suprised me,

but it made me think, maybe theese 1.4's arent actually that slow to start off with, they just slowly get clogged up and slow down , maybe wen they were new they were quicker

just a thought

I'm sorry my friend but your mates zetec s must be knackered they do 0-60 in 10 sec where the ibiza 1.4 takes 16 sec, a big difference on the road, I do agree that if the maintenance is not done correctly then the performance will suffer but these 1.4 8v will go on ages if looked after properly.

Gordz

Caught The Mod Bug Again!
May 31, 2007
North East
I think you're on to something about the age/mileage of the car effecting performance. I had a 2001 Ibiza with 88k on the clock, and my brother has a 2001 Ibiza with 33k on the clock. Start them both up, mine starts and sounds like a diesel until it's warmed up a bit. And my brothers sounds sweet as a nut, perfect from the word go with no diesel like sounds. Also drives much smoother than mine did too. And before you all go "maybe there was something wrong with yours?"... there wasn't! lol.

It's either down to maintenance of the engine... or it's just a lucky dip to whether you get a 1.4 ibiza that sounds like a diesel or a petrol!

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.