air feed

Gudgie

Morning all,
quick question. at the weekend took delivery of my forge 007p and my green panel filter:p. everything is fitted and working fine.
I've done a search and the only guides i can see to modding the airbox are for the LCR. Are the priciples essentially the same if i was to mod ie smooth the airbox on the LC as i know that the 2 differ.
Also was wondering about fitting a cold air feed. Is there any need to install anything that resembles tumble dryer hose like i've seen on a couple of guides or would anything around the 80mm mark suffice? Where would be the best place to source the feed from? will it make a noticeable difference to performance, the sound of turbo spool etc etc? any pros and cons greatly welcomed!

Cheers in advance!

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
this is what im thinking of doing. i have already smoothed and drilled the air box and that makes a difference in sound. just use pliers to brake the bits of plastic off. can then smooth it off with a sander if you like but i didnt bother. as for the cold air feed i cant seem to find a way from the air box down to near the fog light. thats where i was hoping of mounting mine.

Gudgie

Yeah. By the looks of things you can follow the initial route taken by the standard feed when this is removed but if your replacement tubing is too wide you will end up with a botttle neck as you try to go round the battery cover which would kind of defeat the purpose.
When drilling the airbox do you need to make it look like swiss cheese or would that just be overkill?

jordyboy004

Leon Cupra 1.8t 20v
Apr 4, 2008
Isle Of Wight
but that only leads you to the front grill dont it. tbh i havent had a proper look. i might need to strip some stuff out and see what im left with. as for holes, iv seen boxs coverd in them. all on the bottom and the sides. best to drill your holes as far from the engine as poss. you want as least hot air as poss. i have about 20 8mm holes in the bottom and that works fine for me. i have some black flexi metal tubing. that cardboard stuff with a metal coating not sure of its proper name. its 2.5" if i remember rightly some people on here have been using 3"

Gudgie

Thanks for the info on drilling. Where did you source your tubing from?
this now poses a question. What is the most direct route for the feed to take without causing any bottlenecks and kinks?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
I done mine few weeks ago and used 80mm hose, fits nicely along side inner wing, didnt drill any holes as it kind of defeats the object of a closed box and makes it sound like a chav corsa on steriods :lol:

The tumble dryer hose is 100mm and will not fit.....its also white and not really in keeping with rest of the engine bay.

Gudgie

Cheers Adam. Where did you get your 80mm hose from and where did you route it to? Was it to the front grill or down to the wheel arch like i have seen on some other threads?

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Its straight from the box to the front panel excatly the same as the stock pipe but much bigger.

You'll obviously need to make hole in box quite a bit bigger, If you use 80mm you don't have to put the plate in the box either as you can make it slightly oval so it fits perfectly.

I used this, good price there about £30 in Wilco

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200323987762

I've just seen its 76mm so I used 76 and not 80 like I first thought. lol

Aug 24, 2007
DSC00775.jpg

DSC00770.jpg

Where it goes into the airbox you can form it into shape ;)

Last edited:

Gudgie

dont think i would be able to cram 100mm in either. Some people have just removed the battery cover completely to allow a little bit more space. Any other places it available from was wanting to get stuck into it today. Something to do on a bank holiday lol!:D
Anything suitable from DIY stores etc? cheers for the info though Adam

greesha

Leon 1.8T on steroids
Jan 6, 2009
Slough
You can buy something similiar to maylos air feed in B&Q :D. Definietly something i will be doing soon as well :).

Ronin225

Jan 17, 2008
Worcester
I have a 76mm/ 3inch feed to my airbox which is ample for what i am running.
People who run bigger 90/100mm normally have to relocate the battery across slighly to accommodate this.
I personally think that the 3inch stuff is a good compromise, but if running BT maybe bigger would be more suited

henryg

Mar 30, 2008
Oxford
Hi,

I should be picking up my LCR tomorrow :D and I am going to make a few mods to it for example a piper turbo back exhaust system, bigger intercooler & a custom remap.
I was wondering what the pros and cons are of replacing the standard air box or just replacing the panel filter and smoothing the airbox? Would be great to know what everyone else is using!

Cheers,

Henry

Gudgie

Cheers mylo. So where the feed enters the airbox have you cut to fit the feed into it as opposed to just slotting the feed over the top? If you've cut it how did you go about doing that? just go at it with a dremel?
Is running anything over 80mm not overkill just for an LC?

Aug 24, 2007
100mm is the smallest metal pipe I could find. The airbox hole was opened up using a stanley knife and a big file, a dremel would be far easier. With the other mods it seems to work well and sounds pretty cool.

Overkill ? very possibly :D lol

Gudgie

I think i'm going to have to trawl through a few of the DIY shops and find anything more suitable. If i cant find anything else then i think i'll probably get me one of those and try and shoe horn it in! lol.

adam cupra 20vt

Built Not Bought.
Mar 31, 2005
Mud Hut
Mylo your air feed goes from bottom of bumper straight into airbox? what happens when you go through water surely it gets sucked up? :confused:

That 100mm hose looks pretty mean :D

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members