Interior (Audio) mod

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Doncaster / Germany (Army)
Nearly finished installing a 2x single din cage fron the Mk5 golf...

Image0010.jpg

Image0012.jpg

I want something different. I may buy a 7" double din touch screen in the future.
A single din unit that has an Sd card slot and keeps steering wheel controls will keep
me happy. Plus I have the functionality of the pocket :)

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Did you do it yourself? What bits did you use? The VW harness allowing steering wheel controls is about £45 with next day delivery :(

Went to Seat and bought the facia, £13 something, VW golf DIN cage about £10 from ebay and Halfords screws and U-bolts but didn't buy the clips for the facia so used abit of hot glue and looks great :)

Danny.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Went to Seat and bought the facia, £13 something, VW golf DIN cage about £10 from ebay and Halfords screws and U-bolts but didn't buy the clips for the facia so used abit of hot glue and looks great :)

Danny.

My fascia is a little loose, wasnt sure if there are some clips i need or if i should just glue it.

You have single or double din headunit? Any pics?? :thumbup:

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
My fascia is a little loose, wasnt sure if there are some clips i need or if i should just glue it.

You have single or double din headunit? Any pics?? :thumbup:

I've got the same DIN cage as you with the Sony Xplod 95 whatever lol, the one from Halfords for 200 notes. No pictures at the mo but will get some if needed. I went for the glueing the facia as hot glue is a lot easier to get off then the clips, especially if you only use little amounts. :)

Danny.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
I've got the same DIN cage as you with the Sony Xplod 95 whatever lol, the one from Halfords for 200 notes. No pictures at the mo but will get some if needed. I went for the glueing the facia as hot glue is a lot easier to get off then the clips, especially if you only use little amounts. :)

Danny.

I had a nightmare fitting the DIN cage! happy with the result though, well i will be when i get a head unit :p

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I had a nightmare fitting the DIN cage! happy with the result though, well i will be when i get a head unit :p

I don't know if it was the same on yours, but the plastic that the tray sits on inside the dash seems to push it up and out a little? the bottom of my DIN cage doesn't fit quite flush? Just me or you aswell Mike?

Danny.

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
I took a file to the golf part, all sits flush now. It was sitting proud at the top before.

Yeah, maybe I need to do that. But I'm happy the way it looks and it might just be me, but the Leon's standard speakers are excellent, I did have a sub in before but took it out for boot space and haven't put it back in, the Sony stereo will easily go past 2/3s of the volume before distortion. Sony's Xplod setting is excellent IMO, I would highly recommend looking at their radios,

Danny.

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
Yeah, maybe I need to do that. But I'm happy the way it looks and it might just be me, but the Leon's standard speakers are excellent, I did have a sub in before but took it out for boot space and haven't put it back in, the Sony stereo will easily go past 2/3s of the volume before distortion. Sony's Xplod setting is excellent IMO, I would highly recommend looking at their radios,

Danny.

After something with motorised front, sd card (will settle for usb or 3.5mm aux) decent power and pre out that wont break the bank...

How much room did you have fo the harness adapter behind the din cage? You get the harness adapter that keeps the steering wheel controls?

Cheers

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
After something with motorised front, sd card (will settle for usb or 3.5mm aux) decent power and pre out that wont break the bank...

How much room did you have fo the harness adapter behind the din cage? You get the harness adapter that keeps the steering wheel controls?

Cheers

The Sony version I have, has the motorised front, usb port and 3.5mm aux and 3 preouts. I had hardly any room and found I had to shove the CAN-BUS harness down in the bottom left corner of the dash where it fits in nicely and leaves a decent amount of space. Audio Island near where I live had to run an ignition wire from the fuse box as the radio wouldn't initially turn on, whether there is another way around this I don't know. I don't think I could fit the wiring in for the steering wheel controls without cutting some plastic away inside...

Danny

Tfsi_Mike

Aug 30, 2007
The Sony version I have, has the motorised front, usb port and 3.5mm aux and 3 preouts. I had hardly any room and found I had to shove the CAN-BUS harness down in the bottom left corner of the dash where it fits in nicely and leaves a decent amount of space. Audio Island near where I live had to run an ignition wire from the fuse box as the radio wouldn't initially turn on, whether there is another way around this I don't know. I don't think I could fit the wiring in for the steering wheel controls without cutting some plastic away inside...

Danny

sounds perfect :) what's' the model number? yeah canbus plug is sitting in the bottom left at the minute. Im willing to trim some out of the back to allow the cables to fit. Think those to squares protruding will have to be trimmed out...

dannychapman10

K04 Time ;)
Mar 30, 2009
Grimsby, UK
Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.