Mk2 Leon Limited Slip Differential

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I am just wondering if any of you lads are planning on a diff in 2010 and if so which one. The only person I know of so far with one fitted is Dan. I am pricing up a Wavetrac one at the moment with view to fitting it in early 2010.

Ta,

Horace

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I have heard that Peolquin and Quaiffe diffs are quite good on these, but I have read that the new Wavetrac is a little bit more advanced.

Will send you a PM regarding prices for interests sake.

robdf2

Yellow is the best
Feb 21, 2006
location , location
I am just wondering if any of you lads are planning on a diff in 2010 and if so which one. The only person I know of so far with one fitted is Dan. I am pricing up a Wavetrac one at the moment with view to fitting it in early 2010.

Ta,

Horace

how long you keeping your car for Al?

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire
My DSG ED30 is just being put back together as I write, with a shiny new Quaife in place.

It is properly scary Mary watching the DSG being cracked open and having the OEM diff drilled out:(

I looked at the Wavetrac, but they don't do a DSG version, so opted for the Quaife over the Peloquin.[B)]

Carr20vt

Dec 18, 2003
South Wales
Visit site
My DSG ED30 is just being put back together as I write, with a shiny new Quaife in place.

It is properly scary Mary watching the DSG being cracked open and having the OEM diff drilled out:(

I looked at the Wavetrac, but they don't do a DSG version, so opted for the Quaife over the Peloquin.[B)]

What else you upto tho mate? Engine out and your keeping quiet[B)]

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I just bought a spare Cupra gear box with the exact code mine does for a reasonable price :funk:

It is getting it sent to a reputable dealer who will fit a Wavetrac diff I am going to supply him with in January :D

WALK arrived today too :)

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Willie is getting a box done for his car in this same place so we will have the 2 boxes shipped up to us at the same time in January all going well. It will mean that we will save on postage and also that I can just have my car booked in somewhere to have the gearbox changed.

Now thats done, I will need to look at clutch options (will prob go with a new OEM clutch from David at SERE) and more importantly to reduce rolling mass, options for lightened flywheels. :runaway:

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Thought about getting a lsd so many times over the last year or so, but for some reason always held back at the last minute, thought id only get the best out of it on track days and i dont do that many, infact none so far lol.

Would be interesting to here peoples thoughts when they get it fitted, been thinking of buying something similar to jonnyc's red team dynamics and getting some r888's or similar for around the same price as a diff.

Just been reading about wavetrac's diff and does seem the best option with the whole no load ratio=no power in other diffs. Guess ive got some decisions to make.

It might be worth while doing when my clutch goes tits up as it carnt be long now with nearly 25k miles and at least 5k with stage2+.

Last edited:

Al

Aug 29, 2005
Thought about getting a lsd so many times over the last year or so, but for some reason always held back at the last minute, thought id only get the best out of it on track days and i dont do that many, infact none so far lol.

Would be interesting to here peoples thoughts when they get it fitted, been thinking of buying jonnyc's red team dynamics and getting some r888's or similar for around the same price as a diff.

Just been reading about wavetrac's diff and does seem the best option with the whole no load ratio=no power in other diffs. Guess ive got some decisions to make.

It might be worth while doing when my clutch goes tits up as it carnt be long now with nearly 25k miles and at least 5k with stage2+.

From what I have heard, track days are only part of the benefit of a diff. An LSD will reduce wheel hop, it will allow for faster road driving courtesy of better ability to set off up through the gears and better ability to pull out of corners on a twisty road. In both cases, you should be spreading less of your tyres on to the road (leaving a single black strip).

Look at documented evidence about the R26 Megane and the Ford Focus RS - both are reported to be aweome for quick A to B driving. However what really sells it to me is that both are quicker on something other than a straight line despite 60bhp or 140bhp less than a Stage 2+ Leon with a fast road set up (KW V3's etc). A Stage 2+ Leon ultimately is a victim of its own strengths due to inability to put its power down effectively.

I have the Pro Race 1.2 wheels already, and may well go for some 888's also, but ultimately, I dont think the wheel and tyre combo is going to be a better or most effective way to go quicker than an LSD although it may not be any worse either. Having all 3 would be best ;)

RobH

Nov 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
From what I have heard, track days are only part of the benefit of a diff. An LSD will reduce wheel hop, it will allow for faster road driving courtesy of better ability to set off up through the gears and better ability to pull out of corners on a twisty road. In both cases, you should be spreading less of your tyres on to the road (leaving a single black strip).

Look at documented evidence about the R26 Megane and the Ford Focus RS - both are reported to be aweome for quick A to B driving. However what really sells it to me is that both are quicker on something other than a straight line despite 60bhp or 140bhp less than a Stage 2+ Leon with a fast road set up (KW V3's etc). A Stage 2+ Leon ultimately is a victim of its own strengths due to inability to put its power down effectively.

I have the Pro Race 1.2 wheels already, and may well go for some 888's also, but ultimately, I dont think the wheel and tyre combo is going to be a better or most effective way to go quicker than an LSD although it may not be any worse either. Having all 3 would be best ;)

Having all 3 would be quite expensive but im deffinatly wanting the red black combo of the TD wheels, something a little different and thinking back to the evo test betwwen the r26r and RS a diff will be on the horizon shortly after and me out of pocket for the next few months lol.

DanGB

Who need's a Diesel....
Feb 12, 2006
London
I dont think the LSD reduces wheel hop at all really, especially in a straight line. I'd say it does almost nothing for straight line grip.

Al

Aug 29, 2005
I dont think the LSD reduces wheel hop at all really, especially in a straight line. I'd say it does almost nothing for straight line grip.

Lol - I dont think you would notice if a 747 overtook you on the motorway though mate :clown:

Hurdy

Yorkshire - born and bred
Oct 7, 2008
South Yorkshire

My R888's will be back on in Feb/March.

DanGB - the main reducer of wheel hop is a combination of a hard damping set-up, engine and transmission mounts and the WALK kit[B)]

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.