Traction Control/Diff Stranded Me

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
We've had some really bad snow here today and when I came home I managed to make it to the bottom of my street, which is a hill, but couldn't get up.

I noticed that everytime one front wheel had grip but the other didn't, that the one without it would spin while the other did nothing. I'd really have prefered it the other way round.

Can anyone explain what was happening, why, and how to stop it (if possible)

jscottuk

Do you have esp? I sometimes have to turn off esp on slow inclines, as it seems to break wheels to keep me in a straight line.

CHRIS87

Jul 12, 2009
we have had quite a bit of snow, and the only way i managed to get up hills was tot urn off the traction control - going up hill all power was cut witht he esp on.

Aug 24, 2007
had this on holiday last month, the only solution was to drive across the grass in the deepest snow :D

Not practical outside a country park though

andypotts1981

Sep 25, 2009
I got stranded on a really slight incline today.... had the boot full with 2 pc's and a server and all my usual bits and pieces i've got to fix them.

I ended up putting all i could on the front passenger seat to get going...

godber225r

T15 PJG
Sep 6, 2008
Whiteley, Hampshire
Thought the esp was really good tonight the light was flashing constantly but it got me up hills really good system, the only annoying thing is i got a puncture so had to leave car at side of road :cry: and walk home 3 miles!!!

also tyreweld is shite!!! dont bother with it. never worked for me tonight!!.

OFI

Sep 5, 2007
Salisbury
had this on holiday last month, the only solution was to drive across the grass in the deepest snow :D

Not practical outside a country park though

Similar here, had to put one wheel in the wet muddy ditch coming down a hill to get traction Felt odd..

Back in February I made the mistake of trying to get up a hill with TCS on. As has been said LSD is the only way to get sensible power where you want it but sometimes turning off TCS can be a benefit.

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
An ATB LSD wouldn't help you in this situation.
All a ATB (Automatic Torque Baised differential) does is magnify the grip one wheel has and switch it to the other wheel.
With zero grip on the spinning side 0 x say 2 is still 0.

This is where the new generation of ATB diffs come into their own like the Autotec Wavetrac.
If trying to climb this same hill again don't accelerate, just slowly feed in the clutch and slowly get going then get into second gear ASAP.
Also winter tyres would have got you up that hill.
But winter tyres and a differential and you would have been all the way home.

WHY DO PEOPLE NOT USE WINTER TYRES??????????

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I must admit Willie, I did try feeding in the clutch very slowly, and it worked to get me going, but very soon the car was going sideways, no matter what action I tried. Getting going wasn't a problem, but as soon as the drift started I was stuck. I had to reverse and start again, and the exact same thing happened every time.

I do agree about the use of winter tyres, but since I don't have a spare set of wheels I'm a bit buggered :(

splitpin

Nov 22, 2009
A friend tried some of those snow socks and said they were great, just popped them on when he got stuck and he was away!

Willie

LCR Track car
Aug 6, 2004
Sunny Scotland
Why cant you get your summer tyres removed in December and put them back on in March/April like I and many others do?
For my Leon I picked up a set of alloys for £100, now I have the winter tyres on these so easy to fit and remove without using a tyre shop.

AntneeUK

2 Wheels 2 Many
Mar 8, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Why cant you get your summer tyres removed in December and put them back on in March/April like I and many others do?
Because it costs money that I don't have right now?

Splitpin, does he just put them on in the tricky bits or drive all the way with them?

Genuine SEAT Parts and Accessories.