replacement brake discs and pads,could my warrenty be affected?

captain kikaz

ok so we had our 08 tdi sport ref in for it's 27k service today and it's come back needing new brake pads all round and new front discs.

now for the interesting bit the dealer has quoted £694 for 2 new discs and pads for all 4 corners,I nearly fell off my chair tbh.

They want £279 for the discs £119 for the front pads and £79 for the rear pads plus labour

now this to me seems to me somewhat on the steep side verging on them taking down my trousers and giving me one for good measure.

i could just go independent and have them done for half the price but were would i stand with the warranty?

seat are saying that it would invalidate it if they didn't carry out the work.

now my question is this, if i bought after market parts and had them fitted by the dealer would my warranty still be intact or do they have to fit genuine seat parts?

I know main dealers are renowned for being expensive but £700 for front discs and pads seriously?

thanks in advance for any advice

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
if you fit aftermarket brakes then they just wont warrant the brakes , So if for instance your electric windows stopped working they couldnt refuse to do them because youve fitted brakes

if your brakes failed for instance tho then they can say no!

Best thing to do is get Genuine parts from a cheaper source (ie. Dave @ SERE motors on here) and get a local garage to fit the Genuine Parts

Your local dealer would be none the wiser

Poverty

ok so we had our 08 tdi sport ref in for it's 27k service today and it's come back needing new brake pads all round and new front discs.

now for the interesting bit the dealer has quoted £694 for 2 new discs and pads for all 4 corners,I nearly fell off my chair tbh.

They want £279 for the discs £119 for the front pads and £79 for the rear pads plus labour

now this to me seems to me somewhat on the steep side verging on them taking down my trousers and giving me one for good measure.

i could just go independent and have them done for half the price but were would i stand with the warranty?

seat are saying that it would invalidate it if they didn't carry out the work.

now my question is this, if i bought after market parts and had them fitted by the dealer would my warranty still be intact or do they have to fit genuine seat parts?

I know main dealers are renowned for being expensive but £700 for front discs and pads seriously?

thanks in advance for any advice

:lol:

The massive 345mm discs on the cupra only cost £120, the discs for your car are roughly 50-60.

Pads for the cupra front are about £50.

Any garage can do the work, and your warranty will remain intact as long as its genuine VAG parts and the garage is VAT registered ;)

Feb 26, 2009
Wolverhampton
I paid a fraction of that for all four discs and associated pads for my Tolly V5, and they're massive beasts! Nearly 700 notes is ridiculous.

captain kikaz

thanks for the speedy responces guys i was thinking along these lines getting the genuine parts and getting my local garage to fit them and keeping seat in the dark so to speak

regards

kikaz

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
even my brembo disc and pads along with rear discs and pads all together would be cheaper than 700 notes.
Yeah, as said buy genuine parts and get them fitted by an independant.

langy

Aug 9, 2006
How the hell can you go through a set of discs and pads in 27k ? You must be either using the brakes more than the average person, or the garage is taking the piss.

As a comparison, I also have a tdi Ref Sport, it's done nearly 96k and still on the original pads and discs. OK the fluid has been changed once. ;)

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
My standard brakes still had 50% left when i changed them over to brembo's at 27k. Maybe OP likes to drive like Michael Schmacher more often than most of us here

markm74

I've just been told my front discs and pads and rear pads need changing by the stealer.

I've managed 41k miles and thats on a Leon FR DSG TFSI. They want £450 inc VAT.

An independant garage can do the job using Ferodo parts for £225

captain kikaz

i've only had the car since last april and it's my wife that drives it mostly.they are saying the discs are corroded around the outside i need to have a look at them tomorrow but i am getting the distinct feeling all they need is a clean and they will be fine.

yeah discs at 27k?? was my response i have had my passat 3 years and done 45k in it and it's still on the set that were on the car when i bought it.

from what i am gathering the dealer is going down the replace it route rather then taking 20 minutes to clean them.

Mar 30, 2008
Edinburgh
The general rule i go by is 2 sets of pads before the discs need changing. Get a second opinion from another garage, just in case that garage is trying to rob you.

Stealthdave

Sep 28, 2006
Last time I looked at my seat dealer over a year ago they wanted £260 front discs and pads and the same for the rear...........

By comparison a bloke at work goes through discs pads like a set a year....after going with him down to London though I found out why, he'd brake really sharply even with a 50 foot gap to the next car....there was no ease on and off, it was all or nothing, lol

jcp

Dec 18, 2008
Herts
Lack of use can cause problems, discs sit and rust and then the rust gets ground off by a short journey in traffic. They are then left to rust again. Regular normal use wears less than either low use or very hard use.

Viking

Insurance co's are crap.
May 19, 2007
Near Richmond, North Yorks
Rear pads & discs, genuine parts, less than £70 from TPS. an hour to fit both sides. Front's would be a bit more money due to being vented but £700 is just plain daft.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.