please HELP! front suspension/wheels gone wrong after hit curb side on!

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
Hi all, i'm having a few issues :help:

I'm still having major problems after hitting that bast@rd curb side-on (for those who are unaware, I slid into a curb side on in the snow and bent the rear axle beam pointing the rear wheel out from top a good few inches

JAN 2nd - accident - got car assessed, new rear axle beam needed

UPDATE 25th JAN :(

After purchasing a whole new rear axle and getting it fitted, as well as being skint I at least thought i'd have the luxury of being back to normal driving again.................no, of course not, its January and time to pay for things you cant afford!

Now there is something wrong with the front drivers side wheel. As the mechanic was about to do 4 wheel alignment we noticed that the drivers side front wheel was also leaning slightly out from the arch (no where near as bad as rear). On closer inspection he advised it was the shock that was damaged. Nothing to do with what i thought such as what i'd read on here such as: track rod/ Con rod/ droplink/ wishbone/ hub etc

(I'm not a mechanic and do not have the experience to argue over what is and what could be but thankfully I know alot of you are experienced in these issues and could possibly help me from going mad!)

So, I agreed to purchase a shock, arrange time to get fitted and we'd go from there. I drove home that night and a new world of pain enveloped me!. The car automatically turned right at low speeds but was fairly straight as i picked up speed, steering felt unsafely lighter though and did tram line but we'd (mechanic and I) discussed it would prob do this as result of the camber issue of front drivers side wheel. Accompanying this though is the unmistakable knowledge that something is wrong - a resonating rumble/grinding noise matching the revolutions of the front wheels as I increase speed/ when turning the noise gets a bit louder. (both left and right turns)

As well as this, when looking at car when up on ramps the mechanic made me aware that my front tyres were very low on tred on the inner tyre walls (how that happened i thought!? incorrect camber setup or alignment when fitted!? driving the car to the garage after the accident!? i dont know) I am totally lost there as although I know Goodyear eagle F1s are softer compund and will wear more as a result it says to me that there was already a problem with uneven tyre wear (have no idea how long it took to wear down/ how long its been uneven either!?)

Anyway, I took the mechanic out in it then and he could hear/feel same noise (you could feel it traveling through your feet a little bit) coming from front wheels area. After initially suggesting bushes, he then mentioned it could be due to driveshaft being mis-aligned due to adverse wheel camber!? but couldnt be sure completely until we got the new shock fitted. Great i thought, what next!

UPDATE: 1st FEB [:@]

So we have the new shock fitted and yes it has brought the wheel in a few millimeters but apparently when fitting the new shock he found that the 'CASTING' is offset/damaged also and i need to replace that in order to fix this. As you may expect, the car is still acting the same as before and i've still got the same grinding/rubbing noise

trouble is I cant rely on this guy now because he gone off sick and I'm kind of left in lurch not really knowing where to go from here. I cant drive the car anywhere far as I'm worried about damaging something or ruining what tyre tread i have left

I dont even know exactly what the CASTING is let alone where to order one from. I'm assuming its part of the shock/damper assembly!???

If anybody can offer advise please, I would be truely grateful.
thanks (and thankyou for reading all the way to the bottom too!):)

Last edited:

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
cheers for the quick response. A few people have mentioned to go an accident repair centre

I cant see that being cheap although I would be dealing with a better mechanic rather than a fitter (who can fix things) i suppose

Any more advice guys? Anybody had similar problems?

robo999

NEV
Apr 21, 2005
leicestershire
my mate did the exact same thing. he bent the shock the wishbone and the hub. once replaced all of them it was perfectly fine. so maybe he means the hub when he says casing. :shrug:

DPJ

Dec 13, 2004
NN Yorks / Salento
www.seatcupra.net
my mate did the exact same thing. he bent the shock the wishbone and the hub. once replaced all of them it was perfectly fine. so maybe he means the hub when he says casing. :shrug:

THe hub is the bit the wheel bolts to. It revolves. You actually mean the hub carrier. This is a big casting - as the one on the left below.
P1040449.jpg

FRESHMODE

FRESHMODE
Oct 9, 2008
Staffordshire
your all on the money to be honest. managed to get in touch with dude from garage who also agrees i need to source a wheel baering carrier and hub, he apologised for not making it properly clear about the 'casting' terminology

Any ideas guys on how much? I'm planning on sourcing the parts off the salvage company from the same flood damaged car I got rear axle beam from. Not sure on OEM prices though

thanks again all, i'm one step closer to getting back on the road!

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members