Recommend me some tyres before i end up in a ditch!

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
Ok guys, currently i have got Fedral Super Steel 595 tyres all round on my car at the moment which are really bad - total ditchfinders. Having nearly had a really bad crash tonight because of really poor grip in the wet, (even 30mph into slight bend and it feels unstable!) i have decided that i NEED to get at least two new tyres on my car. Can anyone recommend me some tyres that have both good wet and dry grip and low road noise? (sorry for another tyres thread but a search did'nt give me the answers i was looking for)

Cheers guys

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
I'm running Bridgestone Turanza ER300's: I'm no expert, but their quiet, very stable, and pretty hard to get unstuck. Auto Express also gave them the best popular tyre rating. Plus i picked mine new for £80 each :)

Thing is, i don't really understand spending over £150 per tyre on some rubber for a front wheel drive hatchback. I'm sure ragging it on a track, you could achieve a timed benefit with these Pirelli P Zero's, but when your spending half your life on the A4 decent mid ranger's will do the job fine ;)

I DON'T recommend budgets, some of there are truly dangerous under braking..

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
are'nt the Bridgestones that you have the ones that come standard with the Ibiza? If so, apprently road noise is not too clever

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
Uniroyal Rainsport 2's are great performers but aren't quiet. Mine have about 3mm on the front and buzz like knobblies. I thought it was a bearing going but others have had the same noise from rainsports.

At around £75 a corner, I'll be putting the same on again in the next few months

Gooner_Mike

Teaching the kids
Jan 20, 2008
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
I have had Falken 912s fitted for about 2 years. Front 2 worn down so replaced with Falken 452s (sweet tread pattern) which I put on the rear. I will be replacing the other 2 with 452s when they need changing! Good tyres...

falken452.jpg

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
Just put rainsports in to replace my toyos and they are like ten million times better! Really good tyre seems reasonably quiet too!

My friend swears by them falkens mike says they are real good :)
Had them on his twinturbo gto and his scirocco gt

pugnatous

well i work as a tyre tech so i know wot works. on my leon i only run p zero neros but its all down to personal taste, b/stone not a fan as to hard, toyo are soft and good for grip in hot conditions but die quick!

trade tip: falken are actually budgets but people sell them as middle range, they are good for the money though.

my tip is giving the hankook evo v12 or depending on what size your running the evo s1 a go

RaggedLob

The worst is yet to come
Mar 29, 2009
Thatcham, Berkshire
are'nt the Bridgestones that you have the ones that come standard with the Ibiza? If so, apprently road noise is not too clever

Correct about the Bridgie's that come with the FR wheels, they are the ER30 and are not too great tbh. When they were replaced I was told the ER300's were basically the same, but they are in fact totally different, they actually have a properly designed tread, far better. Link to pic:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/front_website/gallery.php?o=1&id=231918

Last edited:

Cal91

1.4 Powerrr
I need some new tyres too and at the moment I am running the standard Bridgestones! They have lasted 21k and the last 5k is when I got the car and I drive very hard.

The road noise is actually terrible, but the Ibiza has exactly no sound deadening so you can't ask for much haha. At motorway speeds you have to physically shout at passengers.

But for actual grip, they are pretty good! They stick in the dry and really give you confidence... even on my standard suspension.
But in the wet, roundabouts get exciting. The understeer is really bad (more the car than the tyres I think) and then you get some quite fun lift-off oversteer.

perikolos

I have on the front for about 2 months KUMHO KU31, and they are very good. Lots of grip in the wet and almost perfect in the dry (with the remap more grip in 2nd gear and in 3rd almost no wheel spin).

Mattwood

Mar 7, 2009
Nr Southampton
I had Kumho KU31's all round until recently - and I was so impressed I had a new set on back order for a month before deciding I couldn't wait any longer and opted for toyo T1R's - which I'm finding bang on (but they were a whole £10 more expensive each haha!)

If the UK stock issue that had mine on order for a month has cleared - go for the KU31s - shouldn't cost more that £65-£70 per corner fitted!

Lee g

Jul 4, 2009
Banbridge
joke or serious?

p-zeros...came standard on my car lasted about 5,000 miles and i wasnt driving like a clown etc...they were instantely changed for toyo proxies 4

they are great tyres i found they last as long as any tyre ive had, and my car eats tyres, toyos are dangerous in the wet i found! longest lasting tyres i had were bf goodrich g profilers, hard to find near me now though

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise