Recommend me some tyres before i end up in a ditch!

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I got 4 Uniroyal Rainsports last weekend. £79 /corner fitted for 215/40/17

I'm still amazed how well these tyres grip in the wet. In the dry I don't get wheelspin in 2nd gear from my remapped cupra tdi when every other tyre I've tried, did. Tried P-Zeros, Bridgestone Potenzas & Nankangs on it and the rainsports are by far the best

mazzerati

Bags are for groceries!
Jun 27, 2008
Beverley, East Yorkshire
Had my rainsports a couple of weeks now and I've got to agree they are flaming brilliant.

Miles ahead of the toyos I'd say they are level pegging with my eagle f1's I had!

Buy toyos you may aswell just drive in the ditch

boomhauwer

1.4 TDI Turbomotive :D
Feb 21, 2009
Belgium
Just put rainsports in to replace my toyos and they are like ten million times better! Really good tyre seems reasonably quiet too!

My friend swears by them falkens mike says they are real good :)
Had them on his twinturbo gto and his scirocco gt

I have rainsport 2, they are not quiet, goes away like butter in the sun... the rear tyres are almost worn after just 45000miles, fronts 20000miles. (it's only 80hp engine...so no massive torque/hp on the front)

DEAN0

Old Git
Feb 1, 2006
Preston - UK
I have rainsport 2, they are not quiet, goes away like butter in the sun... the rear tyres are almost worn after just 45000miles, fronts 20000miles. (it's only 80hp engine...so no massive torque/hp on the front)

Your getting 45,000 out of rears and 20,000 out of fronts !!!

I wish

Jim H

Mar 6, 2009
Teesside
205/45 16 are the same size as the Furby vRS. It is a common question on Briskoda, if you ask you are normally flamed (well accused of killing kittens by not using the search). :p

Most people buy, Goodyear GSD3, Toyo T1-R or Uniroyal Rainsport 2s. I have T1-Rs and GSD3 on mine and can't fault them in the wet or dry. However I think the Goodyears (I've had GSD2 and GSD3s) are better in deep standing water, and the Toyos, being softer, are better in cold weather. Both were useless in last winters snow. I've done approx 10k miles on the Toyos and still have about 4mm tread on them.

I might try Uniroyals next as people rave about them and they came 2nd in the latest EVO mag's tyre test.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
well i have finally got round to getting some and decided to go for the uniroyal rainsport 2 tyres since the reviews were excellent and the folk on here like them too, thanks for your help guys

Jan 11, 2005
Barnsley
I'd be interested to know what everyone paid for their rainsports (and the size). I've seen prices vary from £75ish to £130 for 17 inch

I was very impressed with the rainsports in the snow. My last set had about 4mm on the front and 2.5mm on the back and I overtook quite a few cars that were stuck or getting stuck.

Pabs

May 3, 2004
Basingstoke
Not sure what tyres to go for myself at the moment.
Seems I have a slow puncture in 1 rear tyre, and I only ever replace tyres in twos (other rear is a bout 1/2 to 3/4 worn) so figure I'd get 2 new, and pop them on the front. Currently have Yoko's on the front and they are AWFUL in any condition.

Want GSD3's, but quite a price difference it seems.

Considering Falken FK-452's or possibly the rainsports. Really not sure.

rf860

Jan 23, 2010
scotland
I'd certainly recommend the rainsports, the grip they give is excellent in all conditions which is what i wanted more than anything

1000baird

1.4 power
Feb 8, 2010
got two khumo ku31s put on the front in place of two budgets
really good tyre, i noticed improved grip and a decrease in road noise
not bad at £110 fitted for the two :D

mexicorich

Apr 17, 2006
Hartlepool
I'm curious to know which Toyos are being slandered here? T1-Rs have generally been well liked on this forum and others

In my experience, least favoured are the standard Bridgestones and Hankook Ventus Prime

Unniroyal Rainsports are indeed good wet weather tyres but somehow seem to lack the stability of my two favourites, I'm gussing because of the more open treadblocks squirming around

Favourites
Michelin Pilot Exaltos and Toyo T1-Rs
The Michelin's in theory last longer but with such low profile sidewalls and poor roads in the North I have had to replace a number of tyres due to sidewall damage and punctures rather than them wearing out, which meant I didn't achieve the mileage that they were ultimately capable of. When Toyos used to be cheaper I would therefore have gone for them again, but they seem to have risen in price over the last few years so its a less obvious decision to me.

I have seen some good results in tyre tests for Fuldas in the past

Hankook

ibizatom

Warrrrp tish
Mar 13, 2010
Kent
Probably going to get slated for this but is it the people who complain about tires in the wet are the people driving to fast for the conditions?

I have Yoko Prada Spec 2's on all corners which you all know are summer tires, but I have never had a problem with losing control or grip in the wet.

mexicorich

Apr 17, 2006
Hartlepool
Yes you are going to get slated :) lol

If anyone reaches the limits of modern tyres IN THE DRY they are going too fast.....

but it's always useful to have as much grip as possible when it's slippy

Seatmann

Rough around the edges
Sep 16, 2010
Scotlanda
Check out the auto express website. They've just done a fairly big test on loads of diffirent tyres. It can make a diffirence of 4metres for stoppin in the wet from 50mph. I'm runnin on maxxis just now which are in the top ten so I'm feelin a bit smug.

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.