Time needed :

3-4 Minutes max

Difficulty :

1/5 - Takes longer to boil the kettle!

I'll be using this bulb :

new_2.jpg

Cost £8.00 for x2 on Ebay

Other bulbs can be used

First off this is what you will have, normal number plate light (shines yellow, don't have a picture of that) :

1.jpg

Take your kitchen knife and place it inside a sock (cotton are best as thinnest), just left of the bulb plastic cover should be a grove you can put the knife into.

2.jpg

Push into the grove and gently put a bit of pressure on the knife pushing towards the bumper. If done correctly you should get this :

3.jpg

4.jpg

You now need to twist the bulbs holder (white part) ANTI CLOCKWISE while holding the cover and it should come off :

5.jpg

Grab your tissue/toilet paper and put it over the old bulb and pull out, put this bulb somewhere safe. Grab your new bulb (with the toilet/tissue paper again) and push it into the holder, get your cover and push the bulb holder into place turning CLOCKWISE once done.

You now need to put the part back in the bumper, easiest way is to put the left hand side in first then push up the right hand side until you hear a statisfying click.

The end result should be :

6.jpg

Enjoy the new look!

Dave 77

Dave ;)
Nov 13, 2009
Hertfordshire
Looks cool, the cup/boca are diffrent i think as there is 2 lights and as far as i can see you have to unscrew 4 screws to get to them :)

Elliot29

Apr 25, 2010
Your right dave :) Slightly different for the Cupra/Boca , its a pair of Festoon bulbs instead, ive done them and no error light :D

11.jpg

markmeus

Mark Graham
Jun 9, 2007
Banbridge, Northern Ireland
Looks really good on the Cupra/Bocanegra - too many accountants in Martorell these days, my old mk3 had twin number plate bulbs and it was only a 1.4 Chill

Come to think of it, it had twin rear fogs, twin reversing lights, and rear grab handles on the headlining...

LairyT

Claire
Jul 15, 2010
Lincolnshire
I've just tried to do this - went from memory and got it wrong and took it out from right side first. Came out ok and don't think anything broke but now when putting it back it the way you say, it click and everything but it's loose now. Comparing your pics the metal clip looks a lot longer on your so maybe i snapped a bit. When my fitting is back in the right hand side where the clip is hangs slightly loose like the silver clip is too short to hold it tight.
Any ideas or is it trip to garage time?
Is anyone else's loose, by that i mean has some movement when it's back in place? Didn't think mine was before I took it out, but might be wrong!

Last edited:

VRSLOZ

Formally SC16v
May 1, 2010
Costa Del Hertfordshire
I've just tried to do this - went from memory and got it wrong and took it out from right side first. Came out ok and don't think anything broke but now when putting it back it the way you say, it click and everything but it's loose now. Comparing your pics the metal clip looks a lot longer on your so maybe i snapped a bit. When my fitting is back in the right hand side where the clip is hangs slightly loose like the silver clip is too short to hold it tight.
Any ideas or is it trip to garage time?
Is anyone else's loose, by that i mean has some movement when it's back in place? Didn't think mine was before I took it out, but might be wrong!

There shouldn't be any movement in it, shouldn't be lose, might be worth asking the Stealers what price for a new clip.

I would like to point out that these Festoon LEDs are not designed for the number plates because it doesn't diffuse the light (doesn't light up the whole number plate) plus i don't like the blue/white look, i prefer the BMW and Lexus LEDs, yellow/white.

i want these bad boys

http://www.dectane.de/product_info....volkswagen-golf-iv--v--vi--scirocco-----.html

I think the Festoon bulbs are used in the higher model ibiza, my sport isn't a festoon

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members