2.0TDI 184PS --- With DSG

AndrewJB

Friend to SEAT UK & Cupra Racing
Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
As you all might be aware the 184PS engine has never been available with DSG from launch, Production of the 184PS with DSG will start soon with first deliveries expected Jan 2014.

184PS + DSG will be an amazing car especially to tune

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
Yeh when i was at media day i really wished the 184 would have DSG, the 150 was just not fast enough for me

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
If it drives as badly as the CR170 DSG, you made the right choice to get the manual.

Nothing, nothing, nothing, start to spool, change up, nothing nothing, nothing, start to spool, change up.

Repeat until you decide you have to drive in 'manual', and realise that the £1500 premium for a DSG gearbox, when you still have to do the shifting probably isn't right for you.

Very frustrating car to drive (as you'd want to drive 90% of the time)

I can't imagine a higher output is any better though

AndrewJB

Aug 16, 2007
Maranello
i agree in Auto mode its not the best but when you get it tuned and DSG Tuned and then select flappy paddle mode it can be very fun

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
You not happy with the Octy them Mark?

Power delivery is beginning to f*ck me off in normal driving about, luckily it's a manual. I'm not interested in a sporty drive down the motorway to work

I just remembered back to when I bought it, I tested with the DSG too and it was miserable in that 40-70mph driving people endure for most drives

shnazzle

Glass-Half-Full Member
Sep 9, 2011
Northumberland
Love DSG to death but I agree...D mode is USELESS in speeds over 30mph. Even more so since remap.

Happy to see the 184 is with DSG now. I was wondering why it wasn't being offered

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
Is it the 6 speed or 7 speed? The 7 speed on the 1.8tsi is better than the 6 speed on the 140PD

3mile3llis

Sep 1, 2013
I love my DSG, i agree it does short shift when your just cruising around but as soon as i put my foot down it holds the gears alot longer like it does in S mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
I just had a 1.6tdi 7 speed dsg courtesy car and it was ridiculous. It was in 3rd by 10mph and when you floor it at 60 or so it just kept the revs at 4.5k with no power and no acceleration.

Also it did 53mpg on a trip I get 65mpg from my 184 manual on.

And how annoying is start stop with DSG at junctions and roundabouts!!!

I can imagine it being fine on a petrol which like to rev or a diesel which does not see motorways or traffic.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
Gotta say I love my DSG in my 2.0 TDI (150), its not the best for an overtake or quick acceleration at 50mph+ UNLESS you use the kickdown or even better give the gearstick a click and pop it into sport for a few moments the click it back once you are back to sedate driving.

Also it is amazing for effortless 'take off' from traffic lights or down a slip road, there is no way I could (and I don't think many people) could change gears as smooth, fluid at the right point in the revs when flooring in in sport mode as the DSG does (Not while concentrating on whats going on around me and everything else, a straight line on an empty road maybe close but no way on a slip road for instance).

Edit: Oh and the start stop you get used to, if you know you will be stopped for a while then press the brake hard, want to pull away quick just press it lightly.....

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Essex
^ maybe it was the specific marriage with the 1.6tdi. I found it quicker to accelerate with half throttle which dropped it down 1 than to engage kickdown because that dropped it 2 or 3 which was too low and just left it revving its nuts off but not going anywhere.

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
^ maybe it was the specific marriage with the 1.6tdi. I found it quicker to accelerate with half throttle which dropped it down 1 than to engage kickdown because that dropped it 2 or 3 which was too low and just left it revving its nuts off but not going anywhere.

LOL, maybe thats the case then.

On a side note I am kind of glad the stop-start kicks in with just the brake pedal on the DSG as I did find when driving a little Fiat 500 once when given it as a loan car that I almost never activated its stop start due to me rarely fulfilling the criteria to initiate it (Full Stop, Clutch in, Handbrake applied, Take out of gear, Release clutch and break), I don't know if its any differnt in the Leon.

Jul 29, 2013
Essex
LOL, maybe thats the case then.

On a side note I am kind of glad the stop-start kicks in with just the brake pedal on the DSG as I did find when driving a little Fiat 500 once when given it as a loan car that I almost never activated its stop start due to me rarely fulfilling the criteria to initiate it (Full Stop, Clutch in, Handbrake applied, Take out of gear, Release clutch and break), I don't know if its any differnt in the Leon.

It just needs to be stopped in neutral on the manual. What I struggled with was coming to a stop at a junction or roundabout etc where I know im going to be moving again in 1 second. The DSG just kills the engine as soon as you stop but on the manual you just leave you foot on the clutch .

kopnyr

Nov 8, 2013
Nitra, Slovakia
My knowledge on DSG+Start/stop function: if you press brake pedal very light (but enought for stop the car) Start/stop doesnt stop motor. If you want to stop motor, brake pedal must be pressed little bit harder.

Do you have same experience ?

dw911

Mar 30, 2013
My knowledge on DSG+Start/stop function: if you press brake pedal very light (but enought for stop the car) Start/stop doesnt stop motor. If you want to stop motor, brake pedal must be pressed little bit harder.

Do you have same experience ?

I was the same as Deanc with regard to the stop start system when I first got the car, through the stop start was a pain in the butt
Soon as I realised how to use it as you state above I had no more problems with it

I would say this is my second leon with dsg and I think its brilliant, I think any flaws are not the fault of the dsg box, but because of emissions regulations and how the dsg ecu is programmed especially in normal mode, to keep the emissions down/fuel economy up and put the car into the lowest co2 band possible

I'd go as far as saying if they keep improving at the present rate it won't be long before manual gearboxes go the way of the starting handle and dsg type or something better becomes the norm

Suicida1 Zombie

Mar 19, 2013
I'd go as far as saying if they keep improving at the present rate it won't be long before manual gearboxes go the way of the starting handle and dsg type or something better becomes the norm

Gotta agree with you there......

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.