280 minor jerkiness / hestitation when accelerating

mrlynch

Aug 21, 2007
Hi all,

I've had my 280 (manual gearbox) just under a month and racked up around 1200 miles. One thing i've noticed is there seems to be some minor jerkiness/hesitation when accelerating gently in 1st/2nd/3rd gear.

I don't know if its an issue or just a characteristic of the engine?

Under full throttle there doesn't seem to be any issues and cruising at motorway speeds is also fine.

The first tank I put in V-Power and the last couple of tanks have been cheapo 95 ron although it felt the same. I'm going to try Tesco 99 next but was wondering if anyone else was experiencing similar?

mc-obesity

Ive got a DSG so i cant comment too much but i do remember people explaining that when they filled up with the Tesco 99 they noticed a massive improvement in the smoothness of gear changes compared with cheapo fuel and the Shell super duper fuel.
Might be worth a shot!

mrlynch

Aug 21, 2007
Yeah I used to get it in my Megane 250, although only when the engine was cold. This seems to be consistent regardless of engine temp.

-=Rob=-

Beer or Car?
Dec 14, 2002
South West
Visit site
Its a characteristic of tuned engines, I've had this on old and newish cars alike, even more so if they are tuned / re-mapped. Basically they want to get up and go and don't like pootling around :)

mrlynch

Aug 21, 2007
Just to update this thread, i've done another 400 miles or so on Tesco 99 and there definitely still seems to be some jerkiness/minor hesitation. If anything it's a bit worse with the recent cold/wet weather.

I think i'm going to stop by a dealer at some point soon, they'll probably tell me it's fine but it doesn't feel quite right to me.

I'll post again once it's been in.

RabRS

Aug 25, 2014
I've got a 280. Tesco 99 and no jerkiness to report. Mine is a manual. I've come from an Evo 6 so everything is awesome for me though, if you want part throttle jerkiness you should try an Evo! :rofl:

UTCIAD

Dorset
May 6, 2014
Bournemouth
I have a manual 280 too, no jerkiness or hesitation to report after 3000 miles, whichever fuel I use (mainly Tesco 99 but also BP and Shell on occasions), suggest you get the dealer to take a look...

mrlynch

Aug 21, 2007
Thanks everyone, i've got it booked in with the dealer next Weds - i'll post back how it goes.

mrlynch

Aug 21, 2007
So I took the 280 to the dealers today (Westerham Seat who were spot on), the mechanic drove it with me and plugged it into the diagnostics and everything checked out fine.

Guess i'll just have to avoid gentle acceleration :)

mrlynch

Aug 21, 2007
Yeah I had a look about at the time but they only had a DSG one available which I didn't think would be worth comparing.

I still think there is something not quite right so i'm just going to drive it as hard as I can until the problem gets worse and then they can fix it.

Benjiman

Sep 20, 2014
Bristol
Suffered something similar to mine at the weekend.. Parked up on Friday, after a decent drive (to an airfield!) and back. Got in it Sunday, and for the first half mile or so, it felt like it was being starved of fuel - really reluctant to go, almost lurching forward when pressing the throttle. Very odd. If it does it again, I'll be back to the dealer!

mrlynch

Aug 21, 2007
It does seem to be worse when the engine is cold, things improve slightly after the oil hits 80c or so but even then there is still some minor hesitations.

kmanmx

Jan 21, 2013
For what it's worth, my Ibiza diesel does this when I have my performance chip enabled (alters boost and fuel). The car is fine in all gears except first. In first, if you apply the throttle very gently when it's just above idle, it will be very twitchy and jumpy. Only in first gear, and only with very slight throttle press. As soon as I disable the performance chip, 1st gear is perfectly smooth.

Might give some indication of where the problem lies, as that performance chip increases boost and fueling. So it's one of those two (or a combination) that causes the issue. Perhaps the same for the 280.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.