2014 FR 150 ACT ST - temporarily decelerating when travelling at 50+mph

greggyt94

Feb 13, 2022
I bought this car about two weeks ago, and did first major journey in it over the weekend, approx. 350 miles each way with another 100 or so in between. I filled up before leaving and had no issues on the outward journey.

But the next day I was driving on the motorway and started to have an issue where the car would suddenly start to decelerate. I was using cruise control at the time set to 70 and it slowed very noticeably to about 64 before it felt as though the engine kicked back in and it went back up to 70, this then kept happening at seemingly random intervals but quite often (sometimes 2 mins, sometimes 5 or 10).

I tried turning cruise off but had the same issue, and this time I found that there was no response from the accelerator and it continued to decelerate lower than it had previously. I found that I had to tap the brake to get it to kick back in, as soon as I hit the brake and went back on the accelerator there was a response and I could go back to speed. This issue hasn't happened driving around town or at low speeds generally, I'd say it seems to only occur at 50+mph.

On the return journey I experimented a bit to see if I could find an issue, but the only thing I really noticed was that when it started decelerating, the fuel economy would go very low, down to about 13mpg before it kicked in again and the fuel economy recovered too. In general I would also say my fuel economy hasn't been amazing since the issue began, I averaged 39 on the return journey, doing 70 or lower depending on speed limits. ACT is working normally. After a second stop of the day after about 250 miles, I turned the car on and the engine management light had come on.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or had a similar issue? Something I read as a possibility for general deceleration problems in cars is a fuel filter problem, this made me wonder as the problem began when my fuel got down to under 1/4 of a tank, this is the first time the fuel had got this low since I've had the car.

I have had a look around and not found anyone mentioning this issue, but apologies if I've missed something!

Thanks in advance, and I'll go and get a diagnostics done tomorrow but thought it was worth asking on here.

greggyt94

Feb 13, 2022
OK thanks, I'll look into that. Just to note, I actually was on the way to having infotainment system upgrade when the issue started, so it was scanned then and nothing came up, but engine management didn't come on til later the next day

greggyt94

Feb 13, 2022
quick update, carista arrived so i plugged in, Basic OBD2 error code is P2177 'System Too Lean Off Idle Bank 1'. Codes under Engine - 17158, 07150, 17132, 12742, 02821. There are some other codes under electronics too 197644, 204290, 204549, 919304

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
I bought this car about two weeks ago, and did first major journey in it over the weekend, approx. 350 miles each way with another 100 or so in between. I filled up before leaving and had no issues on the outward journey.

But the next day I was driving on the motorway and started to have an issue where the car would suddenly start to decelerate. I was using cruise control at the time set to 70 and it slowed very noticeably to about 64 before it felt as though the engine kicked back in and it went back up to 70, this then kept happening at seemingly random intervals but quite often (sometimes 2 mins, sometimes 5 or 10).

I tried turning cruise off but had the same issue, and this time I found that there was no response from the accelerator and it continued to decelerate lower than it had previously. I found that I had to tap the brake to get it to kick back in, as soon as I hit the brake and went back on the accelerator there was a response and I could go back to speed. This issue hasn't happened driving around town or at low speeds generally, I'd say it seems to only occur at 50+mph.

On the return journey I experimented a bit to see if I could find an issue, but the only thing I really noticed was that when it started decelerating, the fuel economy would go very low, down to about 13mpg before it kicked in again and the fuel economy recovered too. In general I would also say my fuel economy hasn't been amazing since the issue began, I averaged 39 on the return journey, doing 70 or lower depending on speed limits. ACT is working normally. After a second stop of the day after about 250 miles, I turned the car on and the engine management light had come on.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or had a similar issue? Something I read as a possibility for general deceleration problems in cars is a fuel filter problem, this made me wonder as the problem began when my fuel got down to under 1/4 of a tank, this is the first time the fuel had got this low since I've had the car.

I have had a look around and not found anyone mentioning this issue, but apologies if I've missed something!

Thanks in advance, and I'll go and get a diagnostics done tomorrow but thought it was worth asking on here.
Fuel filter problems I would say are normally associated with Diesels and in winter.

SuperV8

May 30, 2019
quick update, carista arrived so i plugged in, Basic OBD2 error code is P2177 'System Too Lean Off Idle Bank 1'. Codes under Engine - 17158, 07150, 17132, 12742, 02821. There are some other codes under electronics too 197644, 204290, 204549, 919304
P2177 could be linked to air intake leaks/blockages.
Double check your air filter isn't blocked and all your joints/connections of the intake system are perfect and not leaking and are tight.

Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members