£600 to spare

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
Dodson said:
So is a short shifter really worth it?

I had one on my old 106 GTI and it was annoying cos it made it difficult to get into second gear at a fast rate.

Yes, it was fantastic on my old LCR, I would recommend the EIP version from Westec over the Neuspeed.

Oh and you don't need the EIP side to side reducer IMO

(Based on Feel's recommendation and he had tried both the above and the Dieselgeek version)

Ruddmeister

Everything in Moderation
Jun 23, 2003
Weston-super-Mare
en.wikipedia.org
TallFella said:
Just posted an e-mail to a place called Vag-tec (local) for Revo stage 1, Forge DV, short shift and dog bone mounts.

Let's see...

I think the Forge DV will take you over by £90 and I mentioned the parts costs which would assume you fitting them ;)

BUT see what they say first..........................:)

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
i was under the impression it was better teeing up any remap with a few choice mods such as exhuast and filter/induction kit to squeeze a few more horses/torque both prior to a remap and when remap time comes???

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
With stage 2 or custom, exhaust is probably worth it. If you do the whole thing and not just a cat-back. But not for £600 - the original list that m0rk posted is the one to do for the money.

Maybe stretch to a rear ARB as well (although the Cupra's I've driven push the front more than an LCR, so maybe not :shrug: ).

Don't get sucked into RR figures and pub talk - your money's better spent improving the feel/improving the drive.

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
I have a budget of about £500/600ish right now and I'm torn between what to go for mod wise. I'm after improving both power and feel.

I reckon i'll go this route:

1. exhaust + filter/dog bone mount, upper and lower front strut braces

2. then a little later: a long hard look at suspension/lowering options with a beady eye on a sensible non restrictive drop and retaining some comfort based on the **** back roads i have to drive

3. finally: custom remap

or i might just say bollocks to that and get a stage 1 revo!!! and worry about the rest later!!!!

going for the 5 hour trial soon so i'll decide which route to take after that depending on how i find the tial

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
CupraUK said:
Couldn't agree more! I think the order that I did them in was DV, Remap, Short Shift, Dog bone mount :lol:

i'd be lucky to get all that for 600 bangers up here in scotchland!!!

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
satilaboy said:
i'd be lucky to get all that for 600 bangers up here in scotchland!!!
Revo no, but if you went with one of the cheaper options then you should be ok. 100 quid for the short shifter, 60 for the DV, 40 for the dogbone mounts and 400 for a cheaper remap.

satilaboy

Jan 13, 2006
CupraUK said:
Revo no, but if you went with one of the cheaper options then you should be ok. 100 quid for the short shifter, 60 for the DV, 40 for the dogbone mounts and 400 for a cheaper remap.

i may just not know the right people but i've yet to find any trusted cheaper options up here that offer revo style gains or that i am confident in:cry: :cry: :cry:

and i've not maneged to source any short shifters or db mounts for those prices for the LC on the net

do DV's boost performance??? i thought they just made a daft sound and were a bit neddish (chavvy)?

Last edited:

Feel

Veedubya 'velle
Jun 12, 2003
Midlands
Revo is £399+VAT (£470) for your motor, then do the rest in stages. If you're that far up North, give Star a ring...

You don't HAVE to change the DV for example, they're just classed as a weak item - so save for it and do it later.

Powerflex dogbone mount bushes are something like £15 - if you fit them yourself.

Oh, and if you go Stage 2, your probably looking at a front mount...

CupraUK

Pushing on
Aug 15, 2005
Bedfordshire
Jabba is £375 including vat, so give up ciggies for a month or something to cover the petrol, and take a run down to Peterborough.

Alternatively, I don't know if this is possible, why not call them and find out if you can send your ECU to them, get it remapped then sent back.

cupra R con

Normal member
Mar 23, 2004
hell
when I did my car the most important thing to me was suspension.
it just so happened I did it at the same time as a remap.
front & rear anti roll bars & a decent set of springs will cost you about £500 fitted, you could add the extra & do the shocks at the same time, but this would add another £400ish.
With the remainder I would go with the dogbone mount & leave you standard shocks on for now.
budget blown for now, but you could just get the bush kit for the dogbone (a tad harsher than say an EIP) & maybe replace your front discs & pads (standard ATE discs & DS9000 pads) & just push the budget a little if you get them all fitted at the same time.

so your car will handle, get the power down & stop really well for under £700.
If you could find a mate to fit the above you would be within budget.
you will be so much faster everywhere because of the confidence factor you may resist that remap for a whole week ;)

hope thats helpful

:cheers:

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.