£90 for 300 miles distance.. is that right?

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Mornin' all.

I've become fed-up with the economy I'm getting from my Leon. It's costing me £90 to get to work and back. Clacton -> Ipswich -> Clacton. Monday to Friday. It's 300 miles per week.

When I first got the car, I was doing this journey for £50-60. What the hell happened?

On top of parking charges it's costing me £140 a week just to get there and park! It's forcing me to consider a DERV! :'(

Am I expecting too much from my Cupra? I swear to God the MPG was higher than this when I first began coming to Ipswich for work!

Oct 17, 2006
Mid Wales
If you're only getting 300 miles out of £90 of fuel - you're either wearing moonboots, driving everywhere in second or your car has issues IMO!!

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Could be a little moon-boot action.

I'm certain I've an MAF problem... I'm wondering if throwing my car at a decent garage may yield increased MPG.

You know what.. and I'm not proud to say this, guys.. but... this morning I checked Auto-trader for Focus TDCi.... There! I said it! Don't hate me! Embrace meee!

Seriously though: this sucks.

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Nah.

I mean, I enjoy a blast. It's pretty much the only reason I choose to drive each day, rather than train it up.

I love driving so I've been putting up with £500 a month petrol bills for commuting/social stuff.

Hmmf.. general consensus seems to be: this is not right, not right at all!

My driving style sees the MPG average as high as 30, often.. but more frequently at about 27ish. Even at these figures, I should be seeing a lot of miles from £90 V-Powah/Tesco99.

jonjay

50 Years of 911
Jun 27, 2005
Essex
for £90 quid i could do like 1000 miles! hehe

No seriously sounds like a problem, get it checked as it may lead to a bigger one.

UncleFester

Grumpier by the day!
Apr 30, 2006
Milton Keynes
www.facebook.com
350 miles to a tank (£50ish) from my derv and that's booting it like a nutter around MK (the only place i drive) - my overall average reads just under 30mpg.

If you're only getting 150miles from 45 quid of petrol then there's definitely something amiss. Not nescssarily a reason to change to a derv but definitely a good reason to get it checked.

TallFella

Hello Tom, come down Tom
Nov 6, 2003
Bedfordshiria
Visit site
The dead bodies in the boot with the concrete footwear are probably not helping. Drop them off somewhere convenient, yet secluded. Then you should see an improvement.

daveyonthemove

Smile if you like SEAT's
May 14, 2006
Wrexham
630 miles per tank on my derv machine ;)
300 miles on £90 sounds very high. My Bro's last car (Clio Williams) was better on fuel, and that was driven very hard.

Matt85

Feb 6, 2007
Bucks
Yup, something not right.

I do 300 miles a week to work too, and cost about £45-50.
I do get really good mpg though according to trip computer, (accuracy?) of around 33 to even 37 at times! :-o

My journey is normally pretty constant speed in traffic at about 60ish so I dont get to floor it toooo much :( but you should be getting better than that imo

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Well, I won't get into the stupid ePenis-size thing about what speed I do.. because it's childish and irresponsible (a.k.a fun), but I do fully acknowledge I need to slow down, across the board. But even then, I'm not getting enough miles from what is essentially two tanks of petrol!

Ok, I'm going to call my local garage today. Can anyone give me some clues as to what this lis *likely* to be.. obviously I won't hold anyone to it.. i.e. MAF faults, something iffy with over-fueling, whatever.

Thanks guys.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
definitely as above mate i do on average 350 miles per week local stuff,not even dual carriageways on a tank for £50-55:shrug:

ditto
full tank @ £55 last me about 300-350 miles
i do 175 a week commuting and alot of driving around in between.
Full tank averages me 10 days

are you using a 4bar fpr?
MAF?
lamda 1 problem?

LiCkWiD

LiCkWiD EvOLuTiON
Nov 15, 2006
Essex
Jesus, RikH :<

Here is how this week has panned out.

Sunday evening, fill-up at Tesco on Tesco99.. £55ish quid.

Work Monday, Tuesday and had to fill up en-route home Wednesday afternoon.

So here I am on Friday.. and I whacked £30 in Thursday morning.. and I've had to pop another £10 in this morning.

£95. And it'll be on the red with the light on once I'm home tonight.

RikH

Texas Cowboy
Oct 17, 2005
Yorkshire
something seriously wrong there mate
thats terrible economy

even after 10 days when i fill mine up it takes 40-45 litres so its still not empty, the light is never on.

general rule of thumb for everyone, dont trust or pay attention to the range/mpg on the cars computer as it lies badly and u will end up running out if you play petrol station bingo

Romeoisgraham

Mr Harris
Aug 14, 2007
On the run
public.fotki.com
I went from Glasgow to Milton Keynes and only spent £35, tbh my fuel consumption is poor in the town but good on motorway. My lc 04 was last serviced approx 6 months ago. Try using that shell optimax...............its dearer but I personally think its worth it.

Romeoisgraham

Mr Harris
Aug 14, 2007
On the run
public.fotki.com
something seriously wrong there mate
thats terrible economy

even after 10 days when i fill mine up it takes 40-45 litres so its still not empty, the light is never on.

general rule of thumb for everyone, dont trust or pay attention to the range/mpg on the cars computer as it lies badly and u will end up running out if you play petrol station bingo

My computer is always out...............I like to play Petrol station bingo, but one day :-o im gunna be caught out.

sheffboy

avoiding potholes
May 25, 2007
Jesus, RikH :<

Here is how this week has panned out.

Sunday evening, fill-up at Tesco on Tesco99.. £55ish quid.

Work Monday, Tuesday and had to fill up en-route home Wednesday afternoon.

So here I am on Friday.. and I whacked £30 in Thursday morning.. and I've had to pop another £10 in this morning.

£95. And it'll be on the red with the light on once I'm home tonight.

Somethings deffo wrong mate. I drive shall we say "spirited" on my regular commute and have never seen less than 270 to a full tank. If i take it easy i can get 310 and thats around the peak district's hills. sounds like you've got a fuel leak to me :(

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise