085 gearbox from Mk4 Polo

andyj

There's no F in Quality..
Would an 085 gearbox from a '99 Mk4 Polo 1.4 fit the '99 Mk2 Ibiza 1.4 I've bought for Em?!?

THe only reason I ask is that when I was changing the oil on Saturday, I noticed that there seems to be rather a large amount of oil all over the outer casing of the gearbox.

I'm guessing that 1 or more of the seals on the box has gone, causing the oil to leak everywhere.

1st job on Friday afternoon is going to be to check the level of the gearbox oil, and top up as necessary. Then check it again a week later to see if there has been any leakage.

The reason I'm asking about the Polo gearbox, is that there's a Mk4 Polo in a local scrap yard, that's only done 29k. So I'm thinking that it's probably been owned by someone who doesn't do many miles, i.e. Granny, and therefore won't have been abused etc. Going to give the guy a call and find out a price.

Replacing the 'box will be a last reasort. Going to check the oil etc first, and go from there.

Andy

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
get it really clean - use some hardcore degreaser on it - then you can see where/if its leaky

andyj

Good point ;)

I'm kinda wishing I'd been able to get my head under the front of the car when I viewed it.... might not be in the situation I'm in now!

Oh well, we all live and learn so to speak ! :D

At the end of the day, it's not going to cost me a fortune to fix, and it's pretty much all DIYable on a 1.4... he says ! ;)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
yeah - it's easy mate. hardest bit is lifting the new box back on (5 handed job due to centre of gravity)

m0rk

sarcasm comes free
Staff member
May 19, 2001
Clanfield, UK
didn't someone get a polo box only to find that the starter was in the wrong place?

I'll have a search

andyj

hmmm... interesting reading....

The engine in the Ibiza is APQ, and I'm pretty sure that the APQ was also used in the Mk4 Polo. But then again, there are about 20 different 1.4 engine codes used in the Ibiza/Polo.....

Might try and find the actual full gearbox code, 085**** and cross ref it to the one on the Polo I've found.

Andy

andyj

Had a good look yesterday when I changed the coolant, and it doesn't look to be as bad as I thought. There doesn't appear to be any 'fresh' oil on the case.

I've cleaned it up a bit, and I've also topped up the gearbox oil. It needed about 1/4L to bring it up to the right level. I was going to completely change the oil, but I'd only bought 2L, and the 085 needs 2.7-2.8L!

Something to do in a few weeks time when I get the chance.

Andy

Red Ibiza VR6

Dec 24, 2005
Sydney, Australia
All the ones I see here (in oz) blow up gearboxes through neglect and lack of oil. It can only really escape from the drive shaft seals or a hole, so you should be right. At lest they are plentiful and cheap in UK, they are $2000 here for a replacement 1.4 box!:censored:

Yumann

May 17, 2002
Glasgow
hmmm... interesting reading....

The engine in the Ibiza is APQ, and I'm pretty sure that the APQ was also used in the Mk4 Polo. But then again, there are about 20 different 1.4 engine codes used in the Ibiza/Polo.....

Might try and find the actual full gearbox code, 085**** and cross ref it to the one on the Polo I've found.

Andy

Where abouts on the gearbox is the code?

Cheers mate

Nimbus hosting - Based solely in the UK.