1.0 TSi DSG is there auto hold?

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
My wife has just purchased a 3 year old Ibiza 1.0 TSi Excellence DSG in Desire Red.
It's a lovely little car, very pleasant to drive, however I can't see that the DSG has any form of auto hold i.e. you stop briefly at traffic lights, press the brake and the car holds itself without you having to hold the brake pedal.

Is it because it has a manual handbrake, unlike my Leon that has an electric handbrake?

BocaBill

Mar 31, 2020
My wife has just purchased a 3 year old Ibiza 1.0 TSi Excellence DSG in Desire Red.
It's a lovely little car, very pleasant to drive, however I can't see that the DSG has any form of auto hold i.e. you stop briefly at traffic lights, press the brake and the car holds itself without you having to hold the brake pedal.

Is it because it has a manual handbrake, unlike my Leon that has an electric handbrake?
"Hill Hold" function would be activated in the Brake Control Unit via VCDS or a plug in OBDeleven device IF the vehicle itself has it physically fitted

Reactions: oldglosracer

RADIOTWO

Mar 6, 2018
North Derbyshire

has it not got a switch on the centre console ? A picture would be good

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
My 2020 VW Polo GTI+ has DSG transmission with manual handbrake, so same setup as @oldglosracer ’s wife’s Ibiza. There’s no auto hold function in my car like there is in a car with an electronic parking brake, so when coming to a stop, it’s necessary to keep your foot on the brake pedal when the transmission’s in ‘D‘ to stop the car moving forward. I dare say this is the same in the Ibiza.

Alternatively, you could pull on the handbrake and put the transmission into park or neutral, and then reselect ‘D‘ and release the handbrake when ready to move again. That’s not for me though - I find that’s far too much faffing about.

My car does have Hill Hold Assist which delays releasing the brakes (I think it’s around a 3 second delay?) when stopped on an incline. Presumably that’s to stop the risk of roll back if there’s any delay in the DSG clutches re-engaging when releasing your foot off the brake pedal. There’s no switch or button for Hill Hold Assist on the centre console in my car.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
My 2020 VW Polo GTI+ has DSG transmission with manual handbrake, so same setup as @oldglosracer ’s wife’s Ibiza. There’s no auto hold function in my car like there is in a car with an electronic parking brake, so when coming to a stop, it’s necessary to keep your foot on the brake pedal when the transmission’s in ‘D‘ to stop the car moving forward. I dare say this is the same in the Ibiza.

Alternatively, you could pull on the handbrake and put the transmission into park or neutral, and then reselect ‘D‘ and release the handbrake when ready to move again. That’s not for me though - I find that’s far too much faffing about.

My car does have Hill Hold Assist which delays releasing the brakes (I think it’s around a 3 second delay?) when stopped on an incline. Presumably that’s to stop the risk of roll back if there’s any delay in the DSG clutches re-engaging when releasing your foot off the brake pedal. There’s no switch or button for Hill Hold Assist on the centre console in my car.
Thanks, sounds like this is what we have.
Just want to make sure, so she knows how it behaves. Her previous automatic had auto hold, but it did have an electric handbrake also.

Impressed with it so far, seems to do 50mpg without trying.

Only issue so far is the key battery needed replacing, so kessy would not work, but that was an easy fix.

The doors make a clang, but other than that, seems a quality product.

I assume annual servicing is better than flexible to keep the oil clean. She only does about 8k miles a year.

Is the timing belt, every 5 years?

Thanks.

Rich

SRGTD

May 26, 2014
Thanks, sounds like this is what we have.
Just want to make sure, so she knows how it behaves. Her previous automatic had auto hold, but it did have an electric handbrake also.

Impressed with it so far, seems to do 50mpg without trying.

Only issue so far is the key battery needed replacing, so kessy would not work, but that was an easy fix.

The doors make a clang, but other than that, seems a quality product.

I assume annual servicing is better than flexible to keep the oil clean. She only does about 8k miles a year.

Is the timing belt, every 5 years?

Thanks.

Rich

I’m a low annual mileage driver so I go for annual servicing - even with the technical advances in modern engine oils, I don’t like to leave a car potentially up to two years between services. Sorry, can’t answer your question regarding timing belt change intervals as my VW has a version of VAG’s 2.0 litre EA888 engine which has a timing chain.

oldglosracer

Oct 27, 2022
Picture as requested.
IMG_20230213_184316286.jpg

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.