Doc Leon

Jan 19, 2020
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone has driven both of these FR petrol and diesel models? How do they compare?

They both have very similar 0-60s on paper even though the diesel has 34 more BHP and a lot more torque which confused me a little.

Reactions: Joshua Oakes

Seriously?

Apr 20, 2018
I assume diesel version is heavier for a start. The trouble with 0-60 times is there's too many variables; how many gear changes it takes petrol vs diesel for example. Sure it's a handy indicator of the general performance of a vehicle, but maybe the 30-70 times are a better real world test.

Reactions: Jimbobcook

Big Col

Nov 5, 2013
North Ayrshire
simply using 0-60 times is a poor way to compare cars.

for a lot of people the petrol v diesel thing comes down to how many miles you do and what type of journeys.

on the 150 v 184 subject the 184 has bigger brakes and the trick rear suspension over the 150.

Doc Leon

Jan 19, 2020
I agree with what you guys are saying and that’s why I wanted to know if anyone has driven both models and can compare how they feel.
My commutes would make either the diesel or the petrol a suitable choice and in the second hand market you can get similar ages and specs of these models for comparable prices.

BoomerBoom

Jun 1, 2018
The diesel will pull harder at the lower rev range, while the petrol pulls fairly consistently (but much less) to the rev limit.

Don't underestimate how much difference the diesel engine makes to the handling, it's double the weight of the petrol engine and adds a huge amount to understeer, the independent rear suspension is a small bonus.

DPF problems have put me off diesels after 30 years, also the higher cost of the fuel reduces the financial benefits for those doing a high mileage.

Woody_72

May 10, 2020
Northwest England
I agree, I've been up to the lakes a few times for work in my diesel 184 and it's not a car for fast windy roads. The engine weighs a ton and you can feel it! As a motorway cruiser, however, it's superb and very economical.

BigJase88

Jase
Apr 20, 2008
The diesel will feel faster than the equivalent bhp petrol. Torque makes a decent difference to driveability.

petrol’s you always need to drop them a few cogs, i did a couple of overtake in my 1.5tsi yesterday after driving my van for a while (diesel turbo) and forgot to change down and i went nowhere! Was almost dangerous

Reactions: Woody_72

Rooster

Oct 27, 2018
Yorkshire
Hi, i drove a few of both prior to purchase, i would have probably been happy with a diesel, and then i tried the 1.4 ACT and was completely hooked. It is a brilliant engine, smooth, quiet, economical and quite punchy, if you look at the torque curve it builds from low revs and flattens out until about 4500 so i find the swiftest progress is to change up at about that point and let the torque do it's stuff all over again. It's purely down to individual preference so it's a good excuse to road test a few! Hope you get sorted.

Last edited:

Doc Leon

Jan 19, 2020
Thanks for the replies. Really helpful.
My issue with the 1.8 is the economy if I’m doing lots of miles.
I have been dead set on the petrol 150 version as it seems to be a really good all rounder but was just entertaining the idea of the diesel for the added grunt and similar economy.
I need to test drive but still preferring the petrol at the minute.

Mr Pig

Jun 17, 2015
I've not had a 184 but we own both a diesel and petrol 150 FR. I've also had a diesel 150 Golf.

I don't agree about the diesel causing terrible understeer. It's fine. Both cars handle well. The engines feel completely different. The petrol feels perkier and spools up quicker but to go fast you need to rev it. At low revs the diesel feels lazy but starts to pull at 2k revs so overall it's a more relaxing drive. I wouldn't say one is worse than the other, they're just different.

I think the DPF issue is overblown. We put 75k on a Leon doing mostly short trips, no issues. The golf had 110K on it, no issues. And if you do have a blocked DPF you can get it cleaned or replaced, it's just not that big a deal.

Reactions: Doc Leon

Lozzy15

Mods mods mods
Staff member
Mar 24, 2015
Ilkeston, Derbyshire
I've come from a 1.9TDi Audi A4 and Golf to the 1.4 150 ACT Leon. I am more than happy with the transition and don't feel like I'm lacking the power I got from my previous cars. I have mapped the 1.4 and it is even better, however it was good before, so don't think that would be a necessity if you go for one.

I can't comment on the diesel Leon as I haven't driven one. But as said it will have bigger brakes and independent rear suspension. That being said, the rigid beam suspension on the 1.4 is still fairly good. I've took mine round a track and it impressed and performed better than previous cars I've driven.

Adrian Flux insurance services - discount for forum members.