1.4 ecotsi 150 occasional clutch judder

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
Anyone else have this issue and is there a fix for it?

When driving off in 1st gear there’s a judder through the clutch. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Seems to be worse when I have a passenger next to me strangely.

Car is approaching 60k mileage and bite point is fine, no slipping of the clutch, no crunching gears etc.

adam davies

Dec 30, 2019
Anyone else have this issue and is there a fix for it?

When driving off in 1st gear there’s a judder through the clutch. Doesn’t happen all the time though. Seems to be worse when I have a passenger next to me strangely.

Car is approaching 60k mileage and bite point is fine, no slipping of the clutch, no crunching gears etc.
Sounds like a driver issue, pull of using only the clutch or be smoother with clutch eg dont let it out as fast.

martin j.

Feb 11, 2007
Fife
I get a similar issue but seems only to happen when the car is used the first time after sitting, very slight(SWMBO) doesn’t notice it, our street has an uphill gradient, wether this is makes it feel worse I don’t know, possibly clutch release arm sticky until used I don’t know, I just was living with it as it is soon operating normally.
I don’t notice it every time btw, possibly cold weather makes it worse.

Last edited:

Rockbox

Apr 6, 2018
There's a few that do it it's been mentioned on here in the past.
Mine does it every now and then normally when cold first thing in the morning.
It normally lasts a couple of days then doesn't come back for a while.
Nothing to do with driving style in 99% of cases.

Reactions: martin j.

hawkx617

Mar 18, 2024
Mine (2016 FR150) is doing this too - first noticed it last Easter. It'll do it for a day or so constantly, then be fine for several months. I don't think it's anything bad as the car has covered 20k since first doing it (63k now). My judder is quite severe - the whole car shakes.

How is yours doing - did you ever get to the bottom of it? Mine definitely isn't driver related. The only option seems to be to slip the clutch when pulling away, or floor it. Just for the record, I do irregular track days and am quite happy rev matching at high RPM, heel toeing, etc, so I know how to use the clutch properly!

It doesn't seem to be when cold - mine will just randomly do it at one set of lights and then carry on for the next day or so. I think, if I'm honest, mine does it when it's hot or been driven. I did read it was something to do with the anti-slip?

Thanks!

MA1601

Jan 3, 2023
Mine (2016 FR150) is doing this too - first noticed it last Easter. It'll do it for a day or so constantly, then be fine for several months. I don't think it's anything bad as the car has covered 20k since first doing it (63k now). My judder is quite severe - the whole car shakes.

How is yours doing - did you ever get to the bottom of it? Mine definitely isn't driver related. The only option seems to be to slip the clutch when pulling away, or floor it. Just for the record, I do irregular track days and am quite happy rev matching at high RPM, heel toeing, etc, so I know how to use the clutch properly!

It doesn't seem to be when cold - mine will just randomly do it at one set of lights and then carry on for the next day or so. I think, if I'm honest, mine does it when it's hot or been driven. I did read it was something to do with the anti-slip?

Thanks!
Unfortunately I didn’t get to the bottom of it. To be honest it doesn’t happen much now and when it does it’s totally random. One thing that I have noticed is that it doesn’t really happen when I have the AC on. The idle revs are slightly higher when AC is on so maybe that helps?