1.4 ECOTSI - High Miles / MPG

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
I'm guessing that those figures are from the trip computer? Brimming the car from the fuel light will get approx. 10 gallons in (45.5l) so the average for a tank of about 50mpg

Yes that is trip computer, an yet to do a true calculation. Will do it soon and then adjust the trio computer in vcds to give a more accurate reading.

Got 62.8mpg this morning on TC

R4CK5

Mar 8, 2017
Forgot to mention that the figures quote in my original post off the trip computer were the 'since start figures, the 'since refuel figures appear to be consistent with my mileage between fill ups at 51mpg. I'm fairly happy that the TC figures are accurate enough got what I need.

SpeedBlade

May 13, 2017
I have the 2017 1.4 FR, every morning I do 48 miles to work along the M4 and the M5. Most I have ever got out of mine is 54mpg and I can do about 450/500 miles per tank.

The comment about performance and noise I'm not really sure what the older versions were like, however mine almost sounds like a 90s touring car when I put my foot down and let the DSG gear box redline. I have never had an issue of lacking performance either. Foot down and way you go!

KXL

KXL
Dec 15, 2016
London, UK
The comment about performance and noise I'm not really sure what the older versions were like, however mine almost sounds like a 90s touring car when I put my foot down and let the DSG gear box redline. I have never had an issue of lacking performance either. Foot down and way you go!

I think it's all down to previous cars we have driven, and the difference in engine characteristics. Currently I have a 110PS Ibiza 1.0 EcoTSi. After driving my dad's Mni One 1.4 NA with 95PS (and an auto box (2 secs slower to 62mph compard to manual)), the Ibiza feels quick. However before this I had a 2.0 TDI 150 Leon, and if foot down it feels like you are taking off in a plane (shove in the back feeling).
I cannot get this same feeling in the Ibiza despite the car being ~ 200 kg lighter (1335 vs 1140) with 40PS / 120NM deficit. Power delivery is different. For example if you are coming from a 2.0 TDI 184 to a 1.4TSI 150, you will find wanting more.

On paper 1.4 EcoTsi and 2.0 TDI both have 150 PS. On a straight up drag...EcoTsi should win, as it's lighter, despite lower torque figures. (at least it says so on the spec sheet anyway).

On a rolling in gear drag...i doubt the petrol can pull away from the diesel (eg...3rd gear 2k revs...foot flat). As it has the 320NM....

Or like my flatmate, who had a 8-9 year old 60PS (if even that 10 yrs on) 1.0 VH Corsa. When she first sat in the Leon, and I put my foot flat down coming out of a slow roundabout onto the motorway, it was a rocketship to her, with squeals/shreiks of excitement or fear, I don't know which. Perhaps this would be me also, if I sit in a Cupra.

Last edited:
Chris Knott Insurance - Competitive quotes for forum members