1.4 TSI vs 1.8 TSI (Manual) on the road

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
I new Cupra has almost the same torque (258N), I wonder if you won't notice the difference between the 1.4 version and the 1.8 version as well. :whistle:

Jun 15, 2013
I have owned both.

The MPG is almost identical, but then I can only achieve 35mpg tops in either based on the way I drive.

You must be absolutely ragging the 1.4 TSi to get only 35 mpg. My average for the 6 1/2 months I have owned has been a true 45 mpg, the dash says almost 50 mpg but that is a liar.

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
Don't worry! I have never really understood exactly what torque is, let alone how you measure it!

Someone once said, When driving into a wall the bhp defines how fast you will hit the wall, the torque defines how far will you carry the wall with you.

gaffer1986

That's a good way of putting it, I always think of torque as world's strongest man and horsepower as Usain Bolt. Torque is ability to push weight and horsepower is ability to spin quickly. That's why diesels can have higher gearing and lower revs at high speed.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scrich7

Oct 6, 2013
Bedford
The 1.4 is a great engine, I remember test driving it and being hugely impressed by its abilities. In the end I still went for the 1.8 though. I wanted a step up in terms of driving fun from my previous car, and the ride felt better in the 1.8 also.

labmousee

Geek
Dec 22, 2013
Israel
The 1.4 is a great engine, I remember test driving it and being hugely impressed by its abilities. In the end I still went for the 1.8 though. I wanted a step up in terms of driving fun from my previous car, and the ride felt better in the 1.8 also.

It's a great engine! Do you have the manual or the DSG version?

Jun 15, 2013
Don't worry! I have never really understood exactly what torque is, let alone how you measure it!

To put it as simply as I can.

Before engines were invented everything was measured in horsepower (or manpower). If you had one horse you had one horsepower. Some horses were bigger and stronger than others but lets not get hung up on that.

When steam engines were invented the torque they produced was measured by seeing how much weight could be lifted at the end of a bar a foot long, that is why torque is expressed as lbs/ft.

But then as now no one could understand what that really meant, they understood horses thus the formula

lbs/ft of torque x rpm where the torque is produced = BHP

(5252 is a constant that applies to all engines)

So to apply that to the 1.4 TSi and calculate the bhp produced at 3500 rpm where 184 lbs/ft of torque is produced

184 x 3500 = 122.6 bhp

From that calc we can see that the new 1.4 TSi actually has the same bhp at 3500 rpm as the old 1.4 TSi had at peak rpm, that is why it feels and is so quick.

Since both the 1.4TSi and 1.8TSi have exactly the same max torque up to 3500 rpm they both produce exactly the same bhp. Only above 3500 rpm does the 1.8 TSi have an advantage, by 4000 rpm the 1.8 TSi is producing 140 bhp which is the same as the 1.4 TSi produces at its peak.

Reactions: J400uk

gaffer1986

That was a good explanation, I never knew they used torque to calculate horse power. So can you work it back the other way and find out how much torque the 1.4 and 1.8 produce at peak power?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Stegor

Jul 17, 2011
The 2 engines have different gear ratios so the simple formula doesn't translate simply to the front axle.

Jun 15, 2013
The 2 engines have different gear ratios so the simple formula doesn't translate simply to the front axle.

According to the brochure I was given when i bought my car the 2 cars (1.4 TSi and 1.8 TSi) have exactly the same gear and diff ratios.

Even if the didn't it would be irrelevant since we are talking about flywheel bhp and torque figures.

SEATCUPRA.NET Forum merchandise